News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

photobucket

Started by Chargen69, November 06, 2018, 07:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargen69

I havent been paying attention, but just noticed my avatar and signature were showing up again.  did photobucket pull back from that stupid idea of charging people?

c00nhunterjoe

c00nhunterjoe

It would appear so. At least for now.

Mopar Nut

You can log into Photobucket free for awhile now.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Chargen69

oh well, whats the best one to use for free sharing?

Mopar Nut

I use my own computer, easy to resize.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

AKcharger

They slit their own throat, who would trust them now. Mine are back with a lil photobucket banner

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Chargen69

so you guys are hosting from your own computer?

birdsandbees

I downsize and post the actual pictures here. That way when some prick like Photobucket holds you for ransom the pictures don't disappear out of your "help" threads !  :scratchchin:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mopar Nut

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 07, 2018, 01:41:33 PM
I downsize and post the actual pictures here. That way when some prick like Photobucket holds you for ransom the pictures don't disappear out of your "help" threads !  :scratchchin:

:iagree:

Chargen69

Guess its a new day then, i thought we were supposed to load the pictures somewhere else to save Troy bandwidth

AKcharger

Troy boosted pic size to 450K I believe. And if he needs more band with I'll send him $$$

Chargen69

Troy

Quote from: Chargen69 on November 07, 2018, 03:51:34 PM
Guess its a new day then, i thought we were supposed to load the pictures somewhere else to save Troy bandwidth
I never advocated that. We're basically on an unlimited bandwidth plan right now. The limitation is hard drive space but we're not in danger of running out just yet. My issue previously was people loading the same picture multiple times (or with every post because they couldn't figure out how to make it a signature) which chews up the hard drive AND bandwidth because, programmatically, it seems like a bunch of unique pictures when they are really the same. I used Photobucket to store large albums of car shows pictures that I could share anywhere. I'd post maybe 15 or 20 Charger related pictures here then a link to the album so there weren't 300 pictures in a thread and I could mix in other cars. Of course that obviously backfired as I now have hundreds (if not thousands) of dead links strewn across the internet. I deleted nearly 17k pictures from Photobucket when they tried to extort money and still haven't fixed everything.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

alfaitalia

Just out of interest Troy...how many TB of hard drive are you playing with and how much is yet to be filled? I'm guessing it's a little more than the 2Tb in my home PC!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 11, 2018, 02:28:56 PM
Just out of interest Troy...how many TB of hard drive are you playing with and how much is yet to be filled? I'm guessing it's a little more than the 2Tb in my home PC!
Haha, TB... ;)

A hosting environment is a completely different animal than a home PC. I have something like 14 TB at home but nothing close to that in the server environment. Server hard drives are designed to be under load 24/7 with very fast response times so they're typically much more expensive than home PC drives. On top of that, they're usually installed as an "array" with redundancy so you're buying a lot more than you can technically use. This site has been on a dedicated server since 2005 since many "shared" hosting plans have really low limits (something like 1-5 GB included but a charge for everything above it). For over a decade, uploaded pictures were limited to 200KB so that's ~5 per MB or 5,000 per GB. There are just under 260,000 images on the site today. It sounds like a lot but, honestly, it can all fit on a decent thumb drive. The hard drives are included with the server so there's not a monthly charge but backup space currently costs almost as much as hosting the site.

The attached shows Amazon's Lightsail (cloud!) hosting service tiers (NOT what the site is on). Even the highest one doesn't have much disc space. The majority of web sites don't have a lot of content so the ability to handle high concurrent loads is more important than drive space. Obviously content providers like YouTube and storage/sharing sites like Photobucket would be exceptions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

AKcharger

I see they now resorted to "blurring" images in addition to their massive watermarks...I'll be surprised if they're still in business in 8 more months. Luckily I updated most of my important photos here. May Photobucket burn in hell!