News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What should i do

Started by Slypnslyd, December 09, 2018, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Back N Black on December 11, 2018, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 10, 2018, 08:55:03 AM
Quote from: Slypnslyd on December 09, 2018, 08:04:30 PM
Here is a pic

There's two pictured, so which roach did you buy; the roached out parts car in the background or the primer roach in the foreground?

Personally, I don't see how anyone can give any informed advice based on that one crappy picture.

Fuck man your rude! We all can't afford what is sitting in your garage.

:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 11, 2018, 08:50:22 PM
Here is a pic

There's two pictured, so which roach did you buy; the roached out parts car in the background or the primer roach in the foreground?

Personally, I don't see how anyone can give any informed advice based on that one crappy picture.

Call me rude, but I'm a realist and someone's got to be the voice of reason around here. Unlike many others, I'm not going to encourage this guy to jump into something that is most likely as bad, if not worse than that yellow '68 on ebay, and especially based on that one crappy picture he has posted. And no offense to the OP & his photography skills, but it is a crappy picture.

Might as well add this guy in as being rude also....

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 10, 2018, 10:33:07 AM
It's your $50-60K you are going to spend all said/done restoring(minimum), so whatever floats your boat on the blank canvass ?

I must really be missing something, so can someone please point out that car's attributes to me? Might as well pick out the car's bad points as well.  

So you don't have to flip the page back, here it is...

Kern Dog

The INexperienced always seem to think that they are going to save money by buying a stripped out turd and building it up from parts car and swap meet scores. It rarely works out because many cars have ONE YEAR ONLY parts that can be hard to find. Also, unless you have experience, you often don't even know what is missing until you try to assemble the car.
Would you rather have a collection of people encouraging you despite the enormous financial mountain you are about to climb.....OR one or two people telling you the truth?
People bash on millenials for being entitiled, delusional and for thinking that they are special. Telling you GO for it, man...You'll do just fine! Is the same thing that resulted in the jerkoff millenial generation.
The truth is, unless you have excellent automotive skills, can weld, build engines AND have some really good contacts for buying ONE YEAR ONLY parts, this is a project that you may never finish, one that may end up being listed on craigslist in a few years.

70 sublime

Every one needs to have a first Charger before they can have second or third
Looks like the perfect car to learn on
Not all cars need to be show room perfect like most seem to think need to happen around here
Do what you can and learn from it

I have never had a perfect Charger and probably never will
The non perfect ones can still spin the tires and make lots of noise and you can park them in a parking lot and come back out without worrying so much who might breath on it when not around

You do not need to add $50 000 to fix a car to have a fun car when $10 000 will get you going  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi-hampton

There is a famous line in one of my Favorite Movies. And that is "you can't tell people anything, they won't listen or believe you, they have to learn it for themselves" So true, But by then it's to late. hindsight is 20/20. LEON.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 11, 2018, 10:29:51 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 11, 2018, 08:50:22 PM
Here is a pic

Call me rude, but I'm a realist and someone's got to be the voice of reason around here. Unlike many others, I'm not going to encourage this guy to jump into something that is most likely as bad, if not worse than that yellow '68 on ebay, and especially based on that one crappy picture he has posted. And no offense to the OP & his photography skills, but it is a crappy picture.

Might as well add this guy in as being rude also....

It's your $50-60K you are going to spend all said/done restoring(minimum), so whatever floats your boat on the blank canvass ?

I must really be missing something, so can someone please point out that car's attributes to me? Might as well pick out the car's bad points as well.   

So you don't have to flip the page back, here it is...

true BUT there is ways to say the same thing being more "pedagogical" and not just shitting out from your mouth, specially to those who don't know you! ( because we all know you are kinda "special" to say things! )

something like this sounds better and is saying more than just shitting out:

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 11, 2018, 10:58:01 PM
The INexperienced always seem to think that they are going to save money by buying a stripped out turd and building it up from parts car and swap meet scores. It rarely works out because many cars have ONE YEAR ONLY parts that can be hard to find. Also, unless you have experience, you often don't even know what is missing until you try to assemble the car.
Would you rather have a collection of people encouraging you despite the enormous financial mountain you are about to climb.....OR one or two people telling you the truth?
People bash on millenials for being entitiled, delusional and for thinking that they are special. Telling you GO for it, man...You'll do just fine! Is the same thing that resulted in the jerkoff millenial generation.
The truth is, unless you have excellent automotive skills, can weld, build engines AND have some really good contacts for buying ONE YEAR ONLY parts, this is a project that you may never finish, one that may end up being listed on craigslist in a few years.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Homerr

