News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield Gasket

Started by Dano 1, November 16, 2018, 08:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I'm looking for some info on how the windshield gasket is designed to work on a 69. Short story is my windshield leaks and I can see where water has accumulated at the lower corners of the dash from the surface rust starting. Doing some digging and looking over this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html it looks like there's supposed to a "lock strip" that runs inside the gasket and applies pressure to help the seal. I don't see any evidence of sealer of any kind or a lock strip inside the gasket. Could my leak be as simple as adding the lock strip and/or pumping in some urethane to improve the seal or is the right answer to pull the windshield and have the whole system redone?

I would probably pull the glass myself by cutting the gasket, seems simple enough with some care but the install I would leave to a professional. Has anyone had a windshield installed recently and if so how much is typical to pay?
Thanks!

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

doctor4766

The locking strip is an integrated part of the rubber, unlike many other types of cars where there is a separate length of rubber that is inserted into the windshield gasket.
It folds over and into itself if you get my drift.
You can see it in the first pic you posted, right at the bottom. It lifts up and tucks into itself.
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Looks like you have more than 1 issue there though.
That rust I can see won't be helping.
Also, quite often your original rubber may still be serviceable. Clean it up (once out of the car) and if it's still quite supple and not torn you may be able to reuse it. Not unusual for Chrysler rubbers.
The rubber should be sealed with BUTYL MASTIC, not urethane, between the body and rubber, and the glass and rubber before you hook the locking strip in to get a good seal.
Gotta love a '69

birdsandbees

Check my Bee restoration thread. I think I covered windshield install pretty good, pages 25/26/27.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121731.600.html
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

69RT/Chrgr

I had the same rust on my 69, when I removed the windshield, I found the channel rusted and the water was running down to the spot. I believe you may be in for the same thing.

Good luck

Duane

Dano 1

Thanks for the info guys!

Quote from: doctor4766 on November 16, 2018, 06:25:49 PM
The locking strip is an integrated part of the rubber, unlike many other types of cars where there is a separate length of rubber that is inserted into the windshield gasket.
It folds over and into itself if you get my drift.
You can see it in the first pic you posted, right at the bottom. It lifts up and tucks into itself.

That makes total sense, and explains why I couldn't find anyone selling a "Lock strip" for our cars.

birdsandbees - your thread is fantastic overall but the windshield portion will be especially helpful, I think you covered every question I could think of.

Quote from: 69RT/Chrgr on November 19, 2018, 06:00:25 PM
I had the same rust on my 69, when I removed the windshield, I found the channel rusted and the water was running down to the spot. I believe you may be in for the same thing.

I think you're absolutely right Duane, fingers crossed the cancer isn't too extensive.

Thanks again guys very helpful!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com