News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where does this wire go?

Started by Dino, November 06, 2018, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Brown tracer wire behind the instrument cluster. I don't see where it goes. I thought it went to the washer button but that's a plain brown wire and it's in place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Oh wait a minute...is that for 3 speed wipers only? Mine's a 2 speed.

A383Wing

brown wire usually plugs into wiper switch for back up light power....at least it does on mine

green69rt

Went out and took some pictures.  Found the switch has 7 connections.

Pic #1 is the back of my switch.  I hope you can count the 7 connections. Washer switch has 2 tabs.
Pic #2 is the connector that goes on the back.  Only 5 holes.  Standard on all harnesses.
Pic #3 shows the plugs.  Brown with tracer is a mystery,  I can't find it on any drawing.  But if you do a continuity check that wire is connected to the 5 hole plug which also has a brown w tracer.  Right now mine is just hanging out in the air.  Brown w/no trace for both is for 2SP and 3SP, and 2 more plugs that are tied together that go on the washer button.

Dino

Alright, left it unhooked and everything seems to work still.   :2thumbs:

mopar0166

BLK 68 R/T

Pretty sure you are correct that it is not needed with 2 speed wipers. Mine is 2 speed as well and this wire is not connected either.

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on November 09, 2018, 11:05:52 AM
Pretty sure you are correct that it is not needed with 2 speed wipers. Mine is 2 speed as well and this wire is not connected either.

If you look at the back of my 3SP switch, you can see a resistor wired across the two teminals that are shown on you diagram as "resistance cable".  I would bet that the resistor is used to give the third speed.  So what's the mystery wire?  My guess is that is a wire left over from an old design.  Mopar never deleted the wire from its drawings when the design changed to the resistor, just left the wire on the harness design.  Changed the wiring diagram but never changed the specs on the harness.  Remember that when these were done that these drawings and other documents were all done manually.  No AutoCad or word processors such to make changes easy.  :shruggy:

Anyway, not needed.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: green69rt on November 09, 2018, 02:31:03 PM

If you look at the back of my 3SP switch, you can see a resistor wired across the two teminals that are shown on you diagram as "resistance cable".  I would bet that the resistor is used to give the third speed.  So what's the mystery wire?  My guess is that is a wire left over from an old design.  Mopar never deleted the wire from its drawings when the design changed to the resistor, just left the wire on the harness design.  Changed the wiring diagram but never changed the specs on the harness.  Remember that when these were done that these drawings and other documents were all done manually.  No AutoCad or word processors such to make changes easy.  :shruggy:

Anyway, not needed.

Did a quick google search on the 3 speed wiper switch and found this. Is the ceramic block with the wire on it what you referring to? the bottom tab on the 3 speed switch is not present on a 2 speed switch so the wire just hangs out behind the dash.

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on November 09, 2018, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: green69rt on November 09, 2018, 02:31:03 PM

If you look at the back of my 3SP switch, you can see a resistor wired across the two teminals that are shown on you diagram as "resistance cable".  I would bet that the resistor is used to give the third speed.  So what's the mystery wire?  My guess is that is a wire left over from an old design.  Mopar never deleted the wire from its drawings when the design changed to the resistor, just left the wire on the harness design.  Changed the wiring diagram but never changed the specs on the harness.  Remember that when these were done that these drawings and other documents were all done manually.  No AutoCad or word processors such to make changes easy.  :shruggy:

Anyway, not needed.

Did a quick google search on the 3 speed wiper switch and found this. Is the ceramic block with the wire on it what you referring to? the bottom tab on the 3 speed switch is not present on a 2 speed switch so the wire just hangs out behind the dash.

That's a good picture and yes, that ceramic block is the resister.  I notice the bottom tab is labeled as being the attachment point of the brown w tracer wire that hangs behind the dash.  I traced that wire and it goes into the harness, turns around and comes back out at the switch plug.  So if you connected it, it would just bypass the ceramic resister.  So, the question is "is that right?"  Like I said in my last post, I think it is a left over plug from an earlier design.  But, I'm certainly open to agreeing with another option.

BLK 68 R/T

Anyone know how the 3 speed wiper switch works as far as what wires control what speeds of the motor? Does it have an internal resistor as well for speed 1, and speed 2 is through the external mounted resistor, and speed 3 is bypassing the external resistor via the brown w/tracer wire when connected?
Sorry for the thread hijack on how the wiper switch functions  :cheers: