News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keisler A41 kit

Started by flyinlow, December 07, 2018, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Scored a  new, old stock Keisler A41 OD kit for my sons '70 Charger.

Any one who has installed this have any recommendations ?

Did not have the driveshaft or yoke.  I guess  standard chevy 4L60e yoke ? Will need a driveshaft about 4 inches longer.

What fluid ?

Charger_Dart

I put one of their kits in my 68 and was fortunate enough that I did not have to modify the trans tunnel at all. Its been in the car for about 7 years now and has never given me any trouble. I had to send them some measurements so they could make a custom driveshaft that would bolt in. If I remember correctly it came with eight quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid. Made cruising on the highway way more enjoyable!
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

fizz

Installed mine from a kit direct from Silver Sport (the guys who bought them out). Download the directions and everything will work out. Requires a custom driveshaft. I had to modify my headers on the passenger side to clear the cast trans pan, which was way easier mounted on the engine out of the car on the K frame. By the way, they were 2" ttis that were supposed to fit this combination.

flyinlow

Did you have to change any of the TCU programming ?

The instructions from silver State  I down loaded said there was a password and a CD ?

Did not get one.

69Chrgr

I also have the 2" TTi headers. How much dinging did it take to clear the trans pan? Looks like a kit is about $5500.00.

fizz

Not dinging, had to pie cut and turn the collector. Mine had a Simple Shift controller, I believe they went to something else now. I would update the controller that came with your kit so you have support.

Charger_Dart

Mine also has the Simple Shift controller with no CD or password.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

flyinlow

Thanks for the replies.

Assuming you have a B.B. and a 8 3/4 axle . Do you know how long the driveshaft is?

fizz

yes, 440 and 8 3/4. Silver Sport sent a driveshaft after the install was complete, they insisted we do it that way. I would probably follow their advise.

flyinlow

OK , I barrowed a chevy trans yoke to measure the drive shaft. My rear axle carriers have the large 7290 u joint. Do chevys use 7260/7290 u joints ? I asked a couple chevy guys they don't seam to know. Perhaps this would be a good time to go to a 1350 yoke and  driveshaft then use a 1350 to 7290 conversion joint at the rear?

cdr

Quote from: flyinlow on December 17, 2018, 09:29:24 PM
OK , I barrowed a chevy trans yoke to measure the drive shaft. My rear axle carriers have the large 7290 u joint. Do chevys use 7260/7290 u joints ? I asked a couple chevy guys they don't seam to know. Perhaps this would be a good time to go to a 1350 yoke and  driveshaft then use a 1350 to 7290 conversion joint at the rear?

Chevy uses a different joint
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Derwud

Yes, switch to the 1350 joint. But call SST. They have a company that makes the driveshaft to your specs.. And yes the have a rule of thumb number so if you are way off they will catch it..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

fizz

And make sure you measure with wheels on the ground and car at build weight.

69Chrgr

I just called Silver Sport for a quote on the A41 kit for a 69 Charger. $6,500.00. Too steep for me when the GV is less than half. I can have Holley Sniper EFI with Tanks Inc. setup along with GV for about $1600.00 left.

Kern Dog

That is sort of where I am with the O/D idea.  The GM trans sounds great...the lower 1st gear, O/D 4th and no cutting to get it to fit. That price though... :eek2:

fizz

Never had a gear vender, just about went that way but read some posts about chasing a vibration issue, which can get pretty tough with trying to correct driveshaft angle and a short driveshaft, so sprung the money on the Silver Sport. Compared to another hot rod I have with a turbo 400 and 355 gears, interstate speeds suck with the blue hairs passing you in minivans. The charger with the Silver Sport, and a 391 rear end ratio, cruises happily down the interstate @ 75, and still drives like a hot rod when I want it too. The lock up converter is awesome for cruising. Some advise I would give, is maybe get a converter somewhere else, I didn't get the stall speed I wanted with the kit.

flyinlow

I was going to go with the A518 /Ultrabell again, even had bought the Ultrabell. Then the Keisler came along at a price I could not pass on. 

3.06 first gear x 4.10 axle ..... 12 :1 gear reduction vs 2.45 x 3.23 axle now....8:1 gear reduction Might make difference 

4.10 x .70 overdrive .... 2.87 effective over all top gear ratio