News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket gas tank venting

Started by PA Dodger, October 29, 2018, 05:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dodger

I just wrapped up the fuel pump and fuel level sending unit install on my Tanks Inc gas tank. The tank and pump I'm using is their EFI tank that has a vent nipple on top of the tank and another on the electric fuel pump plate. The setup came with a vent that is supposed to be mounted as high as the filler or as high as possible.  I'm using this tank setup to feed my carbureted big block stroker. I would think the factory vent (69 Charger) would be sufficient. Can I just run the factory vent? What are my options if I need the use the tank vent?

Thanks
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Rubberduck

I have the same tank mounted for my FiTech. I positioned the vent above the rear axle. No problems so far. Before I had it mounted in the trunk on top of the inner rear fender.
There was always a gas smell in the car.

Mario
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

303 Mopar

Make sure you vent BOTH. I ran a vent line above the rear axel on the bottom of the trunk floor.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

PA Dodger

Sounds good. I wasn't sure if the additional vent was needed since the fuel system is already vented along the filler neck.
Thanks

4spEd

Same tank and also running  fitech. I put a new hose on the filler vent nipple thats there from the factory, ran it into the II Much vent and so far several thosand miles hot and cold weather no issues. Never here venting when I open gas cap so to me this setup is fine.

PA Dodger

The instructions show the external vent being plumbed as high as the top of the filler neck. My concern was gas coming out through this vent when the tank gets full if it was mounted lower than shown.

303 Mopar

Quote from: PA Dodger on October 30, 2018, 06:37:15 PM
The instructions show the external vent being plumbed as high as the top of the filler neck. My concern was gas coming out through this vent when the tank gets full if it was mounted lower than shown.

The vent provided by tanksinc has a check valve, so no fuel can escape if you overfill or roll over. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

JR

Im using the same tank on a TBI setup.

When I did it, I followed tanks inc's instructions and left the factory vent tube unused.

At first, I mounted the rollover vent valve under the car, above the rear axle. Within 20 min of driving at an autocross, the fuel filled up the rollover valve and started causing problems.

Then, I tried mounting it low in the trunk. Same thing happened.

The instructions state that it must be even with the top of the filler neck, so I finally said to hell with it and mounted it within the sail panel. That finally solved the issue. It's worked great for two years.

The 2nd gen charger is one of the few cars this is an issue on. Most other cars have the fuel filler mounted lower, and this problem never arises.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

PA Dodger

"At first, I mounted the rollover vent valve under the car, above the rear axle. Within 20 min of driving at an autocross, the fuel filled up the rollover valve and started causing problems.
Then, I tried mounting it low in the trunk. Same thing happened.
The instructions state that it must be even with the top of the filler neck, so I finally said to hell with it and mounted it within the sail panel. That finally solved the issue. It's worked great for two years."

"The vent provided by tanksinc has a check valve, so no fuel can escape if you overfill or roll over." 

Some have mounted it low with no issues. Others had to mount it high. I'm leery about gas venting into the trunk,sail panel, or any other interior location but that would be the only option to get it as high as the filler. I'll try mounting above the axle and move it if it becomes an issue.

JR-What kind of issues? Fuel sloshing out? Vent closing off causing loss of venting?   

JR

It was over two years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I was participating in an autocross when fuel started pouring into the vent tube, and not letting the fuel vapor vent.

I was having trouble with the engine stalling suddenly, and I got black flagged for a fuel leak from the rear of the vehicle.
As soon as I checked it, I found fuel seeping out of the rollover valve, and the hose leading up to it filled with fuel.

Here's a good explanation from tanks inc as to what happened.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/07/31/tech-101-the-hows-and-whys-of-installing-a-tanks-inc-rollover-vent-valve/
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green