News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 way radio?

Started by b5blue, December 11, 2018, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

CB GMRS Ham, two way radio's, anyone here into these? For me it started during hurricane Erma last year and after watching the Florida panhandle get slammed how could/would you have any communicative ability? Last years 6 days of no power had me get a "dual fuel generator and small A/C unit. This year closely following what happens during and after events such as the panhandle's storm and Califonia's fires I found remarkable hand held units available for not much money. (Less than 50.00 on Amazon.)
I'm hearing buzz about GMRS getting bigger but leaning toward Ham's cheap 15.00 35 question test to get started.  :scratchchin: Any opinions/input or comments welcome.

draftingmonkey

Good thing to be thinking about. After the Northridge quake here in SoCal in 1994 communications were messed up in a lot of areas. What folks did not take into account is that quakes, hurricanes, fires, etc. can take out cell towers and poof...no cell service.
As to what to look at the biggest difference is that a GMRS license can cover the whole family, while a HAM license will only cover the individual licensed. GMRS does not require a test, only a fee paid while any FCC Amateur License (HAM) will require a test. Have a Tech Class license myself and easy enough to pass. Practice questions can be found online and there is no longer a morse code requirement for the license.
While some GMRS radios will advertise ranges of 36 miles in reality it may be as little as 10 or even less depending on terrain, atmospherics, etc. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2016/12/gmrs_radio_range_chart.html
While range may be increased if able to use area repeaters it can still be iffy and not all repeaters are open to anyone - may have to join a repeater group to access.
If you go with a Technician Class License (HAM) it opens up more possibilities for communications. My pappy (General Class) will set up a solar powered station for his radios and string up portable antennas either in the surrounding trees or with sectional poles that he can set up. You can get a lot more distance from radios in the bands allowed to Tech Class licensesees and depending on your radio setup you can get a lot more power also. Plenty of radios available to tech level licenses are available to also be setup in your car.
I know some folks have actually gone with both a GMRS and a HAM license. If you have family nearby and not everyone wants to get a HAM license then getting both may be something to consider. GMRS to keep the family in touch and you or another member getting a HAM license.
Believe it or not but at the Tech Class level and using the right equipment you can actually talk to other HAMS internationally via satellites.
BTW my wife also has a Tech Class license and she is a very untechnical person and was able to pass the test with no issue. Drop in to a local HAM store. HAMS will be more than happy to talk with you about licenses, radios and the possibilities available to you.

Todd Wilson

Get your ham tech license and then buy a few 2 meter radios. You should have a local ham radio club that can help you get started and test. They also probably have a few repeaters out there extending your talk range on 2 meter. 2 meter VHF radios can be setup and used fairly fast for local communications. Most ham radio clubs are involved with emergency agencies to help in times of need so you will have access to a lot of current information if they help out in times of need.

Todd

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 15, 2018, 09:34:07 PM
Get your ham tech license and then buy a few 2 meter radios. You should have a local ham radio club that can help you get started and test. They also probably have a few repeaters out there extending your talk range on 2 meter. 2 meter VHF radios can be setup and used fairly fast for local communications. Most ham radio clubs are involved with emergency agencies to help in times of need so you will have access to a lot of current information if they help out in times of need.

Todd

Absolutely agree here! I used 2M in our off road rigs for years. We've made 80 mile contacts in the desert with them with no repeater! Even the cheap Baofeng radios work well on 2M.

b5blue

Thanks guys I have been looking at the ones on Amazon for around 65.00 but have seen as cheap as 25.00! Found a contact close for testing and hope the info is good.  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

I have been into the CB radios since the 70's. I was living in California in the high desert where tons of people were on them back then. My base radio was a black face Johnson tube type 10 channel radio, a Turner 2+2 power mic and a 200 watt afterburner amp. The signal was pushed out of a 1/2 wave antenna on a 60 foot push up pole. The amp would multiply what you put into it so that a normal radio at 2 watts would push up to 200 watts as you dial up the power. I was barefoot at 10 watts. So I had no problem talking where ever I wanted. Late at night it was common for me to be talking all over the mid west. I still have a few of the mobile units, but have not been on a base unit for 20 years now. The funny thing was that a neighbor of mine came over one day and said she had woke up in the middle of the night and heard a voice in her kitchen. she went in to investigate and when she followed the voice, it was me. I was actually vibrating the coils in her toaster.  Fun memories!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: nvrbdn on December 16, 2018, 01:24:26 PM
I have been into the CB radios since the 70's. I was living in California in the high desert where tons of people were on them back then. My base radio was a black face Johnson tube type 10 channel radio, a Turner 2+2 power mic and a 200 watt afterburner amp. The signal was pushed out of a 1/2 wave antenna on a 60 foot push up pole. The amp would multiply what you put into it so that a normal radio at 2 watts would push up to 200 watts as you dial up the power. I was barefoot at 10 watts. So I had no problem talking where ever I wanted. Late at night it was common for me to be talking all over the mid west. I still have a few of the mobile units, but have not been on a base unit for 20 years now. The funny thing was that a neighbor of mine came over one day and said she had woke up in the middle of the night and heard a voice in her kitchen. she went in to investigate and when she followed the voice, it was me. I was actually vibrating the coils in her toaster.  Fun memories!!!

