News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Carter AVS 4920 accelerator pump

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, December 09, 2018, 03:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I have been fighting a no start situation on my 69 440 after the car sits for a few days. I thought the gas was evaporating but it wasn't. I took the top of the carb off and gas was in the bowls. I also quit some time ago using ethanol fuel. I have only been using real gas. I am not getting a good squirt from my accelerator pump. I discussed this with my engine builder and he mentioned that leather at the bottom of the accelerator pump was not the best design and suggested a rubber design. I have looked online and can't find what looks like an a good replacement. I can get a new one with leather from NAPA but not sure if that will fix the problem or just continue the problem. I will say that prior to rebuilding the carb I did not have this problem so maybe I just got a bad accelerator pump?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

Does it pump correctly after its warmed up?

Sixt8Chrgr

c00nhunterjoe

Doesnt make sense that the pump only acts up after a few days idle if it has fuel in it still. But regardless, edelbrock makes a rubber style that will fit the oe afb/avs style carbs. I do not recall the pn offhand but it is readily available.  The shaft length is a little longer then stock if i recall so you have to veridy pump travel to make sure it doesnt bottom out.

Sixt8Chrgr

ok thanks. I saw several online from Edelbrock just was unsure which one.

c00nhunterjoe

Yeah, i cant recall the part numbers but its based on the pump size in your carb. Measure the bore to he sure which one you need.

Sixt8Chrgr

Sixt8Chrgr

I put the new accelerator pump in and I believe it is solved. Need to do a few more tests. If still not fixed will adjust the floats