News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Copper/Nickle tubing

Started by b5blue, November 06, 2018, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I'm making my 3/8 fuel line out of Copper/Nickle this time. Reading up on it's much more resistant to effects of water corrosion and easier bending swayed me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience to share?   

charger1972

I work in New York state , so we do a lot of brake lines . Copper nickel is all we use . Really easy to work with , does turn a little green eventually . And it cost more , but is worth it , for us anyway .

c00nhunterjoe

For fuel line i would use steel braided on a classic. I use the copper nickel for brake lines all the time. Definatly paint them as they will still corrode but are much eassier to work with then traditional steel.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Stainless is even harder so tough to bend for DYI. (I am using some stainless fittings) Thanks for the reply s.

c00nhunterjoe

The preformed stainless sets are nice. I put one on my truck.

b5blue

I'm so over paying for reproduction $$$ I avoid it like the plague.  :lol: 

XH29N0G

I seem to remember there might be some chemical compatibility issues, but I am not entirely sure and that might have been with certain grades of stainless.  I just looked up one paper on compatibility with ethanol fuels and it looks like copper, mild steel and brass can be corroded faster.  I saw another paper that said something about silver helping, but also that it could dissolve and clog injectors.  Maybe someone who is an engineer would know.  I looked up compatibility of copper nickel and gasoline to start my search.  I am a novice at this but work with tubes for other reasons (high vacuum lines and highly reactive gases).  We often use softer tubing to mock up systems and then once we have that worked out, proceed with tubing that is harder to bend.  I don't think it should be crazy hard to bend standard wall tubing if you have the right bender.  I know it is difficult with >3/8 and stainless.

Please let us know how it works and what you find out.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

The lines in question are not copper. They are safe for automotive use.

71charger_fan

I used it to replumb the brake lines in the '55 Plymouth. After trying it, I'd never go back to steel.