DodgeCharger.com Forum
December 11, 2018, 12:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodward Garage - Daytona 88, Bill Wright archives now on line! Must read  (Read 827 times)
odcics2
Old Timer

« on: November 27, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »

Bill Wright was the manager of the Woodward Garage, based in Huntsville, Alabama.
He was the man behind a lot of the innovation that took place there in 1969 and 1970.

The #88 Chrysler Engineering Daytona was based there, along with the Chrysler Engineering SuperBird.

This link will take you to the main page of documentation.  YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THE INFO HERE !      2thumbs

http://www.billwrightdocumentarchive.com/

Many thanks to Ken Noffsinger and his site, aerowarriors.com, for getting all this published, so aerofolks can enjoy the background history.
Lot's of thanks also to Paul Wright for sharing his dad's archives and allowing it to be published, many decades after the fact.

I think Bill would be proud !!

cheers

Greg

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?
JB400
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »

Thanks for posting cheers  I'll have to spend some time going over it

birdsandbees
Old Timer

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »

Well that'll take some HOURS of reading! Thanks for the link Greg.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
tan top
Old Timer

69 R/T SE -A47-Y2-CRX-V1T-V88

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:17 AM »

wow this is  awesome ,  love reading about this kind of stuff ,  I know what I will be doing the weekend now  yesnod  scope   thanks for sharing the link ! Greg cheers
1969daytona

Dodge Fever

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »

Thank You!

1964 Fargo D400
1966 Imperial Crown 4d.ht
1967 Dodge Coronet 2d.ht
1970 Dodge Dart 4dr
1970 Dodge Coronet 2d.ht
1978 Plymouth Volare Kit Car
1978 Dodge Lil Red Express
1979 Plymouth Volaré 2dr
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 c.cab
2005 Dodge SRT-10 Yellow fever
2016 Jeep Wrangler 4d
LilRedDave

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »

Wow, come across any connection or confirmation on the Gurney Superbird is the demise of Curious Blue yet? Great share Greg.
Aero426
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »

Wow, come across any connection or confirmation on the Gurney Superbird is the demise of Curious Blue yet? Great share Greg.

It certainly helped connect some dots in my opinion.  

1.  If you read the monthly 1970 reports, mention is made of the engineering Plymouth being car 097.     The first Superbird built at Nichels was numbered P-97.     Just as Nichels DC-93 became engineering car 093,  it is not a stretch to say that  P-97 became engineering car 097.   As an aside, we know that car #43 was P-98 making it the second Superbird framed at Nichels.   So there is some numerical continuity.    We know Pettys cars likely came a little later as the deal was not signed until late.

2. The Gurney car was likely the only Superbird ready for pre-season testing.    Then there is the photo of the Gurney Bird at Nichels during the time of the Nichels open house in November 1969.    The December 4th, 1969 memo mentions both 093 and  the "first Superbird race car" to be available at Riverside.   I have a photo of the Gurney car running solo at Riverside with absolutely no contingencies.    It was probably not on a race weekend, but I can't say for sure.

3.  The Gurney car went back to Level Cross immediately after Riverside for work.    There are the photos that surfaced on Facebook of the well used car in shop for refurb.

4.  Bill Wright's reports make mention of an "ex-Petty Plymouth" being picked up at the proving grounds and being prepared for testing Talladega in spring.    Further down in the report, he lists car P-97 as being readied for testing at Talladega  in springtime.     The notation "ex-Petty Plymouth" would seem factually incorrect, although the car spent time there and was painted Petty Blue by he spring tests.    

If P-97/097  was the "first Superbird built", seen at Nichels in a November photo,  tested at Riverside in December,  raced at Riverside by Gurney in January, and shows up in numerous tests later in the year,  can anyone present evidence that these are not the same car?  

odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »

It certainly helped connect some dots in my opinion.  

1.  If you read the monthly 1970 reports, mention is made of the engineering Plymouth being car 097.     The first Superbird built at Nichels was numbered P-97.     Just as Nichels DC-93 became engineering car 093,  it is not a stretch to say that  P-97 became engineering car 097.   As an aside, we know that car #43 was P-98 making it the second Superbird framed at Nichels.   So there is some numerical continuity.    We know Pettys cars likely came a little later as the deal was not signed until late.

2. The Gurney car was likely the only Superbird ready for pre-season testing.    Then there is the photo of the Gurney Bird at Nichels during the time of the Nichels open house in November 1969.    The December 4th, 1969 memo mentions both 093 and  the "first Superbird race car" to be available at Riverside.   I have a photo of the Gurney car running solo at Riverside with absolutely no contingencies.    It was probably not on a race weekend, but I can't say for sure.

3.  The Gurney car went back to Level Cross immediately after Riverside for work.    There are the photos that surfaced on Facebook of the well used car in shop for refurb.

4.  Bill Wright's reports make mention of an "ex-Petty Plymouth" being picked up at the proving grounds and being prepared for testing Talladega in spring.    Further down in the report, he lists car P-97 as being readied for testing at Talladega  in springtime.     The notation "ex-Petty Plymouth" would seem factually incorrect, although the car spent time there and was painted Petty Blue by he spring tests.    

If P-97/097  was the "first Superbird built", seen at Nichels in a November photo,  tested at Riverside in December,  raced at Riverside by Gurney in January, and shows up in numerous tests later in the year,  can anyone present evidence that these are not the same car?  

All you say sounds correct...
 yesnod

Ghoste
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »

Wow!  There is a real wealth in that link.  Thanks.

Support the Charger registries at

http://www.1966-67chargerregistry.com/

to submit info to the 69 registry, pm me

http://1970chargerregistry.com/
http://www.71chargerrtregistry.com/
odcics2
Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »

Wow!  There is a real wealth in that link.  Thanks.

Indeed there is...

Keep the site in mind for those cold winter days coming up.   Good, factual, reading material.
A lot of "firsts" came out of the Woodward Garage.   coolgleamA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: