News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

intake gasket replacement questions

Started by nrt69, November 19, 2018, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

Im running a edelbrock intake on a 360 and the heat crossover at the head blew the gasket out so i replaced the gaskets to get rid of the loud exhaust leak.
heres my questions:

the car now pops and backfires a lot on initial start and while warming up. once warmed up, it runs ok. why?

the edelbrock intake didn't have a functional heat crossover in it so i don't think that the issue.

I think the elec choke is working when i start the car as it will idle 1500 ish, but then after 10 seconds or so it drops off and wants to stall.

i marked the distributor and rotor and put it in the same way so I'm guessing that's not the issue. (MSD eCurve distro)

Would a gasket leak be a cause? when i put silicone at the front/rear of the engine, it didn't look like the intake compressed the silicone at all.
i put a thicker bead on than what i saw when i took it off.

cdr

check the firing order of the plug wires
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

nrt69

i don't think its the plug wires since i marked the cap and took pictures of the routing.

AKcharger

Quote from: nrt69 on November 19, 2018, 03:32:30 PM
i don't think its the plug wires since i marked the cap and took pictures of the routing.

Lol, famous last words!  ;) those plugs wires have given me grief more times than I can count, I wouldn't rule them out until your rechecked them at least 8 times

nrt69

i rechecked the wires. the only 2 that i could've got messed up i switched and it definitely wasn't correct.

I doubt i turned the distributor any but before i check that i wonder if it could be an air leak at the carb or the top of the intake?

one rubber nipple blocking a port on the carb is old and cracked. the other one behind the carb running a hose to the valve cover is also old/cracked. haven't had a chance to replace those yet tho...

nrt69

Replaced the caps on the carb and intake that didn't do anything.
Tried rotating the distro to bring rpms down some (800-900) and the car didn't backfire through the carb but it popped out the tailpipe and ran like shite.

68CoronetRT

Sounds like its time to verify the timing and set it properly.

nrt69

it was the timing.
I'm surprised how off it was after setting the distro back in place...