I don't mind Mytur, although I wouldn't call him the voice of reason.   :laugh:

The way I look at it is that Chargers, 68-70 in particular, are a finite resource.  If someone wants to buy a rusty hulk and put some time and effort (and $$) in on it to keep it from returning to the earth then go for it.  Think of Chargers like having a carbon footprint, except as a 'cash footprint'.  Well the rusty ones are in the hole by a large amount, Mytur is really just pointing this out.  But would you rather they be crushed?  Or go through the hands of a several dreamers in a dozen years and still exist when they will be even more finite?  Maybe enough people will compile enough parts to one day make a particular Charger within reach for someone to actually restore.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Homerr on December 12, 2018, 08:52:45 AM
I don't mind Mytur, although I wouldn't call him the voice of reason.   :laugh:

CDN72SE

Welcome to the site, throw some more pictures up when you have the chance. Once you get everything stripped down you will have a better idea of what you are working with.
1972 Charger SE

Slypnslyd

2jz is still an open option was just talking to my buddy about that ....but got a big lock from a buddy of mine
But who knows still in the beginning stages
Needs drivers quarter ,1/2 trunk floor and 2 spots i need to replace on 
Passenger side

hemi-hampton

What is 2jz :shruggy: Some kind of Morse code :shruggy: :scratchchin: :brickwall:

Kern Dog

I think it is a Japanese turbo straight six.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 12, 2018, 10:54:55 PM
What is 2jz :shruggy: Some kind of Morse code :shruggy: :scratchchin: :brickwall:

My guess is that it's some sort of abstract millennial text-speak; something us old timers (over age 50) know nothing about.

Slypnslyd

Just to set the record straight to Mr. know it all charger this is not the first or last rebuild I'm doing from scratch .
I don't really care what you have in your garage.
I just finished restoring a 70 Cuda that we replaced almost every panel .
Unlike Mr.know it all i do all the work myself .

Lennard

Just try to ignore the trolls. Some people have more money than brains.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Lennard on December 13, 2018, 08:59:13 AM
  Some people have more money than brains.

And some people are just thieves.

Slypnslyd

Again to piss off a true Mopar enthusiast like Mr. Mopar
I will build ...MY CAR... they way i want to build it instead
Of buying it done ....a true enthusiast wouldn't trash someone's build
But would rather assist and be happy that another charger will be saved
Instead of being crushed ....
Thank you everyone else for your assistance

Lennard

Quote from: Slypnslyd on December 13, 2018, 09:59:08 AM
Again to piss off a true Mopar enthusiast like Mr. Mopar
I will build ...MY CAR... they way i want to build it instead
Of buying it done ....a true enthusiast wouldn't trash someone's build
But would rather assist and be happy that another charger will be saved
Instead of being crushed ....
Thank you everyone else for your assistance
100% true :2thumbs:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: JR on December 10, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
It's a cool conversation piece, but I doubt many people are out there scouring the market for slant 6 b bodies.

I happen to be one of those few people keeping my eyes peeled for second gen /6 Chargers, especially a 1970 Charger 500 version (or the missing one of one 1970 Charger 500 SE with the /6).  Of course, I am bias because I already have one in my stash of projects.  I think it would be interesting to have a set of /6 Chargers from each year of production setting side by side, as only a few have likely ever seen that done before, including back in the day.
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Lennard

Chris (cbrestorations) had a red '68 for a couple months and quickly sold it to a buddy of his. He was tired of being passed by Geo Metros and school buses. :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U8WA9r2onx4&t=1600s

Challenger340

I reiterate, and at the risk of my once again being perceived as "rude", which really is NOT my intent here, rather just trying illustrate the reality..... to expectations when undertaking such projects ?

without which,
lest the end result be, what has already been so eloquently exampled here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Charger/283300101788?hash=item41f6007e9c:g:UOcAAOSwUPVb8wJK:rk:3:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Again, no "rude" or otherwise disrectful ill intent from me here with your build ?

And I don't think others have any real ill intent either ? beyond just trying to illustrate the reality in experience for many, that these projects can often turn into a "spend until done" undertaking, that many in hindsight wish they had never started at the outset.

As long as you are cognizant of what you are getting into.... and have confidence in your abilities to do alot of the work yourself.... build your project as you see fit.

LOTS of smart guys here on this site, with TONS of knowledge that many will be only too happy to share/help as you move forward.  :2thumbs:

Here's a great link/good read as reference
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104414.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John Milner

I would go for it if the frame rails are all solid and if the title will be easy enough to get.  These days finding an affordable 68-70 Charger is easier said than done.  If you can do all of the work yourself, you won't have a ridiculous amount of money invested in the car.  It starts to get very expensive when you hire the paint/body work done, the engine assembly, transmission/rear axle rebuilding, hire someone to assemble the car, things like that.  Replacing a quarter panel is really not that difficult of a task if you can use a welder.  The hardest part will be tracking down any parts that it might need. An original hood might be difficult and pricy to find.  Correct 69 style bucket seats will be difficult to find and pricy as well.  I bought a car similar to what you are looking at and it is almost on the road.  It is just a driver but I have nowhere near $50,000 in the restoration.  I don't even have $20,000 invested in the whole car.  I didn't hire a single thing other than machine work on my 440 done though.  I personally would rather have a car like you are looking at so there aren't any surprises.  You could go buy a shiny expensive Charger off of Ebay but you wouldn't know for sure what was hiding under the shiny paint or inside of the engine.  I also like working on them though.  If you don't like working on cars, a car like this wouldn't be for you. If you enjoy rebuilding them, I'd say go for it.   

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 13, 2018, 11:42:51 AM
I reiterate, and at the risk of my once again being perceived as "rude", which really is NOT my intent here, rather just trying illustrate the reality..... to expectations when undertaking such projects ?

I think part of the deal is not what is said but how its being said ;) and we have first characters around here not specially soft talking, specially to somebody who doesn't know who is each one of us.

Several members here has being educated to say the same... but one of us, as usually the same who find out the quick key to get the same conflicts with regularity ;)

( I really don't care, is just about how is everyone of us and take it or leave it, but some others do care )

c00nhunterjoe

I dont think turbin wastrying to be an ass. The op asked for an opinion on what to do with the car and posted a... well we will call it less then stellar picture of the said project. I have rusty junk in my garage. Actually its not rusty cause i have gallons of bondo in it covered in tractor supply tractor paint.... so i guess that means that makes me the voice of reason?  If so, based on that picture, the car is barely able to be classified as a shell. So do whatever the hell you want with it. Cause i would. But people say im crazy for some of the stuff i do. A purist would say i ruined my car because its orange with an 01 on the door ignoring every other aspect of the car. Bottom line- i dont give a shit, and neither should you. Build it, spend more money on it then its worth, and have fun doing it. Thats the way the hobby works.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John Milner on December 13, 2018, 12:05:08 PM
I would go for it if the frame rails are all solid and if the title will be easy enough to get.  These days finding an affordable 68-70 Charger is easier said than done.  If you can do all of the work yourself, you won't have a ridiculous amount of money invested in the car.  It starts to get very expensive when you hire the paint/body work done, the engine assembly, transmission/rear axle rebuilding, hire someone to assemble the car, things like that.  Replacing a quarter panel is really not that difficult of a task if you can use a welder.  The hardest part will be tracking down any parts that it might need. An original hood might be difficult and pricy to find.  Correct 69 style bucket seats will be difficult to find and pricy as well.  I bought a car similar to what you are looking at and it is almost on the road.  It is just a driver but I have nowhere near $50,000 in the restoration.  I don't even have $20,000 invested in the whole car.  I didn't hire a single thing other than machine work on my 440 done though.  I personally would rather have a car like you are looking at so there aren't any surprises.  You could go buy a shiny expensive Charger off of Ebay but you wouldn't know for sure what was hiding under the shiny paint or inside of the engine.  I also like working on them though.  If you don't like working on cars, a car like this wouldn't be for you. If you enjoy rebuilding them, I'd say go for it.   

Complete factory frame rails are available and cheaper then a single quarter panel. Budget should be the only deciding factor with a 69 charger. Starting from dead scrstch shell, it is not hard to be over 100 thousand to restore it "properly".