News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb base plate burr

Started by 440, November 04, 2018, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best way to clean up this burr, emery cloth and a bit of oil or a hone? I can feel it with my finger nail, could this be cause for a slightly erratic idle?

c00nhunterjoe

The ring around where the throttle plates close, near the bottom of the transfer slot.

c00nhunterjoe

I dont see that affecting anything unless the butterfly is catching it. You could probably knock it off with a pocket screwdriver.

I can see it affecting the idle as Holley even say to hold the base plate up to a light to ensure the plates are centered as it would affect idle if not centered. I cleaned it up as best I could without going too aggressive on it.

I also tried to order a new throttle shaft as well but apparantly Holley hasn't made the early style shafts for 10 years. I managed to get the teflon strips in the primary side which fixed the worn/wobbly throttle shaft, but I'm not convinced they will last long. Man those things were a bitch to get in. The worn base plate is what allowed the throttle plates to rub the bore causing the "ring"

The other option is a reamer/ bush kit which by that stage a new base plate is likely a cheaper solution.

c00nhunterjoe

If it is not catching the butterfly, the idle transfer slot gap is correctly centered, and the engine idle is not too high, it is not a problem.