News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD two piece trunk pan question

Started by westcoastdodge, December 01, 2018, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

hey guys,just on with installing the amd 2 piece trunk pan.seems to look a little odd at the back panel the rear folded lip seems a mile off,a little hard to explain but it seems like it has been folded in the wrong place(the right hand one) is the whole panel meant to overlap or can i cut it and butt weld  them together?? :shruggy: cheers guys :cheers:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

70 sublime

Did you try to over lap by placing the other side on top to see if it fits better ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

westcoastdodge

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 01, 2018, 10:24:16 PM
Did you try to over lap by placing the other side on top to see if it fits better ?
tried that and it looks worse :eek2: :cheers:
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

hi guys the rest of the tunk pan is fine,all seems to line up good its that final fold that seems wrong,what would the correct measurement be?? :shruggy:
Gene Kranz

green69rt

The correct dimension is whatever it takes to make that vertical piece lay against the taillight panel.  Before you start cutting and welding, make sure that the fit against the wheel wells is as you want them.  Just about every other seem can be "adjusted" but not against the wheel wells.  Also, how the pan lays against the rear frame rails may take some work.

I had a similar problem and ended up just cutting the lip off both pieces (the vertical fold) about 1/2" back, so each pan was the same length and then getting some sheet metal and cutting and folding one long piece to go across the back.   And, I did end up butt welding everything together (it was my first butt welding job ever, so didn't turn out pretty.)

As for your new pans: this kind of thing turns up all the time with aftermarket panels.  You just have to be prepared to do a little cut-to- fit.

westcoastdodge

Quote from: green69rt on December 02, 2018, 09:13:51 AM
The correct dimension is whatever it takes to make that vertical piece lay against the taillight panel.  Before you start cutting and welding, make sure that the fit against the wheel wells is as you want them.  Just about every other seem can be "adjusted" but not against the wheel wells.  Also, how the pan lays against the rear frame rails may take some work.

I had a similar problem and ended up just cutting the lip off both pieces (the vertical fold) about 1/2" back, so each pan was the same length and then getting some sheet metal and cutting and folding one long piece to go across the back.   And, I did end up butt welding everything together (it was my first butt welding job ever, so didn't turn out pretty.)

As for your new pans: this kind of thing turns up all the time with aftermarket panels.  You just have to be prepared to do a little cut-to- fit.
yep will do that it is spot on everywhere else just that back part,was wondering if it was the longer or shorter one as rear panel not installed yet🍻👍😎
Gene Kranz

green69rt

Quote from: westcoastdodge on December 02, 2018, 01:51:03 PM

I had a similar problem and ended up just cutting the lip off both pieces (the vertical fold) about 1/2" back, so each pan was the same length and then getting some sheet metal and cutting and folding one long piece to go across the back.   And, I did end up butt welding everything together (it was my first butt welding job ever, so didn't turn out pretty.)

yep will do that it is spot on everywhere else just that back part,was wondering if it was the longer or shorter one as rear panel not installed yet🍻👍😎

If you already have the tail panel, just screw it in place with some small metal screws and then fit the pans.

Edit, just looked and the pan actually connects to the rear valance, not the tail light panel.  That might make it harder.  Another solution may be to cut the ends off both pans so they are equal length, install them, and after the rear valance is in, then make a little L shaped piece of sheet metal to go across both pans.  But weld to the floor and plug weld to the valance.  I'm sure you can figure it out.

westcoastdodge

Quote from: green69rt on December 02, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
Quote from: westcoastdodge on December 02, 2018, 01:51:03 PM

I had a similar problem and ended up just cutting the lip off both pieces (the vertical fold) about 1/2" back, so each pan was the same length and then getting some sheet metal and cutting and folding one long piece to go across the back.   And, I did end up butt welding everything together (it was my first butt welding job ever, so didn't turn out pretty.)

cheers green69rt thats what ill do,got plenty to do as of yet anyways,wont get my full 1/4s and roof skin till feb so cannot really install the rear panel yet as i need to line them up properly and fit those little corner pieces and get everything nice,got to love after market :2thumbs: :cheers: :scratchchin:

If you already have the tail panel, just screw it in place with some small metal screws and then fit the pans.

Edit, just looked and the pan actually connects to the rear valance, not the tail light panel.  That might make it harder.  Another solution may be to cut the ends off both pans so they are equal length, install them, and after the rear valance is in, then make a little L shaped piece of sheet metal to go across both pans.  But weld to the floor and plug weld to the valance.  I'm sure you can figure it out.
Gene Kranz

green69rt

Concerning those valance corners, you've probably heard that the repros don't fit well.  I read a thread on here that had a way to get them to fit.  I seem to remember that most people try to match the corner up to the valance first and then get it to mate with the quarter and end up doing a slice and splice.  The thread I read said to fit the corner to the quarter first and also to the rear cross brace.  Then fit to the valance.  I'd be interested to know if you can make yours work better using that method.  :shruggy:

slantscamp

The drivers side pan is bent wrong at the back. Mine was the same way. It would fit great everywhere but had a 1/4 gap between the tail panel and the floor panel. I flattened out the bend and re-bent it to match the passenger side panel. Hope that helps.