News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona and Superbird Steel Components

Started by a12butterscotchbee, November 24, 2016, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a12butterscotchbee

Hello Fellow Mopar Fans,

Allow me the opportunity to introduce myself: My name is James Davis. I just joined  this forum and want to take this opportunity to announce specific wing car components  we hand-craft at my facility here in the peach state: Georgia.  

Jack McCaughey (JMI/wingcarfab.com) was a close and talented friend who manufactured steel noses, steel rear window plugs and various other wing car specific parts for fellow enthusiasts.  Although Jack has passed, a tradition of producing these components will now continue as a tribute to my departed friend.
Although it has taken much time, effort, determination, and patience, success in fabricating these components has been achieved.  All equipment, tooling, templating,and a host of original parts Jack utilized in his operation has been relocated into a 1940's era dealership I call home. My background includes engineering and machining working in the aerospace industry.
Current reproduction rear glass and trim offered for sale for all three aero cars was patterned from original components I supplied to the major manufacturer. This greatly reduced the possibility of a bad fit of the reproduction glass into our rear plug for either a 500, Daytona, or Superbird.
The steel noses for either car are fabricated, assembled (held together with sheet-metal screws), crated and shipped in an un-welded state. However, for absolute best fitment, I prefer a "tailor-built" approach to a particular car due to the many factors that influence overall nose fitment.

If there is interest, I will respond with images and information-just ask.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you soon.

James

cbrestorations

of course there is interest...post up pics and prices because they will sell

Charger-Bodie

Jack was a great man and built very nice parts. If you do the same people will buy.

Thanks for the heads up.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70 sublime

Would like to see some pictures and prices on the Daytona nose cone
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Brads70

:popcrn:  Love to see some pictures of your work!  :2thumbs:

a12butterscotchbee

Hello,

Thanks for the interest. Attached are images of a Daytona nose and a rear plug for a Superbird. Experienced difficulties in posting images upside down but resolved problems and re-posted. I will attach additional images of a Charger 500 build along with another Charger build currently under reconstruction.

Stay tuned...  :2thumbs::coolgleamA:

a12butterscotchbee

Quote from: a12butterscotchbee on November 25, 2016, 09:14:02 AM

Attached are images of both a real 500 and 1969 Charger resto-mod under re-construction...Just sharing some of the effort that goes on in my facility...

Enjoy... :2thumbs:

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

fastmark

Welcome to the board. First of all, I like your screen name. I too have an A12 butterscotch Bee. How are you with repairs on OEM noses? I have a Gene Gregory nose on my car but my original nose is fixable. Pm me your email address and I'll send you some pictures. It's not a top priority, but I would like to get it repaired.

cudavic

I have seen James work, shop and restorations first hand and will say he is an exceptionally talented gentleman.
I glad to see you here James, I am sure you are going to be a beneficial resource for the Aero community. Sincerely Vic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

a12butterscotchbee

Quote from: fastmark on November 26, 2016, 08:30:14 AM
Welcome to the board. First of all, I like your screen name. I too have an A12 butterscotch Bee. How are you with repairs on OEM noses? I have a Gene Gregory nose on my car but my original nose is fixable. Pm me your email address and I'll send you some pictures. It's not a top priority, but I would like to get it repaired.

FasMark,

Thanks for the greeting-glad to be part of the forum.

Yes, A12 cars have that certain "something" akin to the aero cars.

I would not anticipate any concerns pertaining to your nose. Our approach to reconstructing  a nose include: thorough cleaning, inspection, setup and measurement utilizing a jig tooled in-house, panel removal. media-blasting, fabricate new panel(s), re-mount nose on jig, install new panel(s), re-blast, metal treatment, apply primer, crate, ship or pickup.
Time: ~ one week.
My email address: vmw@windstream.net

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Seabeckredneck

Hi James,
  I'm just gathering parts right now to build an imitation Superbird. (Can't really call it a clone). I am interested in a metal rear window plug. Do you have one available or could be fabricated? How much would one run me with shipping to Washington state?
  Thanks for posting your services.
   Chris

hemi68charger

Hello James and thank you for posting...

The fact you have taken on the challenge of carrying on Jack's legacy is great. There will always be a need and demand for these components, albeit not as plentiful as say, some guy wanting to put a 350 in his Camero.. But, it will be there nonetheless. I hope you can find that sweet spot of economic "Supply and Demand" and can continue with the builds..

Can you list the components that you will be making?

1. Noses (both)
2. Rear window plugs (both)
3. C500/Daytona trunk end cap
4. other nose internal components?
5. Valances (both)

Thanks again...
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Last time James was on here was December, 2016....    :Twocents:

Maybe try his email?

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Redbird

At Mopars at Carlisle this year there was a booth for Rick's Parts. Web site ricksparts.net.

I do not know him, don't know how the parts fit, or how he works.

He did have nice looking stuff, and it looked like steel stuff.

Ted Janak also had a booth elsewhere on the grounds.

odcics2

Quote from: Redbird on October 22, 2017, 09:54:16 AM
At Mopars at Carlisle this year there was a booth for Rick's Parts. Web site ricksparts.net.

I do not know him, don't know how the parts fit, or how he works.

He did have nice looking stuff, and it looked like steel stuff.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130264.0.html
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Seabeckredneck

Has anyone heard from James? I tried to email him and the email was returned 'undeliverable'.

Chris

superbirdtom

isn't he the Jim Davis of VINTAGE METAL WORKS in Georgia?? if so there u go alive and well and has all the jack Mcgaughy tools i hope.

Seabeckredneck

Thanks Superbird Tom,
  That's the place.

Chris

Lifsgrt

Emailed him last night at jim.davisvmw@gmail.com, he responded this morning. Sounds like he is really busy, but there he is.
Best time 11.07@121

Lifsgrt

Best time 11.07@121