Do you live in Alabama?? :)  We were down in Mexico a few years back and I swear to you I was listening to a guy on SSB that was from Alabama!

nvrbdn

No, I am in Illinois now.  But with the power amps they have out there, It is very possible to get good distance.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

doctor4766

Not sure what frequencies you guys in the US are using these days, but here in Oz, back in the 70s and 80s we were on the 27mhz band, similar to the 23 channels that you initially had. Plenty of fun to be had meeting other people, especially the girls  :rofl:
SSB was good for talking across the country and internationally too when a phenomenon known as skip was occurring (radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere and landing sometimes thousands of kms away) Had some huge antennas at my place. 3 element beams, ringos and 5/8 ground plains to name just a couple. Even spoke a number of times with Americans all the way from Perth in Western Australia.
Then in the mid 80s we got UHF CB. A much higher frequency at I think was 477mhz. Much clearer signal for around town but was pretty much line of sight unless you used an accessible repeater.
Still have some of these radios but since cell phones have taken off they get very little use.
Gotta love a '69

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 16, 2018, 06:30:55 PM
Not sure what frequencies you guys in the US are using these days, but here in Oz, back in the 70s and 80s we were on the 27mhz band, similar to the 23 channels that you initially had. Plenty of fun to be had meeting other people, especially the girls  :rofl:
SSB was good for talking across the country and internationally too when a phenomenon known as skip was occurring (radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere and landing sometimes thousands of kms away) Had some huge antennas at my place. 3 element beams, ringos and 5/8 ground plains to name just a couple. Even spoke a number of times with Americans all the way from Perth in Western Australia.
Then in the mid 80s we got UHF CB. A much higher frequency at I think was 477mhz. Much clearer signal for around town but was pretty much line of sight unless you used an accessible repeater.
Still have some of these radios but since cell phones have taken off they get very little use.

I sold off most of my stuff. With 2Meter and 440Mhz repeaters now and Internet connected repeaters, I think things like SSB are going away. It's pretty cool though. A few christmas' ago, I was sitting in the drive through at Starbucks and talking to a guy in the UK over IRLP.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on December 18, 2018, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: doctor4766 on December 16, 2018, 06:30:55 PM

I sold off most of my stuff. With 2Meter and 440Mhz repeaters now and Internet connected repeaters, I think things like SSB are going away. It's pretty cool though. A few christmas' ago, I was sitting in the drive through at Starbucks and talking to a guy in the UK over IRLP.

HF Ham radio is alive and well. SSB is being used all the time.  The Big Dogs run AM!

Todd

Old Moparz

The closest I am to being into it is having saved several CB radios from various cars that my wife & I had over the years from when we both commuted 100 to 150 miles to work round trip every day. She loved using it for locating speed traps & accidents but I hardly ever bothered with mine. I am sure I have 4 or 5 in a cabinet.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

Amateur Radio (aka Ham Radio) is in a whole other world then CB and should not be confused.................

Todd

b5blue

Okay I've ordered this Baofeng BF-F8HP for 35 bucks.  https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp   Looks to be latest model with best manual. I'll check it out and contact my local HAM's. Being cheap I'll see if my library has any test training books.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: b5blue on December 31, 2018, 12:47:32 PM
  Okay I've ordered this Baofeng BF-F8HP for 35 bucks.  https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp   Looks to be latest model with best manual. I'll check it out and contact my local HAM's. Being cheap I'll see if my library has any test training books.

Awesome!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: b5blue on December 31, 2018, 12:47:32 PM

I doubt you will find any testing books at the library as the question pool for each class of license changes every few years. You can buy a book for 20-30$ online  that has the question pool in it. There are also online testing sites for you to practice taking the tests............

Gordon West has good books for learning and testing...........

https://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/main/page_w5yi_training_resources.html

You may be able to find them cheaper on Amazon.

Todd

alfaitalia

A library? Really? Not been in one since they invented the internet and E readers!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

b5blue

Got 3 books on the Tech. class test today from the library. We are in a cycle year, come June new books will be for 2019-2023. Radio here soon.

b5blue

b5blue

Aw crap the 1st HAM book I look at said "good till June 2018".  :lol:  Fed-Ex just delivered the UV-5RTP!  :2thumbs: (This thing is the size of a pack of smokes.)

b5blue

Correct book is here and on my kindle. (Craig Buck K4IA "the easy way") For 2018-2022  I'm relearning much of my USAF schooling.  :lol: