News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repair fenders or replace (69 charger)

Started by Ryan, November 25, 2018, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hi everyone,  was wondering what everyone's opinion was on these fenders.  Should I repair them or replace with AMD.  I'm thinking they may be a little beyond my capabilities for repair.

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

70 sublime

How much time and how much money do you have ??

Is that the only thing wrong with them ?
No other rot or dents ?
If that is all that is wrong I think I would try to fix it
Yes there will be body filler in that spot but it is a very small area and if you can get the grill to fit nice I think that would be the main battle

Not like trying to fix a big dent in the middle of quarter panel where you can notice it more if not perfect
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi-hampton

Ryan

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 25, 2018, 01:08:08 PM
How much time and how much money do you have ??

Is that the only thing wrong with them ?
No other rot or dents ?
If that is all that is wrong I think I would try to fix it
Yes there will be body filler in that spot but it is a very small area and if you can get the grill to fit nice I think that would be the main battle

Not like trying to fix a big dent in the middle of quarter panel where you can notice it more if not perfect

That's the worst of the damage.  Very minimal rot to patch on the drivers lower fender near the rocker.

I'm just thinking im going to have alot of time in these to fix them properly, headlight buckets will need to be removed.

2014 viper TA

Alaskan_TA

No need to remove the buckets.

Even 'new' parts would need some tweaking.

Google 'Stud Welder Dent Repair' for instructional videos & places to buy them.

New tools are always cool & I bet you can find a decent one for a lot less than fenders.

Ryan

I'm familiar with the stud pullers , however this for sure requires hammer & Dollie work in addition to the stud puller and I dont think its going to happen without the bucket being removed.  Its really really wavy, probably doesn't show well in the pic.

I guess i just need to get after it and see what I can accomplish.   I cant make them any worse.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

2014 viper TA

69RT/Chrgr

My RF fender looks like yours, just a little worse in the same spot. and I believe I am gonna take the chance and pick up an AMD and see how it fits. If you look a couple posts down from here you will see my thread

Duane

JB400

NHCharger

Man, I wish that was the only problem areas when I restored my 68. I would fix that. If you are in a real time crunch or don't want to deal with fixing buy a new set and sell the old pair. There are always guys out there wanting the factory panels, not aftermarket.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ryan

ha, I wish that was all the issues!

Ive replaced / repaired alot of metal on this car
quarters (AMD)
trunk (AMD)
floorpan (AMD)
roof skin (AMD)
tail panel (NOS)
rear valance (NOS)
doors (used original pieces)
hood (AMD)
the decklid and the fenders are the only original exterior sheet metal left.

2014 viper TA

Mopar Nut

If you do replace them sell off your other ones, you'll have many people wanting them.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

paironines

Fix em as AMDs are darn near $750 each! Ill be facing this dilema soon myself as I have a decent original fender needing some odd work but also bought an AMD cheap already.