News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter Relay options

Started by PA Dodger, December 13, 2018, 10:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dodger

I'm doing a complete rewire on my '69 Charger. I'm using an American Autowire Classic Update wiring harness. I did the headlight relay upgrade and have a few more upgrades in mind. The battery will be in the trunk. The positive cable will run to the front to a terminal post. I plan on hooking the pos. cable, starter feed, alt output, and starter relay feed to this post. Some of these wires would normally go to the starter relay post. So, my starter relay wiring is now ground (neutral safety switch), ignition, power, and starter solenoid. Could a standard 4 post relay be used instead of the factory one? If so, what amp rating? What sized power feed to it from the terminal post? All of the wiring will be hidden for the most part and I already made a relay bank for other functions so this would help clean up the engine bay.
Thanks   
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Derwud

I am in the same boat. I have to figure out what to do with a 5spd SST trans swap too. What Starter are you using? I would say a 40 Amp 4 pin relay will work and as you said, just using the Neutral Safety Switch as a ground through from the ign switch. So power through the ign switch to relay to ground through the N/S switch.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

John_Kunkel

A 30-amp ISO relay wired as below will work. If you're gonna use the factory ignition switch with the aftermarket wiring kit you'll have to tie the IGN1 and IGN2 circuits together.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

PA Dodger

John-My logic was telling me that's all it should take but my common sense was saying it can't be that easy. I couldn't see any issues with routing all of the starter relay connections to a positive terminal post but wanted to make sure. The American Autowire harness handles the IGN circuits as needed so that was already addressed. I'm pretty impressed with this kit. I bought it because it has fuse block and bulkhead provisions for the electric fan and fuel pump that I'll be running. And it has wiring for power windows and locks if you want to add them.

Derwud - I'll be using one of the mini starters like the 90's Dakota everyone suggests. You're partially right right on the boat thing. Only, my setup is a Gear Vendors OD setup that needs special wiring. My car is a fully painted shell that I'm wiring first, and trying to remember what all needs to be addressed. It would have been easier to wire everything after the car was assembled but I'm not running all of the wiring as the factory routed it so I have to plan ahead. 

Thanks 
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda