News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C component interchange

Started by spoolinhard, November 25, 2018, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

I have a 69 with a big block, factory A/C car. Everything A/C under the hood is gone. What years will interchange?

Bronzedodge

The suction line routing changed drastically between 68 and 69, compressor brackets slightly also.   If you get all 68 stuff, it will work, just look like a 68 setup. 69 to 70 is more similar.  If you need a compressor, just go aftermarket w a rotary compressor, less HP to run.  If you want original look, that's a bit tougher - donor cars are hard to find intact.

https://www.classicautoair.com/mopar_air_conditioning_mopar_ac/
Mopar forever!

Gold Rush

Since your car was original a/c car, Classic Auto Air makes an upgrade kit that replaces everything forward of the firewall.  I found that ordering through Classic Industries got the kit to my front door $80 less than direct from Classic Auto Air (shipping and tax was the difference).  You might even get in on a Holiday discount.     :cheers:

here their link..   https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/all-years/dodge/charger/parts/?q=ac%20upgrade%20kit
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Just 6T9 CHGR

69 suction & discharge hoses are 1 year only for 383-440 and are made of unobtanium.

Rear compressor bracket as well as the "legs" that mount to the intake are different between 383 & 440...  front main bracket is the same

Good luck!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

spoolinhard

ODZKing

I had same situation with my 73. Factory A/C car, nothing under the hood. I ordered the Classic Auto Air setup and frankly would not recommend it.
While it works fine when it works, it freezes up constantly. The whole point of the air was for long trips ... Ha!
I don't know much about A/C but I am told the factory set up has the thermostat included in the system. CAA's is separate and doesn't work, not one of them and I've tried numerous ones. I constantly have to cycle the system of manually if I want it to not freeze.
Solution: I am going back to the original set up as soon as I get the $$ to get the last hose I have located. I do have the original compressor so a simple retrofit will do the trick.
Just my  :Twocents:

Bronzedodge

Not to hijack the thread, but

ODZKing, if you'r experiencing evaporator freeze up, it may be just low charge or a metering device problem.  I'd have the system gone over by an HVAC professional with an automotive backround.  Problems like yours often get into the finer points of a system.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!