News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heads rebuilt to stock specs can I go to a more aggressive cam?

Started by triple_green, November 21, 2018, 08:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

not looking to do this right now, but wondering: I just got the heads rebuilt to stock specs, would I able to go to a more aggressive cam profile with out having to change out things in the heads again. I'm not looking to go to a wild cam, maybe just one step up.

Thanks!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

c00nhunterjoe

In most cases bone stock heads will support up to a .500 lift cam without clearance issues. But most likely if you are sinking the money into a real rebuild of a set of 50 year old iron heads, you will be spending close to the money needed to buy a new set of aluminums. If you decide to definitely spend the money on the steelies, its only pennies more to machine the guides for lift clearance.

metallicareload99

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 22, 2018, 01:53:54 PM
In most cases bone stock heads will support up to a .500 lift cam without clearance issues. But most likely if you are sinking the money into a real rebuild of a set of 50 year old iron heads, you will be spending close to the money needed to buy a new set of aluminums. If you decide to definitely spend the money on the steelies, its only pennies more to machine the guides for lift clearance.

:iagree:

Although it seems the heads have already had the work done to them.  I ran the Lunati 60303 cam (10230703) with .513" of lift on the exhaust valve on AeroHead rebuilt stock heads with no problems.  It was definitely an upgrade over the Engel K-56.

I never bothered to check retainer to guide clearance back then, now I would check before proceeding
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth