News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recommendations for carburetor for my 440

Started by 68moparbob, November 11, 2018, 08:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68moparbob

I am looking at replacing the stock carburetor (Carter 4428) on my 68 Charger,  440 manual transmission.  I would like to go with something as close to stock as possible, that I would not have to modify the fuel line and linkage and keep the stock air cleaner.  The engine is bone stock and the car is street driven only. Would love to keep the original choke setup. Any ideas from those that have done this?

c00nhunterjoe

If you have it bone stock, and want to keep it stock, then why are you looking to change the carb? Is there a problem with it that cant be repaired?

chargerbr549

This 1812 AVS series carb is as close to stock as you can get without going back to an original carb.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1812?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-edelbrock&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0KbHtNzM3gIVgchkCh2svQ61EAQYASABEgJCevD_BwE

Or a guy on Moparts has a new one for sale for only $300

MikeyT Offline

Loc: Watertown, WI   
Hi All,

I am selling my never used 800 Edelbrock AVS Thunderseries carburetor. This is the 1812 model without a choke and retails for $440 dollars at Jegs. I am selling mine for $300 plus shipping from 53094.

The 800 is a fun carb especially for a hot 383 or moderately built 440. I find them fun and easy to tune with a kit. Please Private message me here.

Thank you Moparts for the add.
Mike

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 11, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
If you have it bone stock, and want to keep it stock, then why are you looking to change the carb? Is there a problem with it that cant be repaired?

BUMP ?

The factory AVS on my '69 R/T is one of the best running Carbs I've ever experienced ? and the old Charger's performance with it is very good even by today's standards.

Must be something wrong with the OP's that can't be repaired ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

68moparbob

I purchased this correct numbers carb from Ebay. I took it all the way down and rebuilt it to include new shaft bushings and I had all the linkage and small pieces replayed. During the assembly process yesterday I noticed a hairline crack near one of the shaft bores.. I was trying to decide what to do about it because I really want to use this carb. Right now I am just getting some ideas of carb options. Has anyone had experience in repairing cracks in carb bases (besides JB Weld)

hemi-hampton

You could try the Edelbrock Performance carb. That's what I used that was similar to the stock carb. LEON.

74Rallye

I have a warmed over 440 and started with a new Edelbrock 750. It seemed fine on the dyno but had a dead spot off idle. I went with an Edelbrock 800 after doing everything possible to eliminate the dead spot. It was just as bad as the 750. The Edelbrock did everything perfectly, except for the off idle dead spot. After I switched the automatic trans to a 4sp. the Edelbrock was unusable with it's dead spot. I went with another brand carb and it's a night/day difference. 

JT01

Quote from: 74Rallye on November 13, 2018, 12:37:39 PM
I have a warmed over 440 and started with a new Edelbrock 750. It seemed fine on the dyno but had a dead spot off idle. I went with an Edelbrock 800 after doing everything possible to eliminate the dead spot. It was just as bad as the 750. The Edelbrock did everything perfectly, except for the off idle dead spot. After I switched the automatic trans to a 4sp. the Edelbrock was unusable with it's dead spot. I went with another brand carb and it's a night/day difference. 
what did you go with

white

I have had the same problem with my Edelbrock on my 440, its a lot better since I adjusted the idle mixing screws and excellator pump rod but it's still there just not as bad.

74Rallye

I went with a Demon 750. Driveability is excellent, but it was a little lean under WOT out of the box.

c00nhunterjoe

There is more to the carter/eddy carbs then just turning the mixture screws and moving the pump lever hole. They are no different then a holley, just a metered fuel leak.

white

74Rallye

What really pissed me off was how well my engine responded to the Demon compared to the Edelbrocks. I have Edelbrock carbs on other engines and they are perfect, but not on my 440.

white

I might look into another carb if I have any issues. At least now I can peel out from a dead stop!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 74Rallye on November 14, 2018, 02:30:17 PM
What really pissed me off was how well my engine responded to the Demon compared to the Edelbrocks. I have Edelbrock carbs on other engines and they are perfect, but not on my 440.

Way too many variables here. If the eddy is junk, i will take it off your hands.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: white on November 14, 2018, 04:56:56 PM
I might look into another carb if I have any issues. At least now I can peel out from a dead stop!

I prefer to hang the wheels from a stop. But i catch your drift.  :cheers:

74Rallye

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 14, 2018, 05:55:59 PM
Quote from: 74Rallye on November 14, 2018, 02:30:17 PM

Way too many variables here. If the eddy is junk, i will take it off your hands.

$300 and it's yours.

I would love to figure out how to make an Edelbrock work with a low vacuum (big cam) 440.  They are great carbs, but there's something going on that jets, needles, and springs doesn't change or effect in regard to the off idle dead spot. If anyone has figured it out, please share.

c00nhunterjoe

If its junk, then i wouldnt want to spend 300 dollars on it.

74Rallye

c00nhunterjoe

:shruggy: dont see the problem with the carter platform. .750 lift, 290 @.050. Not going to get too much bigger.

https://youtu.be/_h29RofGHVY

alfaitalia

Cool sound.....loving the speedo! Quite a lot of steering going on for a straight piece of road too!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

Speedo isnt hooked up, scattershield and exhaust are in the way. The road is very winding. Car has 32x13.5w's out back and skinnies up front. It will go perfectly straight for miles if you let it. Lol.

white

I changed out the metering rod springs to the 3" blue springs on my 750 edelbrock. Now my idle is much better with more control on my 440.