News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What size headers for a 440?

Started by metallicareload99, November 20, 2018, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2018, 07:38:26 AM
Quote from: metallicareload99 on November 23, 2018, 11:59:57 PM

I would love for this engine to do what your 446 did.  What RPM did you shift @?  I've been using the Street Dominator, but I now have a brand new Edelbrock Performer RPM now, do you think the Performer RPM would be better choice for me?

I would use the Street Dominator.....and install a 1in 4 hole spacer. The SD will make more power high up in the rpm range and the 4 hole will spike up the throttle response. It's a win-win  :2thumbs:

I shifted mine @ 6200 and trapped at 5600-5700....that is with 4.10's and 30in tall drag radials. For yours I would use a shorter 28in tall slick/Drag radial.  :yesnod:

I'm sure that your combo will make more power than mine did ; better heads and a solid roller cam with more area under the curve. With the TF 240's and a .600 lift solid roller it will be easily 30-40hp better  ;)

Ron

Thanks Ron, I think your engine is thee blueprint to follow for 440's.  But it's not in the proven engine combos?  Has that engine been on the road in anything lately?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

c00nhunterjoe

I cant speak exactly for what ron has in that particular build, but i would bet you it had a near or zero deck piston in it, cleaned up eddys, mild solid flat tappet, and mild single plane intake. Its not rocket science, but i would say better then 80% of the people just dont absorb how easy it can be to make or lose hp in a big block mopar.

metallicareload99

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 03, 2018, 07:26:28 PM
I cant speak exactly for what ron has in that particular build, but i would bet you it had a near or zero deck piston in it, cleaned up eddys, mild solid flat tappet, and mild single plane intake. Its not rocket science, but i would say better then 80% of the people just dont absorb how easy it can be to make or lose hp in a big block mopar.

That sums it up as far as I recall.  True, as has been mentioned, it seems so many 440 builds have been crippled by pistons with compression heights that are too short

firefighter3931

Quote from: metallicareload99 on November 28, 2018, 11:39:20 PM

Thanks Ron, I think your engine is thee blueprint to follow for 440's.  But it's not in the proven engine combos?  Has that engine been on the road in anything lately?

That engine build was archived on the old DC.com website but the data was lost. It was a pretty basic build ; stock crank, stock LY rods, heavy SpeedPro 6-pack pistons. The block was decked and squared up, rotating assembly was balanced. Nothing fancy...just good quality machinework and attention to detail. The heads were stage 1 ported RPM's with just under 300cfm flow. Cam was a Comp solid flat tappet custom grind ; 260@.050/109LSA/.580 lift

That motor made 85 dyno pulls testing 3 sets of headers, 4 different intake manifolds and multiple carburators. It was well broken in by the time it came off the pump  ;) Learned a lot of stuff from those two days of dyno testing.  :icon_smile_cool:

Nowadays there is much better stuff out there ; H-Beam rods (stronger/lighter) and nice off the shelf lightweight pistons. Less weight in the rotating assembly means quicker revving and less stress. The TF240's are quite a bit better than even a mildly ported RPM casting. Today's build would be quite different from what we built 15 years ago and it would make more power as well.

All in all I was pleased with that 440 and it did what it was supposed to do. Getting 4100lbs into the mid 11's on pump gas was, and still is, very respectable for a stock stroke 440.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

metallicareload99

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 06, 2018, 10:47:02 AM

All in all I was pleased with that 440 and it did what it was supposed to do. Getting 4100lbs into the mid 11's on pump gas was, and still is, very respectable for a stock stroke 440.

Ron

:iagree:

For those who have tti, did you buy from a dealer or directly from TTI?

garner7555

If I remember correctly, I bought my TTI headers from Mancini Racing.      :2thumbs:

https://www.manciniracing.com/headers.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

BDF

Quote from: metallicareload99 on December 21, 2018, 11:52:16 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 06, 2018, 10:47:02 AM

Ron

:iagree:

For those who have tti, did you buy from a dealer or directly from TTI?
Give Bill a call at Chicago Connection. Good price, FREE shipping!  :2thumbs:

http://chicagoconnection.us/