News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ramps for Charger Project:

Started by Captain D, December 02, 2018, 12:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello gents,

As some of you may know, my 69' Charger is a GL replica. And, I've noticed some pretty cool indoor / high-end car shows where folks not only polish the heck out of their paint jobs, but also bring along props, themed collectibles, and misc. display pieces that goes with their rides. While I've done similar stuff with my car, I've always wanted to put my car on a ramp to make it took like it was actually about to jump (and maybe include some 'bridge out' signs in front of the ramp, lol). With that being said, I've been looking at different ramps for the front-end of my Charger. Below are some variations / options on ramps to get any and all feedback on if I may please. If someone here has done something else and/or different altogether, I'm certainly interested. Please keep in mind that I'm only looking to use this display set-up whenever I attend an indoor car show where the ground is completely level and on on solid concrete:

Economy Option (16k lbs.):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rhino-Ramp-MAX/54732684?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227054818319&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=155623000992&wl4=pla-330687509717&wl5=9006746&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54732684&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp8rDlrSA3wIVD49pCh13bQh8EAQYAiABEgJoCfD_BwE

The 'I've got money to burn' option, lol:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hydraulic-Vehicle-Ramps-10-000lb-capacity-Portable-Car-Repair/3018015931?iid=192509658171&chn=ps

Thank you for checking out my thread and sharing any and all info... ;)

Mopar Nut

I like the ones you found on eBay and probably would have bought them. The foam or plastic ones at Walmart that you posted the link to, I've found at other places, they don't look reliable. I made my own wood cribbing ones without the ramp, but you need a jack to lift the Charger up on them.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

alfaitalia

I think that if you want to get that jumping look the first set are not going to be high enough to get a good enough angle to look right. They  would need to be higher imo.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Captain D

Thanks guys for chiming in,

The Walmart brand is also found at Tractor Supply, the local auto retail shops, etc. too. They're raited for up to 16k lbs. (of course, I wouldn't max something to it's limit).

The only reason why I was kinda sorta leaning towards them is not necessarily due to the better price, but if - worse case scenario - the hydrolic mechanism should somehow fail on the option #2 jacks, I'm SOL with either raising / lowering the car. On the other hand, the Rhino Ramps are simply solid blocks, which has nothing to potentially fail when using.

I too thought about the height. I suppose I wasn't aiming for anything overly high - just enough to give the impression. One cool thing that my car has going for it is the settings of the front height. A lot of folks who see my car in person frequently comment on the front end. For some reason, the previous owner gave the front additional height, which gives it a 'meaty' / aggressive look. So, between that & some ramps the front height may add to that impression overall.

Anyhow, any pros / cons on the Rhino Ramps that anyone has experienced, by chance? Thank you again for your time!

XH29N0G

Creative and fun idea.  Please post some pictures when you set it up.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mike DC

QuoteI think that if you want to get that jumping look the first set are not going to be high enough to get a good enough angle to look right. They  would need to be higher imo.

Agreed.  

I've kicked around this idea too.  I ended up thinking it's better to build the ramps yourself.  

The ramps need to be pretty big just to look like stunt items.  I wouldn't make them any smaller than 5-6 feet long (and 2 feet wide).  That sounds huge but the real ones on TV were more like double that size (even when hidden under some bushes).  The car is 18 feet long.  There's 10 feet of wheelbase between the front & rear wheels.  Try mocking up some little cardboard ramps with a toy model Charger and you'll see what I mean.

It would be smart to build the ramps in a few separate pieces (each side) for easier storage & handling.  

Display ramps don't need to be as heavy & robust as real stunt-type ramps.  You're probably not planning on loading up your car with 600 lbs of rollcage & trunk ballast and hitting the ramps at 60 mph.  The real ramps took a beating from those cars bottoming-out against them as they went up.  

BrianShaughnessy

Do the economy option.  There's even cheaper Rhino Gear ramps at Walmart rated for 12K for $40.    Either will do, Charger is 4000 lbs give or take. 

Being stackable will make your life easier going back and forth.   Those hydraulic jobs will be in the way...  back home too.

And if they don't really suit your needs for a show.. they make for great shade-tree oil change aids.   I got some rhinoramps awhile back and took my old steel ramps to the scraper.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have bought two sets of different ramps from Fred at Reverse Logic.

Great product. Superb customer service.

https://www.reverselogic.us/race-ramps.html

WHITE AND RED 69

Sorry to say but those Rhino ramps are junk. They slide when you pull onto them and are too bulky. I tossed a set because on any semi slick surface they are useless. You will need a pad underneath them to stop them from moving and even then they are not practical when it comes to storing them.

Check into Raceramps. They have a huge selection of ramps for whatever you want to do. They are a bit more expensive but are totally worth it. I have a set and use them all the time and love them. They have never slide a inch while driving up and they are two pieces for easy storage and helps when you are working under the car. Also if you are taking them to a show they'll fit in the trunk with plenty of room to spare.

https://raceramps.com/ramp-category/garage-and-service-ramps/

Or if you just want to raise the car with a jack you can use the wheel cribs to give it a lift in the front.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/12-wheel-cribs/
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Y1CHARGER

To really do it right, you can buy an older roll back tow truck.  Then you could move the bed of the truck into the load position and drape banners off the sides of the truck to the ground to simulate landscape, etc.  Also you'd have a cool tow truck for a hauler whenever you may need it :2thumbs:  or just borrow one for shows :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

This pic (I just pulled it off the net) might help with visualizing the size of things.  Those ramps would be about 2 feet high x 12 feet long.

You have to raise up one end of the car pretty high before the body looks very tilted.  It's such a long car.  

tcs69rt

Damn, that's a pretty green car!!!  :drool5:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Captain D

Many thanks gents for the replies, tips, suggestions, and ideas - you guys rock,  :cheers:

Hmm, a lot of good info to chew on in the meantime over this winter project. I totally see what you mean about the need to get some additional height for a big car like the 69' Charger. I'll be sure to check with Race Ramps to see what they can offer as far as height goes. When purchasing, it certainly makes sense to take the time and view the options. Attached were just a few random pics of the Race Ramps with other cars just for starters and to get a visual somewhat, lol. I suppose I'm looking for a front-end lift, but at the same time nothing overly crazy that would still enable the good folks to see inside the cab as the interior is just as nice as the exterior. The front-end of my Charger is quite jacked up, so I tend to keep that in mind when viewing misc. options.

Attached pics show 'about' the height I'm looking for. If it was a touch higher, that's still cool. Thank you again for the info - I greatly appreciate it!

Captain D

Charger_Dart

I second the Race Ramps, I have the RaceDeck in my garage it they never slide or move on it, super light and easy to move or store. Excellent product.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Captain D

...not second guessing the Race Ramps by any means, but a local friend noted that he purchased the Rhino Ramps & simply applied a no-slip grip spray and/or some of the snti-skid safety adhesive & it seemed to hold up. Interesting way to save $50, perhaps, lol...

6pkrtse

I would make some ramps out of some clear Bullet proof glass. So while on display it really looks like it is in the air. We have a shop locally & I remember always garbage picking thru their plastic scraps as kids while out on our BMX bikes. In high school shop class I made a clear guitar body, a clear base ball bat on the lathe, a clear carb spacer. And, many years later on I even made some clear rods for my lift off hood 69 Coronet R/T.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic