News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installing cat whiskers

Started by Moeggenpar, November 10, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moeggenpar

Is there any way to install these without removing the side glass? Maybe a way to lower the glass farther to gain access? Thanks for any info

green69rt

Quote from: Moeggenpar on November 10, 2018, 02:19:24 PM
Is there any way to install these without removing the side glass? Maybe a way to lower the glass farther to gain access? Thanks for any info

You might be able to get to them if you take the down stop off the window so it will go down more.  Even then I think you need to take the inner upper door pad off to get good access.   You're going to have to take the upper door pad off anyway to attach the inner whisker.  I wouldn't fool with any of the other adjusting bolts unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time getting the window aligned again.

69bfan

No need to remove the glass.  Remove the arm rest pads and bezels and window crank handles.  Next remove the door panels.  This will mean that you will have to remove the back seat to remove the rear door panels.  Next roll the door glass back up fully.  Then remove the water barriers so that you can reach your arm up inside the cavity of the door and quarter panel.  Using a flat blade like a screwdriver, feel up inside the area where the felts are attached.  Using your flat blade, spread the middle finger of the attaching clips apart so that there is no tension on them which holds the felts in place.  Once you have spread all of the fingers apart from the body panel, rock the felt up and toward the glass.  It may be easier if you have someone lifting up gently on the felts as you pry on the finger clips.  At this point, you can lift it out completely with no issues.

To install, just reverse the process.  Place the correct felt in place.  The clips will align with the slots in the panel.  Push down evenly on the felts as the clips will begin to pull the felt tight to the body.

For the inner felts, you will have to remove the upper door pads.  The inner felts were attached with metal staples to the pads.  Simply bend the staples back and pry the felt away from the pad.  Be careful not to tear the vinyl on the pads.  To reattach the felts,  you can use the staples that are provided in the bag if you purchased the Top Catwhiskers.  If you use the staples, you will need to position the felts in the proper position.  Next mark the indentions on the felt where the original felts were stapled to the pad.  Once all of the intentions are marked, use a small drill bit or sharp awl to make small holes for the staples.  Once all of the holes are drilled or punched, position back onto the pad and then you can push the staples in place.  Once all are in place, pull the staples tight and bend over.

The staples are the correct method of attaching the inners, but many owners will use small sheet metal screws or pop rivets to hold them into place.   If your inners are still in good condition, you may want to only purchase the outers.  If any other concerns, just drop me a message.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

green69rt

Quote from: 69bfan on November 10, 2018, 08:05:40 PM
No need to remove the glass.  Remove the arm rest pads and bezels and window crank handles.  Next remove the door panels.  This will mean that you will have to remove the back seat to remove the rear door panels.  Next roll the door glass back up fully.  Then remove the water barriers so that you can reach your arm up inside the cavity of the door and quarter panel.  Using a flat blade like a screwdriver, feel up inside the area where the felts are attached.  Using your flat blade, spread the middle finger of the attaching clips apart so that there is no tension on them which holds the felts in place.  Once you have spread all of the fingers apart from the body panel, rock the felt up and toward the glass.  It may be easier if you have someone lifting up gently on the felts as you pry on the finger clips.  At this point, you can lift it out completely with no issues.

To install, just reverse the process.  Place the correct felt in place.  The clips will align with the slots in the panel.  Push down evenly on the felts as the clips will begin to pull the felt tight to the body.

For the inner felts, you will have to remove the upper door pads.  The inner felts were attached with metal staples to the pads.  Simply bend the staples back and pry the felt away from the pad.  Be careful not to tear the vinyl on the pads.  To reattach the felts,  you can use the staples that are provided in the bag if you purchased the Top Catwhiskers.  If you use the staples, you will need to position the felts in the proper position.  Next mark the indentions on the felt where the original felts were stapled to the pad.  Once all of the intentions are marked, use a small drill bit or sharp awl to make small holes for the staples.  Once all of the holes are drilled or punched, position back onto the pad and then you can push the staples in place.  Once all are in place, pull the staples tight and bend over.

The staples are the correct method of attaching the inners, but many owners will use small sheet metal screws or pop rivets to hold them into place.   If your inners are still in good condition, you may want to only purchase the outers.  If any other concerns, just drop me a message.

Nice description.  Question:  you can remove the outer felt with the window fully UP?  I haven't tried but I just looked at mine and, if the window is fully down you could, almost just reach in and pull the outer felt up like you described.  The inner one is like you said.  In any case, I agree, no need to remove the glass.

Little hijack.  Staples come with the Top Cat felts?  I must have thrown my away with the packing.  Anyway to get more?

69bfan

The fingers of the felts as used on the 68 to 70 B-Body applications will grab very strongly to the slotted holes of the quarter panel and door.  I am afraid that trying to remove them from the top side is going to lead to possibly small dents and chipped paint.  Going in from the bottom is not very difficult other than having to remove the back seat.  The 66-67 B-Body application uses a different style of clip which would possibly be sprung from the top side, but I would still rather go from the bottom side.

Mitch, how many of the staples do you need?  We have been putting them in the bags of the Top Catwhiskers for close to four years.  Possibly we failed to put them in with your felts.  They are in a small sleeve of poly tubing that is sealed at each end.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

green69rt

Quote from: 69bfan on November 10, 2018, 09:36:22 PM
The fingers of the felts as used on the 68 to 70 B-Body applications will grab very strongly to the slotted holes of the quarter panel and door.  I am afraid that trying to remove them from the top side is going to lead to possibly small dents and chipped paint.  Going in from the bottom is not very difficult other than having to remove the back seat.  The 66-67 B-Body application uses a different style of clip which would possibly be sprung from the top side, but I would still rather go from the bottom side.

Mitch, how many of the staples do you need?  We have been putting them in the bags of the Top Catwhiskers for close to four years.  Possibly we failed to put them in with your felts.  They are in a small sleeve of poly tubing that is sealed at each end.

You may be right about taking them out.  They had already been removed on my car when I got it.   I just remember putting mine in from the top.  As for the staples, I need whatever it takes to attach them, I have none.  I probably didn't notice them in the end of the package and just threw the staples out with the packaging.   I''ll send  a PM.

Moeggenpar

green69rt

Quote from: Moeggenpar on November 11, 2018, 11:22:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies! :2thumbs:

A lot of folks on here want to help.  You just have to ask.