News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Daytona on Ebay

Started by Y1CHARGER, December 15, 2018, 07:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: winged69 on December 17, 2018, 11:45:18 AM
Sitting in the background watching the comments on this car just makes me laugh. Some people are on the right trail but others are out and lost.

Canada did not go metric until 1978. We were just like the USA. Mudflaps are clipped on. Sorry we do get gravel and it can be the size of boulders.

Ask right questions and you might get answers
How do you know the mud flaps are clipped on, Is This Your Car? Any information or pictures you can add?

1969daytona

Quote from: Stevetona on December 16, 2018, 02:58:33 AM
It's in Saskatoon. Think there was a red Daytona for sale there a couple years ago. PS. I think that might be a Grumman Tracker or an A-26 in the background.

Didn´t that one have a white wing and white interior?

K-E
MoPar or NO car

alfaitalia

Not all of Europe....in the UK we are metric everything officially but most use both metric and imperial depending on their age! But we are solidly MPH on the roads...mph on car Speedo and all speed limit signs in miles. We are very different to the lot on mainland Europe......luckily!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Stevetona

Quote from: 1969daytona on December 17, 2018, 02:00:19 PM
Quote from: Stevetona on December 16, 2018, 02:58:33 AM
It's in Saskatoon. Think there was a red Daytona for sale there a couple years ago. PS. I think that might be a Grumman Tracker or an A-26 in the background.

Didn´t that one have a white wing and white interior?

K-E

Yes I think you're right. And it was an automatic. My bad. Not like I'd expect 2 red Daytona's up in Saskatoon.  :lol:

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on December 17, 2018, 01:50:42 PM
Quote from: winged69 on December 17, 2018, 11:45:18 AM
Sitting in the background watching the comments on this car just makes me laugh. Some people are on the right trail but others are out and lost.

Canada did not go metric until 1978. We were just like the USA. Mudflaps are clipped on. Sorry we do get gravel and it can be the size of boulders.

Ask right questions and you might get answers
How do you know the mud flaps are clipped on, Is This Your Car? Any information or pictures you can add?
I Don't understand how someone lists their car on ebay for $275,000 and is so secretive about giving out any information on it and thinks it's funny.  Sounds like seller's hiding something. Looks like I got on the right trail and found the answers to my questions, seems like the car on ebay in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada is XX29L9B414667 according to these other two threads on here
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,68400.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92573.0.html

Moparpoolman

I was interested in this car when I saw it on ebay and contacted the the seller.  I asked for more pictures, engine, interior, fender tag and underside because I like to know everything about a car before I spend thousands of dollars to go look at it.  The seller doesn't think so.  He did email me back a couple of times so I thought I'd share the exchange.

He said  "Unable to get more pics. Car is in storage......... I will return your call if I am out. Also for reference I turned down the 275k usd."
     I responded "Thanks for the picture but I must say that for someone wanting more than $275,000 for a car and posting only 3 pictures in an ad seems a little strange.  If true which I doubt, Turning down $275,000 is probably going to be one of your biggest mistakes ever.  I'm Out, Good luck with your sale."
  He responded "So calling me  a liar. It is winter here and it is the only pics I  have that are digital. At this price I would myself come to look. Go find one . They made 503.. before I would show I would want proof you have the money in return" 
  then He sent another right after saying "I have had 3 wingcars so I have a little knowledge. I will not give out full serial number as fraud in the US is rampant.i make a rule to go look at what you are buying.   Thank you for your interest and comments."

When a seller wants a more than $275,000 for a car, I think the seller should be more willing to give up some information about it in it's advertisement.   :Twocents:

A383Wing

Quote from: Moparpoolman on December 21, 2018, 10:59:12 AM

When a seller wants a more than $275,000 for a car, I think the seller should be more willing to give up some information about it in it's advertisement.   :Twocents:

Exactly what I said in my first reply.....he's asking a lot of money for a car with little to no information and very little pictures of the car

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Stevetona

I'm sure he's reading this thread like the Superbird guy who was outed with the fake fender tag (white to green and auto to 4 speed).  :scratchchin:

winged69

Understand other methods of disposal are being looked at by owner.

mpd659

It's his car to sell the way he wants to. The ad clearly states serious buyers need to come and look at the car and make an offer. I guess get a hold of him and take your suitcase of money along and verify what you need to and make him the offer.   

Russ

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: Moparpoolman on December 21, 2018, 10:59:12 AM
I was interested in this car when I saw it on ebay and contacted the the seller.  I asked for more pictures, engine, interior, fender tag and underside because I like to know everything about a car before I spend thousands of dollars to go look at it.  The seller doesn't think so.  He did email me back a couple of times so I thought I'd share the exchange.

He said  "Unable to get more pics. Car is in storage......... I will return your call if I am out. Also for reference I turned down the 275k usd."
    I responded "Thanks for the picture but I must say that for someone wanting more than $275,000 for a car and posting only 3 pictures in an ad seems a little strange.  If true which I doubt, Turning down $275,000 is probably going to be one of your biggest mistakes ever.  I'm Out, Good luck with your sale."
 He responded "So calling me  a liar. It is winter here and it is the only pics I  have that are digital. At this price I would myself come to look. Go find one . They made 503.. before I would show I would want proof you have the money in return"  
 then He sent another right after saying "I have had 3 wingcars so I have a little knowledge. I will not give out full serial number as fraud in the US is rampant.i make a rule to go look at what you are buying.   Thank you for your interest and comments."

When a seller wants a more than $275,000 for a car, I think the seller should be more willing to give up some information about it in it's advertisement.   :Twocents:

That sounds really fishy wants proof that you have the money. What maybe a deposit up front before you can fly down, ya right.  He won't give out the vin because of fraud, what's that mean, if you got the vin you can somehow steal it ???   Either this is a scam or he's extremely eccentric and wont be able to sell it due to his personality.   I purchased a 1970 Challenger few years back it was about 2000 miles away in Ontario, I got a local car appraiser $200 to drop by get a detailed appraisal with lots of pics.  After reviewing the appraisal (which I needed anyways for insurance) and speaking with him who worked for me I decided to drive up, check it out in person, and actually pay for it.  

P.S. it is winter hear but the temp is just about at the freezing point nothing stopping anyone from showing a car, no test drives but could start it and have a really good look.   :Twocents:

70 sublime

Not defending this Daytona seller but from selling a few Chargers over the years I have wasted enough time on guys showing up but only have half the money to spend from what I am asking
I would imagine it is 100 times worse trying to sell a real Daytona to try and sort out who really has the cash and who just wants to see a real one

His ad good or bad has certainly created a lot of conversation on his car and if there was someone with the real cash to spend out there to buy this car they would figure out how to get it done 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi-hampton

His ad is to weed out the tire kickers, serious only. I know how it is trying to sell a car, way to many tire kickers low balling. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Y1CHARGER

Does a Daytona like this one (414667) with no options worth more because of the no options? or less? or same because of the low production numbers of a Daytona?

Also does the nose cone and all the brackets and hardware that goes with it weigh more or less than a 69 Charger front end(grill, bumper, frt val, etc.).    If yes,  is it harder to steer a Daytona without power steering than a regular Charger?  I always thought all Daytonas had power steering because of the nose.

winged69

In collector cars it seems if it has no options it is rare and people like low option cars. Radio delete and dogdish hubcaps are common. A high option car seems to be treated the same. The medium optioned cars ride a bit lower.Think of the early Corvettes with big tank and radio and heater delete.Now for today with the low production number of Daytonas you really do not have much of a selection. If you find one you almost have to buy. You can't go to a dealer and order.

Now no power steering is not bad except you need to get rolling to do things like parking and make turns at low speed. Also manual drum brakes do work.

From previous known history of Daytonas these cars were Charger Rt's. They were selected of the line and could of been any car with any options

hemigeno

Quote from: winged69 on December 27, 2018, 04:01:25 PM
From previous known history of Daytonas these cars were Charger Rt's. They were selected of the line and could of been any car with any options

Not really, to be honest.

These were purpose-built cars, which were designated as a Daytona from the day the order was entered into the system.  Hamtramck knew ahead of time which cars were earmarked to be sent to Creative Industries.  You can tell that by the VON.  There's only one exception to that pattern, and that's the Dale Reeker car (287970) which has a SPD in early February -- prior to the Daytona program's inception.  That car wasn't pulled off the assembly line either, as it was long-since completed when Creative got ahold of it.  

There were also otherwise-available Charger R/T options you could not order from the factory on a Daytona:

> Air Conditioning
> Luggage Rack
> Vinyl Roof (yes, I'm aware that some had dealer-installed v-tops)
> Sun Roof
> Performance Hood Paint

I've wheeled around a manual-steering Daytona (manual brakes too), and it's not horrible - especially with properly inflated bias-ply tires.  But, Kelvin's absolutely correct that it does get a whole lot easier to steer once the car starts moving.  Kelvin's also right that manual brakes will indeed stop the car just fine... but they do start fading fairly quick.

:cheers:

1969daytona

I've wheeled around a manual-steering Daytona (manual brakes too), and it's not horrible - especially with properly inflated bias-ply tires.  But, Kelvin's absolutely correct that it does get a whole lot easier to steer once the car starts moving.  Kelvin's also right that manual brakes will indeed stop the car just fine... but they do start fading fairly quick.

:cheers:

[/quote]

I vote in for that.
Manual Drum brake is not A problem if you don't run modern made "bacon" shoes. I have tested my 70 Coronet with factory stock brakes (28000miles) from 120mph to 0. it was first on the second try it started fading. 5-8 min cool down and they was back normal.
With manual disc brakes on the other hand then you will need to work for the stop.

K-E
MoPar or NO car

winged69

This is the question on how daytonas were selected. I understood that they were randomly selected, that is why the car could be any color or have any options that were allowed. Up in Canada our serial numbers are sequential with lower serial numbers from east and highest ending in the west. I have my owners manual that the dealer wrote the car serial number in starting with XS29. This was because the dealers assumed the cars were same as Charger RT. It is not like early 69 Charger 500's that had XS29 and the later were XX29.

Based on this were the cars retagged and serialed? Also remember in 1969 that A12 cars had a M in serial number but this did not match on fendertag.

So were cars already selected?

6bblgt

specs of each car were determined well before the assembly plant started building them - Daytonas included

hemigeno

Quote from: winged69 on December 28, 2018, 11:09:16 AM
Based on this were the cars retagged and serialed? Also remember in 1969 that A12 cars had a M in serial number but this did not match on fendertag.

So were cars already selected?

Yes, cars were still selected or earmarked and purpose-built as a Daytona as mentioned earlier.

I do know for a fact that at least some cars were issued a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) by Chrysler with XS29 rather than XX29.  The Dressler Motors Daytona is an example of a car whose original MSO still existed (at least as of a few years ago), and it read XS29L9B356530.  While searching for title history documentation for my own Daytona, we came up empty looking for its XX29 VIN.  We had to search Missouri's title archives for XS29, and only then did we hit on its history.  Until I had it changed, it was always titled as XS29, even though the VIN, Fender Tag and Broadcast Sheet all showed XX29.  This idiosyncrasy was almost certainly a result of that car's original MSO being printed as XS29 rather than the correct XX29, just like the Dressler Motors car.  I won't go so far as to say that all Daytona MSO's were incorrectly typed (since we don't have access to those kinds of records to prove or disprove such a claim).  I think I can say with certainty that all of the Daytonas shipped to Missouri had MSO's with XS29, based on the state's historical title records.  We can only speculate as to why Chrysler did that, but it is a documented anomaly.  That anomaly may have contributed to the Aerocar legend about R/T's being "pulled off the line" for conversion into a Daytona.  They were not re-tagged or re-serialized, apart from the aforementioned 287970 - which does bear a replacement XX29 VIN tag but is still wearing its original Charger R/T XS29 Fender Tag (the Broadcast Sheet says XS29 also, in case you were wondering).  I'm not aware of any other exceptions to this, but I also haven't seen 'em all either... 

Just to make the water a bit more muddy, there is one Daytona which has XP29 mis-stamped on the VIN tag.  That is not an example of a car being "pulled off the line" - it's clearly a factory mistake on the VIN tag (which did happen), since it's a legit Daytona in every other respect including the Fender Tag / VON.

If the link still works, here's a pic of the Dressler Motors MSO:

hemigeno

Courtesy of Barry Washington's hamtramck-historical.com website, here is a link to the factory bulletin which announced the Daytona's availability (and yes, we know there are Daytonas with Sales Code M25 Sill Moulding and L31 Turn Signals):

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/_1969-Dodge-PIB-01.shtml?load_img=21

nascarxx29

1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29