News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power window wiring

Started by Dino, November 10, 2018, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Both of these are live wires, the slip on connector I believe used to go to the relay behind the instrument cluster, but where did the black wire with the ring terminal go?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

did you say the black wire is hot? im 98% sure that wire is the ground on my 68.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Yeah that's what I thought until it blew the fuse. I put power to the slip on connector and the ring terminal got hot. This is the loom from a C body. Now I wish I took more pics of it before installing it.

Charger-Bodie

something must be back feeding?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Dino

Yeah must be, that black wire is coming from the master switch so it should be ground. Time to dig a little deeper.

Dino

I traced the wire back to the master switch and it's getting 12v to that pin. Did I wire the switch wrong? Anyone have a pic of how their master switch is wired?

ODZKing

Dino, wiring schematics should be in you 69 service manual.
My 73 looks like this, shouldn't be too much different except mine only has 2 windows.

Dino

The wiring going to the switch matches the diagram, but the only pin on the switch that is not getting power is on the violet wire. I'm wondering if I have a later model master switch and I need to wire it differently.

Dino

I take that back, I had two wires swapped causing the ground to become hot. All is well now, carry on, nothing to see here...

Dino

So looking at the front of the master switch, the buttons operate from left to right: driver front, passenger front, driver rear, passenger rear. Kinda odd but I'll leave it alone if that's how they came. Does this sound right?

Charger-Bodie

Front button = left front....next going rearward is pass front.....then drivers rear... then pass rear

Dino

That's flipped from what I have but makes more sense so I'm wiring it your way.

ODZKing

Again, I only have 2 windows but closest to driver is driver window, next passenger. There is a plug on the back of my switches and that is they are wired from the factory.
Every car I have ever had that is the way it is. But no one is to say you can't do it any way you want.   :2thumbs:

Dino

Yeah that's how mine run. I may change it. Got another problem. Driver side rear switch is not working properly. Tried 2 different switches with same result. From the master switch all windows roll up and down, but the rear switch doesn't do anything. If I wire it differently I can either have the glass go up or down, but not both. I'm going to have to check these wires.

A383Wing

Quote from: Dino on November 11, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
Yeah that's how mine run. I may change it. Got another problem. Driver side rear switch is not working properly. Tried 2 different switches with same result. From the master switch all windows roll up and down, but the rear switch doesn't do anything. If I wire it differently I can either have the glass go up or down, but not both. I'm going to have to check these wires.

If you tried 2 different switches, the problem is not the rear switch.....it's the master switch toggle for the drivers rear.....the power to the motors runs through both the single switches and the master switch at the same time....one has to be in "neutral" position while the other switch is in "up or down"......they did this so you can't operate 2 switches at the same time and cause a short

VegasCharger

Quote from: Dino on November 10, 2018, 08:46:47 PM
So looking at the front of the master switch, the buttons operate from left to right: driver front, passenger front, driver rear, passenger rear. Kinda odd but I'll leave it alone if that's how they came. Does this sound right?

Yep that's how my '68 Charger with PW is laid out (see pic below).

:2thumbs:

rollo1504

Quote from: ODZKing on November 10, 2018, 12:19:01 PM
Dino, wiring schematics should be in you 69 service manual.
My 73 looks like this, shouldn't be too much different except mine only has 2 windows.

Hey,

I just wanted to inform you (after you are using "my" drawings)   ;D ;D ;D  that this drawing IS NOT CORRECT!

That has been made by myself during finding out why my power windows were not working..... BUT

please find enclosed the NEW drawing which is finally working great in my 73 Charger....

Hope this helps someone here.....

rollo1504

Refering to this picture which I found in another thread... the black wire is GROUND and the other one (TAN) is the hot wire....

I suppose that the black wire (GROUND) and the tan wire (HOT) are reverse round connected at the main switch.... interchange them....

Best way would be to use a voltmeter and measure them as well as beep them against chassis to find out which one is the ground wire....

And have a look at the enclosed wiring diagram... just follow the white rabbit :-)

Dino

I got the windows to work a while back. I ended up buying a brand new master switch because the old switch was too worn, but it didn't fix the problem. Short circuit below the carpet was the culprit. I double checked all the wiring, fixed the one little nick and everything is working as it should. One touch operation and remote operation.   :2thumbs:

rollo1504