News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Fender(s) AMD vs used ones

Started by 69RT/Chrgr, November 09, 2018, 12:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RT/Chrgr

I am moving along with my charger restoration and have come to a crossroad, My LF fender is much worse that I realized and after searching for a while I haven't really found a decent used one. I found a pair, but even those need some work and are more money than new ones. My RF is pretty nice so I am wondering if I can get some help from experience.

How is the quality of the AMD fenders? will I be happy bolting a LF fender on with my stock hood and door? will they line up? except for whatever dings they may get from shipping, will they require a lot of work? I have heard guys that have bought aftermarket fenders ( not the Charger AMD ones ) that need to start diegrinding the slots to get them lined up and still aren't happy.

Also wondering if I go this route are 2 fenders better than just one? Will the factory hood line up or will I end up changing that and the valance too?

Thanks in advance for input

Duane

hemi-hampton

Myself I usually prefer fixing originals unless they are totally wasted & to far gone. Last time I restored a Mopar I had one original Fender & one After market Fender. The Owner insisted I use these 2 Fenders & wouldn't listen to me. Once he bolted on the 2 Fenders the original fit perfect & he was extremely pissed off on how poor the aftermarket fit. Fit Terrible.  :brickwall:

gtx6970

I used an AMD drivers side fender. The area on the of the fender that mirrors the top leading edge of the door was way off compared to the door.
ended up running a weld bead along the edge of the fender and shaping it by hand to match the door

The front edge of the fender right beside the grille is a little different from an original ,but depending on color you may or may not notice it . Then again if you know what to look for it will stick out like a sore thumb,,,irregardless of color.

green69rt

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 09, 2018, 07:58:39 PM
I used an AMD drivers side fender. The area on the of the fender that mirrors the top leading edge of the door was way off compared to the door.
ended up running a weld bead along the edge of the fender and shaping it by hand to match the door

The front edge of the fender right beside the grille is a little different from an original ,but depending on color you may or may not notice it . Then again if you know what to look for it will stick out like a sore thumb,,,irregardless of color.

Both AMD. Both needed work to look right.  Body lines are not as sharp.  Sometimes the profile on the top leading edge (area around the headlights) is not the same between left and right and doesn't match OEM.  Match of where the fender meets the cowl.  Profile where the fender lines up with the door.  Nothing huge just lots of problems.  Nothing that a good body man can't fix, just a disappointment that we pay so much for these parts and don't get better quality.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 09, 2018, 07:52:20 PM
Myself I usually prefer fixing originals unless they are totally wasted & to far gone. Last time I restored a Mopar I had one original Fender & one After market Fender. The Owner insisted I use these 2 Fenders & wouldn't listen to me. Once he bolted on the 2 Fenders the original fit perfect & he was extremely pissed off on how poor the aftermarket fit. Fit Terrible.  :brickwall:

Damn, I have 2 oem fenders for my 68 which I will do surgery on and they will look good but I was hopping the AMD  fenders would fit without work. bummer...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

Fix your originals.  The time put in will be worth it.
Mopar forever!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 09, 2018, 09:47:24 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 09, 2018, 07:52:20 PM

Damn, I have 2 oem fenders for my 68 which I will do surgery on and they will look good but I was hopping the AMD  fenders would fit without work. bummer...

Ive used 3 sets of these and i found them to be really good. yes they needed some treaking but better than old rusty crap imo. i do feel that they are better off used in pairs though just so things stay consistant from side to side.

Dont get me wrong if it is a low numbers super valuable car id rather have nos or super nice used , but that gets harder by the day.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

The driver-side repro fenders are easy to pick out.  They aren't dented/repaired in that spot above the bumper corner with no access to the back side of it.  Originals always have that damage.  

At the factory there was a guy who walked down the row and whacked each fender one time in that spot with a 10-lb hand sledge.  

He was the same guy who whacked the dent onto all the '69 grille trim center pieces too.  He would use a small nail-type hammer on the grille to avoid cracking the plastic.

AKcharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 16, 2018, 11:49:22 PM

....At the factory there was a guy who walked down the row and whacked each fender one time in that spot with a 10-lb hand sledge.  

He was the same guy who whacked the dent onto all the '69 grille trim center pieces too.  He would use a small nail-type hammer on the grille to avoid cracking the plastic.

Huh???  :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question:

69RT/Chrgr

Thanks for all the input, I ground out all the filler in my LF fender and it's worse than I imagined, besides being crumpled in the front, the body shop must have cut it to try to unpeel and pull it, and then laid 1/2" plus thick body filler from 10" back forward, and than sculpted a new front top and side edge. Where it was sliced, and where they drilled the 100 holes to try to pull it is the ugliest work I've seen. I am gonna keep poking to try to find a single RF, and if not will give the AMD one a try.

Thanks all

Duane

charge70

Duane,there is a guy on MoParts selling a set of front fenders.His contact # is 734-626-3485,says to call or text.They are listed in the 70-back B-body parts for sale.Hope this helps.

69RT/Chrgr

Quote from: charge70 on December 15, 2018, 07:15:24 AM
Duane,there is a guy on MoParts selling a set of front fenders.His contact # is 734-626-3485,says to call or text.They are listed in the 70-back B-body parts for sale.Hope this helps.

Thanks for looking out for them, I ended up buying and AMD, I quickly hung it on, and so far I'm extremely happy with the fit, gonna try to finish up lining it up this weekend.

Duane