News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 426 hood clearance issue. Motor mounts?

Started by INTMD8, November 11, 2018, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Hello,

I bought this car as an unfinished project. Just got around to installing the hood latch today which brought me to realize there is about zero hood clearance to the carb.

It had a 1/2" spacer which I removed but still, the choke horn is just about touching the hood pad when closed.

I was planning to switch to dual 4's and a chrome dome, not sure if that would change anything for the better (or worse).

It looks like there's plenty of clearance for the engine to drop down lower but not sure if there's anything that can be done as far as motor mounts without fabricating something.

(which is not a problem but would be happy to find a bolt in solution)

Thanks!

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Charger-Bodie

Those Schumacher mounts are known to put the engine too high.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

INTMD8

Do you have a suggestion on which mounts would drop it the most? Thank you.

XH29N0G

See what the other mounts do.  Another way to gain a little is to shim the K-Frame.  If you go this route, there are a few on here who I believe will be able to guide more about +/- on this and some are in the thread with the link below.  If you decide to try it you might want to send a few PM's.   

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=122669.0;all

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

If you run a factory dual 4, it will clear without modifying. If the choke is touching the hood currently then shimming the k frame would require over an inch of shims. I do not reccomend that much gap.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 12, 2018, 07:14:53 AM
If you run a factory dual 4, it will clear without modifying. If the choke is touching the hood currently then shimming the k frame would require over an inch of shims. I do not reccomend that much gap.

Looks like a crate Hemi manifold. They clear with factory style mounts.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 11, 2018, 07:48:26 PM
Do you have a suggestion on which mounts would drop it the most? Thank you.

The only way to do this is to get a proper factory style Hemi k member and mounts.

INTMD8

Sounds like it's time to cut and weld.

Thanks guys, I'll post some photos when I'm done.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 12, 2018, 09:16:30 AM

Why not just buy the proper parts?

INTMD8

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 12, 2018, 11:03:13 AM

Seems I could buy a hemi k-member for $1000 or cut and weld for free to achieve the same result, no?

INTMD8

For anyone interested, I just cut the tabs off of the brackets that bolt to the block, moved up .700, filled in the missing metal and tig welded.

Any lower and the exhaust would be on the torsion bars so I think this is about all I can get unless I space down the k-member.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 12, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 12, 2018, 11:03:13 AM

Seems I could buy a hemi k-member for $1000 or cut and weld for free to achieve the same result, no?

In my opinion no. Because I like them to be mounted the way Chrysler engineered it.

INTMD8

If this was a j code car it would have factory parts. Don't see the benefit for the cost and trouble for a non numbers matching car with a tko600 and other deviations from stock. IMO

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 15, 2018, 06:43:14 PM
If this was a j code car it would have factory parts. Don't see the benefit for the cost and trouble for a non numbers matching car with a tko600 and other deviations from stock. IMO

Your car.

INTMD8

With the TKO600, stock mounts may not even put the height where it needs to be. 

Unless you're suggesting I try to pull it apart and rebuilt it to an exact factory clone with a 4 speed and stock accessories/etc/etc/etc

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 15, 2018, 07:36:41 PM
With the TKO600, stock mounts may not even put the height where it needs to be. 

Unless you're suggesting I try to pull it apart and rebuilt it to an exact factory clone with a 4 speed and stock accessories/etc/etc/etc

It's fine . Like I said your car. Different strokes for different folks.