News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unrestored Bronze 1969 Charger coming up for auction in Jan.

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, December 01, 2018, 01:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 03, 2018, 03:06:49 PM
all of the '69 Chargers with tan interiors C6T & CRT should have the Upper Door Frames (inside of the door weather-strip) painted T3 - "light bronze metallic" regardless of exterior color

yes, it appears to be incorrectly painted on the subject Charger

That's what I thought, "T3" for CRT cars in '69 ?       NOT the T7 that appears showing ? 
and,
Lending further "fuel on the fire" relative to Mecum's descriptive of this Charger as "UNRESTORED", implying.... yet no specific mention of "original" paint anywhere.

GREAT Car  :2thumbs:
just seems vague that Mecum would not mention parts/pieces/portions ? or the entire Car ? have been repainted within the UNRESTORED descriptive ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

bigdsul

Would the questionable restoration then bring less than top dollar at auction?

I mean everyone as of late has a barn find, Gavin Govier, 1 of whatever bullshit lying around that they are trying to sell for above what it's worth. This car seems no different. Even though it will fetch a good amount nonetheless

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

hemi-hampton

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I was driving my T7 Bronze w/ Tan interior Charger today (It's painted orange though, now) and realized the lower doors and uppers were T3. It has two round black plugs, like the eBay R/T  :Twocents:

Challenger340

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 04, 2018, 02:59:11 PM
I was driving my T7 Bronze w/ Tan interior Charger today (It's painted orange though, now) and realized the lower doors and uppers were T3. It has two round black plugs, like the eBay R/T  :Twocents:

Yep, tough to take a picture in the dark using a "white" Led flashlight, but I went and looked because I couldn't remember, and my Black(X9) '69 Charger R/T SE with CRT interior, also has "T3" uppers and lowers with black plugs.

I wonder why the MECUM Car has what appears to be "T3" plugs ?

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 04, 2018, 08:28:25 PM
I wonder why the MECUM Car has what appears to be "T3" plugs ?

Because it's a probably a poor attempt at a restoration by a Chevy shop  :Twocents:

6bblgt

..... I wonder why the MECUM Car has what appears to be "T3" plugs ? .....

because they are painted with the same "dye" as the rest of the dash  :shruggy:

paironines

6bblgt

Quote from: paironines on December 05, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
My unrestored T7 /T3 interior car has the T3 plugs.

what assembly plant, Hamtramck or St. Louis?  SPD?

6bblgt

..... Yep, tough to take a picture in the dark using a "white" Led flashlight, but I went and looked because I couldn't remember, and my Black(X9) '69 Charger R/T SE with CRT interior, also has "T3" uppers and lowers with black plugs. .....

what assembly plant, Hamtramck or St. Louis?  SPD?

anyone else??  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

I wouldn't get too hung up on plugs.  Originals could have goten brittle ver time and cracked to the point that they fell out during a routine cleaning so they were replaced with parts store generics.  Could be bad restoration.  Could be factory.  Assembly line guys were not going to stop the line because the correct color plugs were not in the bin or they were on their way to the can and the black ones were in their hand or whatever.

Challenger340

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 06, 2018, 03:24:14 AM
..... Yep, tough to take a picture in the dark using a "white" Led flashlight, but I went and looked because I couldn't remember, and my Black(X9) '69 Charger R/T SE with CRT interior, also has "T3" uppers and lowers with black plugs. .....

what assembly plant, Hamtramck or St. Louis?  SPD?

anyone else??  :2thumbs:

Mines Hamtramck Plant.

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 06, 2018, 03:22:27 AM
Quote from: paironines on December 05, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
My unrestored T7 /T3 interior car has the T3 plugs.

what assembly plant, Hamtramck or St. Louis?  SPD?

Would like to know if your unrestored T7 exterior W/T3 interior car has "T7" interior door frames W/T3 plugs ?
or,
T3 door frames W/T3 plugs ?
(I think you are indicating CRT interior W/T3 interior door frames and W/T3 plugs ?)

Just curious because MECUM advertise the Car as UNRESTORED, and go further noting the prestigous 2018 AACA Award for "Preservation of Original Features"
just say'in....
maybe the 2 different assembly plants did things differently ?

Challenger340

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2018, 08:52:14 AM
I wouldn't get too hung up on plugs.  Originals could have goten brittle ver time and cracked to the point that they fell out during a routine cleaning so they were replaced with parts store generics.  Could be bad restoration.  Could be factory.  Assembly line guys were not going to stop the line because the correct color plugs were not in the bin or they were on their way to the can and the black ones were in their hand or whatever.

I would agree wholeheartedly, sh*t happens !
That said,
MECUM are specifically advertising this car as UNRESTORED, and further, they are highlighting it won the 2018 AACA award for outstanding "Preservation of Original Features" ?

If that's the case ?
then IMO, when things are present in the Pics of this Car, that pique contrary to things generally accepted(T3 Door Frames on CRT Interiors), just nice to investigate further to see if there is anything to re-educate as an Assembly Plant thing ?

So my questions remain ?
given UNRESTORED, and the winner of the prestigous 2018 AACA award for Preservation of Original Features ?
1.) Why does this "CRT" interior Car, have it's door frames painted the same as the exterior T7 paint color ?  (only UNRESTORED car I've ever seen that way ?)
2.) Why then if T7 was used in a different plant on CRT interior door frames, are there T3 plugs present on the T7 painted door frames in the CRT interior ?  (also a first I've seen on an UNRESTORED car?)  

paironines

Hamtramck and July 69 build so pretty late for a 69 model. Ill have to check the fender tag at a later time. It also has the T3 interior door frames.

Ghoste

Good questions.  Be nice if someone here could get eyes on it at the auction and examine it in more detail to see if it has in fact been "touched up" in any way.

Challenger340

Quote from: paironines on December 06, 2018, 12:47:10 PM
Hamtramck and July 69 build so pretty late for a 69 model. Ill have to check the fender tag at a later time. It also has the T3 interior door frames.

Your unrestored example CRT interior, also with the T3 inner door frames, same as others, is consistent with.... just say'in here..... what's generally "accepted" ?

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2018, 12:47:49 PM
Good questions.  Be nice if someone here could get eyes on it at the auction and examine it in more detail to see if it has in fact been "touched up" in any way.

And that's exactly WHY..... this MECUM Car's advertisement as UNRESTORED, lauding as well the 2018 AACA Award for Preservation of Original Features has become suspect, IMO.

Just my opinion,
But based on what I'm seeing ? I think "things" have been painted/changed on the Mecum example making their descriptive of the car somewhat misleading at best ?

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

The eBay unrestored R/T "cleanest barn find survivor", or whatever it was called, was a Hamtramck Plant car. It has black plugs and the pics show T3 inner door paint.

My orange (originally T7 Bronze) w/ tan interior and has original painted inner door paint in T3, has black plugs :Twocents:

chargerbr549

My 69 RT/SE with CRT/T3 interior built Oct 8 at Hammtrack has black plugs.

Mytur Binsdirti

What this thread is proving beyond the shadow of a doubt is that black plugs matter.

Johnnyu

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 07, 2018, 08:01:45 AM
What this thread is proving beyond the shadow of a doubt is that black plugs matter.
Black Plugs Matter       Good one

69 OUR/TEA

I have a friend that goes to Kissimee every year , gonna ask him to check this one out in person . He is a collector car appraiser/inspector .

tan top

I lost a lot of unrestored charger info pictures & stuff a number of years ago when hard drive blew up , which would of been use full in this black plug tan plug discussion , I only have pictures of three unrestored   69 cars with tan interior now  , & look like they all have  black , for some reason there are no vin numbers or tags with pictures , so will  have to look through my list of 69 charger vins / tags  etc , think i have the fender tags saved for a  Y2 & black chargers  :scratchchin: will post pictures as soon as I can. had a look through the 69 parts manual , cant find any part numbers or reference to the plugs at this time  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: tan top on December 09, 2018, 02:36:20 PM
I lost a lot of unrestored charger info pictures & stuff a number of years ago when hard drive blew up , which would of been use full in this black plug tan plug discussion , I only have pictures of three unrestored   69 cars with tan interior now  , & look like they all have  black , for some reason there are no vin numbers or tags with pictures , so will  have to look through my list of 69 charger vins / tags  etc , think i have the fender tags saved for a  Y2 & black chargers  :scratchchin: will post pictures as soon as I can. had a look through the 69 parts manual , cant find any part numbers or reference to the plugs at this time  :shruggy:

I gave you two more examples. The eBay R/T you posted the pics of in the thread from 5 years ago, plus my own Bronze 383 Charger w/ tan interior - the interior is oringial and unrestored. The outside has been painted orange. Was T7.  :Twocents: