News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vacuum canister

Started by elks, November 03, 2018, 10:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elks

Hello people can you me what color the vacuum canister under the battery box.

Lennard

elks

71charger_fan

What is the function of the vacuum canister? My heat wasn't working and I found no vacuum signal at the heater valve. I had 20" of vacuum from the engine to the vacuum canister but zero vacuum coming from the canister. So I hooked the vacuum line from the canister out directly to manifold vacuum and bypassed the canister. Is the canister something worth going to the trouble of removing and trying to fix?

HANDM

Yes, 20+ years ago mine was rusted through so i cut the top off and used a broth can the same size and wouldn't you know, it was exactly the same, ribs and all.
Painted it black and installed

JimShine

Quote from: 71charger_fan on April 29, 2022, 06:31:53 PM
What is the function of the vacuum canister?

It is actually acting as a reservoir. It holds a surplus of vacuum to smooth out the surges in vacuum when the headlight doors are opening and closing. When they dumped the vacuum powered headlight doors, the reservoir went with it. When it is a good one, it will not leak at all. You can even actuate the doors open or closed once with the engine off.

71charger_fan

My '71 has the vacuum canister and electric headlight doors. That's why I'm wondering if there's any practical reason to repair or replace the canister.

JimShine

Your era car obviously needs it for something else. The 1968-9 Chargers had the reservoir running right between the intake and headlight door vacuum switch. So when they went to electric in 1970, they ditched the reservoir.  

I ran my 1969 without one for 18 years without one. The doors opened, just very sluggishly.