News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A518 Transmission builder

Started by flyinlow, November 27, 2018, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Getting reading for winter project.  Putting an OD transmission in the '70. Almost stock 452 ,headers. rpm intake . Currently a 727 with 3.23 gears. Want  to put the 4.10's it came with back in.

Have the Ultrabell and two three wire A518's with burnt fluid that need gone thru. Want auto operation and lock up converter function.   

Options:

1) order parts and attempt with my son. Great experience if it goes well. Have done 727 kits decades ago. Did the first one twice to get it right.

2) send trans to A and A  Transmissions or Performance Auto

3) builder that you can recommend

cdr

If I was to pay someone it would be CRT, Cope Racing Transmissions, he is running a special on a518 trans he has for sale, John Cope.

& hello :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Cope or a&a if you are sending it to a company.

flyinlow

Change of plans, A518 on back burner. Got a Keisler A41 kit.

c00nhunterjoe

How much power are you making? Im not a big fan of the 4l60 platform in heavy weight/ power apps. Even the supposed "upgraded" models still fall short. The 4l80 is the way to go. Just my 2 cents worth.

flyinlow

Basic stock 440 .060 over ,headers, rpm intake , 770 holley. Maybe 400Hp  :shruggy:  My youngest son's car. He cruises around and does a few burnout every year , whether it needs it or not. Never been to the track. Got it for a good price, will be his Xmas present.   4L60 has a 3.06 first gear. (great idea) That combined with putting the 4.10 pumpkin back in should wake the car up a little. (3.23 now with TF)

I am wondering about a SB Chevy transmission   myself. Its electronic also. We will see.

c00nhunterjoe

That will live. The 60 is not a bad trans, just not good for high performance imo

c00nhunterjoe

John, i know alot of gm based racers. And while i can read an article, you are always one to say dont beleive everything the internet tells you. Big power guys go to the 4l80 platform for reliability.