News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Harmonic balancer install

Started by Hard Charger, December 08, 2018, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard Charger

looking for a harmonic balancer install tool.

the bolt is 3/4"-16

had no luck finding a bolt that size with tall threads

any ideas?

c00nhunterjoe

You should not need a tool to install. Many performance aftermarkets require honing prior to install to account for manufacturing tolerances between brands.

GreenMachine

I rented the install set from AutoZone and liked it, so I kept it. It's good quality and a little cheaper than I found online. Not only does it have all the pieces you'll need for most engines, it has the ball bearings too that helps with friction.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Mytur Binsdirti

Tap it on far enough with a block of wood and a hammer & when it's on 1/4" - 3/8", you can just drive it in with the factory bolt.

John_Kunkel

:iagree: Been doing it that way for years. If the damper hub isn't a good tight fit on the crank it can cause fretting of the crank snout. AMHIK
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Tap on a block of wood yes, smash with sledge or use an impact on an installer- no.

INTMD8

Quote from: Hard Charger on December 08, 2018, 03:08:04 PM

any ideas?

If possible let the garage/engine get cold. Heat dampener hub with propane torch for 15-20 seconds and it will usually slide on far enough to finish with the bolt.

But yes, if it's an aftermarket dampener (ATI usually seems the tightest) you may have to hone as Joe suggested.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

GreenMachine

I too have tapped them on enough to use the bolt, but the install tool is cheap enough to buy, or you can rent it for free. And you don't have to worry about damaging the threads in the crankshaft.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loaner-harmonic-balancer-installer/oem-harmonic-balancer-installer/391373_0_0

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

BSB67

Stock balancer - tap it on and thread it up, or

Mancini has a longer bolt, or

Buy install hardware, or

If ATI, have it professionally honed to fit

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

birdsandbees

You mean I could market the fine thread aircraft bolts I have as a balancer install tool?? I'd better get right on that! What's Mancini charge for a 3/4" (or was it 1") bolt? I probably have a 1000 of each size.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Hard Charger

great advice
thank you.

i ended up buying the same kit that is posted. Bought it online for about $36 delivered. Did the job fine.

I have a older 383 with 3/4"-16 crank bolt an it was difficult finding a kit to fit this. Was also having trouble finding a bolt and nut to make my own. Found a bolt but the nut was difficult.