News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel tank sender gasket

Started by flyinlow, December 07, 2018, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I installed a new tank in the '73 last summer. I installed an in tank FI pump in it. I still use the stock sending unit. The original thick gasket was starting to deteriorate so I used the one that came with the new sender. It appeared thinner. I used sealer with no problems for awhile. With the season coming to an end in Ohio I filled the tank. Its leaking.  :brickwall:

Where can you get a original thickness one?

cdr

Also the aftermarket lock ring is junk,that is what lets them leak MOST of the time.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ODZKing

Quote from: flyinlow on December 07, 2018, 10:08:26 AM
I installed a new tank in the '73 last summer. I installed an in tank FI pump in it. I still use the stock sending unit. The original thick gasket was starting to deteriorate so I used the one that came with the new sender. It appeared thinner. I used sealer with no problems for awhile. With the season coming to an end in Ohio I filled the tank. Its leaking.  :brickwall:

Where can you get a original thickness one?
Try DMT, all of their stuff I've gotten has been good. However I can't speak for the sender stuff.
This is the filler grommet. You may have to call them.
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-b-body-70-e-body-70-74-fuel-gas-tank-grommet-3404182/

jlatessa

CDR is right on the locking ring, no comparison to the OEM.
Really wrestled with the replacement ring, found the old one, cleaned it up and good to go.

Joe

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on December 07, 2018, 10:44:56 AM
Also the aftermarket lock ring is junk,that is what lets them leak MOST of the time.

When I bought my new sender, I compared the old lock ring to the ring that came with the sender.  The new one was thinner and so, I would guess, puts less pressure on the gasket or distorts as you install it.  I ended up using the SS lock ring that came with my tank (SS tank) and it matched the old one and worked fine.  I didn't even try the one that came with the sender because I heard about the problems people were having.

A lot of the senders come from Spectre (sp?) so may have the same problems.