News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodward Garage -Daytona 88, Bill Wright archives. NEW LINK ADDED MORE INFO

Started by odcics2, November 27, 2018, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Bill Wright was the manager of the Woodward Garage, based in Huntsville, Alabama.
He was the man behind a lot of the innovation that took place there in 1969 and 1970.

The #88 Chrysler Engineering Daytona was based there, along with the Chrysler Engineering SuperBird.

This link will take you to the main page of documentation.  YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THE INFO HERE !      :2thumbs:

http://www.billwrightdocumentarchive.com/

Many thanks to Ken Noffsinger and his site, aerowarriors.com, for getting all this published, so aerofolks can enjoy the background history.
Lot's of thanks also to Paul Wright for sharing his dad's archives and allowing it to be published, many decades after the fact.

I think Bill would be proud !!

:cheers:

Greg
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

birdsandbees

Well that'll take some HOURS of reading! Thanks for the link Greg.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

tan top

wow this is  awesome ,  love reading about this kind of stuff ,  I know what I will be doing the weekend now  :yesnod:  :scope:   thanks for sharing the link ! Greg :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969daytona

MoPar or NO car

LilRedDave

Wow, come across any connection or confirmation on the Gurney Superbird is the demise of Curious Blue yet? Great share Greg.

Aero426

Quote from: LilRedDave on November 28, 2018, 08:21:04 PM
Wow, come across any connection or confirmation on the Gurney Superbird is the demise of Curious Blue yet? Great share Greg.

It certainly helped connect some dots in my opinion.  

1.  If you read the monthly 1970 reports, mention is made of the engineering Plymouth being car 097.     The first Superbird built at Nichels was numbered P-97.     Just as Nichels DC-93 became engineering car 093,  it is not a stretch to say that  P-97 became engineering car 097.   As an aside, we know that car #43 was P-98 making it the second Superbird framed at Nichels.   So there is some numerical continuity.    We know Pettys cars likely came a little later as the deal was not signed until late.

2. The Gurney car was likely the only Superbird ready for pre-season testing.    Then there is the photo of the Gurney Bird at Nichels during the time of the Nichels open house in November 1969.    The December 4th, 1969 memo mentions both 093 and  the "first Superbird race car" to be available at Riverside.   I have a photo of the Gurney car running solo at Riverside with absolutely no contingencies.    It was probably not on a race weekend, but I can't say for sure.

3.  The Gurney car went back to Level Cross immediately after Riverside for work.    There are the photos that surfaced on Facebook of the well used car in shop for refurb.

4.  Bill Wright's reports make mention of an "ex-Petty Plymouth" being picked up at the proving grounds and being prepared for testing Talladega in spring.    Further down in the report, he lists car P-97 as being readied for testing at Talladega  in springtime.     The notation "ex-Petty Plymouth" would seem factually incorrect, although the car spent time there and was painted Petty Blue by he spring tests.    

If P-97/097  was the "first Superbird built", seen at Nichels in a November photo,  tested at Riverside in December,  raced at Riverside by Gurney in January, and shows up in numerous tests later in the year,  can anyone present evidence that these are not the same car?  

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on November 29, 2018, 09:48:03 PM
Quote from: LilRedDave on November 28, 2018, 08:21:04 PM

It certainly helped connect some dots in my opinion.  

1.  If you read the monthly 1970 reports, mention is made of the engineering Plymouth being car 097.     The first Superbird built at Nichels was numbered P-97.     Just as Nichels DC-93 became engineering car 093,  it is not a stretch to say that  P-97 became engineering car 097.   As an aside, we know that car #43 was P-98 making it the second Superbird framed at Nichels.   So there is some numerical continuity.    We know Pettys cars likely came a little later as the deal was not signed until late.

2. The Gurney car was likely the only Superbird ready for pre-season testing.    Then there is the photo of the Gurney Bird at Nichels during the time of the Nichels open house in November 1969.    The December 4th, 1969 memo mentions both 093 and  the "first Superbird race car" to be available at Riverside.   I have a photo of the Gurney car running solo at Riverside with absolutely no contingencies.    It was probably not on a race weekend, but I can't say for sure.

3.  The Gurney car went back to Level Cross immediately after Riverside for work.    There are the photos that surfaced on Facebook of the well used car in shop for refurb.

4.  Bill Wright's reports make mention of an "ex-Petty Plymouth" being picked up at the proving grounds and being prepared for testing Talladega in spring.    Further down in the report, he lists car P-97 as being readied for testing at Talladega  in springtime.     The notation "ex-Petty Plymouth" would seem factually incorrect, although the car spent time there and was painted Petty Blue by he spring tests.    

If P-97/097  was the "first Superbird built", seen at Nichels in a November photo,  tested at Riverside in December,  raced at Riverside by Gurney in January, and shows up in numerous tests later in the year,  can anyone present evidence that these are not the same car?  

All you say sounds correct...
:yesnod:

Ghoste

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2018, 12:18:52 PM
Wow!  There is a real wealth in that link.  Thanks.

Indeed there is...

Keep the site in mind for those cold winter days coming up.   Good, factual, reading material.
A lot of "firsts" came out of the Woodward Garage.   :coolgleamA:

Mopar John

Thanks to Bill for keeping his notes and his son Paul for sharing them with us!
A big thanks to all who helped put this together!
A great read for us AERO guys!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on December 27, 2018, 11:10:26 AM
Thanks to Bill for keeping his notes and his son Paul for sharing them with us!
A big thanks to all who helped put this together!
A great read for us AERO guys!
MJ

Indeed, good reading this time of year.

Mopar John

Any one know if Paul Wright will be joining us at the AERO WARRIOR reunion?
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on May 28, 2019, 02:34:45 PM
Any one know if Paul Wright will be joining us at the AERO WARRIOR reunion?
MJ

He's not sure at this time.

odcics2

Heard that more info will be added.
I'll let you all know when.   

odcics2

This link will take you to the NEW information added by Ken Noffsinger -

http://www.billwrightdocumentarchive.com/TableOfContents.htm 

Tired of football?   Learn about racing wing cars, some trams am and drag cars too that the team at the Woodward Garage worked on.

There's a nice photo of Sam Posey driving the Woodward Garage SuperBird around the Huntsville Airport, testing a 727 auto trans for road racing.
Previously to that, DC-93 also ran drag coast down tests there with the prototype wing.  (that story also on aerowarriors.com)

DC-93 was numbered as 88 when it was also tested with a 727 at the Riverside road course with Dan Gurney and Bobby Isaac driving , December 1969.

ae8i

It was a pleasure to place Bill Wright's documents online. As aero car enthusiasts, we're very fortunate that brilliant people like Bill were recruited to do the work, and in Bill's case, that he had the foresight to save these documents. Now, 50 years later, we can get a bit of a sense of what was happening with the race cars when they were very much in their infancy. I have a particular interest in the racing versions of the cars, so that made this opportunity all the more rewarding.

I'd like to thank Greg Kwiatkowski for both trusting me with these very rare documents, as well as allowing me to post them. I also need to acknowledge Greg's great patience in waiting for me to place them online. In addition, thanks to the late Bill Wright for doing all that he did, as well as to his family members who were kind enough to make sure the documents ended up in Greg's hands.

Ken Noffsinger
ae8i

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

bannedbird

Is that a headlight door open on passenger side? or an intake for trans cooling?
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

odcics2

Quote from: bannedbird on December 27, 2019, 05:17:56 PM
Is that a headlight door open on passenger side? or an intake for trans cooling?

Thought you were going to ask if the wheels were the same ones used on #88 for the 200 run.
(answer is yes)

I haven't read all the documentation for the auto trans testing yet. The answer is probably there.

Aero426

Ken Noffsinger dated the photo as 6/24/70.   So that would make the driver Sam Posey behind the wheel.

There were three auto trans tests with the Plymouth in 1970:  June 23 and 24 with Sam Posey, July 13-16 with Roger McCluskey.   And a final test with Posey on October 13-15.   The last test was also to evaluate disk brakes.   The October test was intended to use an updated trans with a dry sump system to ensure a constant supply of trans fluid. 

Aero426

Quote from: bannedbird on December 27, 2019, 05:17:56 PM

The headlight openings were for road course brake cooling.   The trans cooler and engine oil coolers were ducted from the underside of the nose. 

nascarxx29

Quote from: Aero426 on December 28, 2019, 05:01:26 PM
Ken Noffsinger dated the photo as 6/24/70.   So that would make the driver Sam Posey behind the wheel.

There were three auto trans tests with the Plymouth in 1970:  June 23 and 24 with Sam Posey, July 13-16 with Roger McCluskey.   And a final test with Posey on October 13-15.   The last test was also to evaluate disk brakes.   The October test was intended to use an updated trans with a dry sump system to ensure a constant supply of trans fluid. 

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701