News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Additive?

Started by Captain D, December 18, 2018, 01:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi gents,

If this was topic was in another post already, I apologize. But, just curious what folks here feel is the best additive to combat ethanol, produce quicker start-ups, store gas during these winter months, protect seals, & help clean carburetors / injectors:

- Star Tron,
- Stabill,
- Lucas products,
- Mechanic in a Bottle.

Of course, I'm sure there are others out there. In my 69' Charger, I've always ran the Star Tron without any issues whatsoever (I've got fuel injection, so no lead additive due to the 02 sensor). I've heard good / mediocre things about the 'Mechanic in a Bottle' & how, supposedly, it's better than the Star Tron. Any thoughts on that claim?

I should say that w/ my personal experience with the Star Tron, it has always kept everything very clean (my old carburetor was dang near 'like new' when I sold it). A buddy of mine, however, went through two carburetors due to the ethanol before using Star Tron & we won't run our old cars without it. But, is the "Mechanic in a Bottle' really better than the Star Tron...?

Thanks for any replies!

Mopar Nut

You might look for ethanol free gas at certain gas stations, we have several around here.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

c00nhunterjoe

Lucas has good stuff. Use it in the nova, lawnmowers, and weedeaters. Store the tank either completely empty, or completely full. For the mowers i run them dry, the nova gets topped off so as little oxygen as possible is inside the tank.

Captain D

Thanks guys for some feedback,

Yeah, the 'Mechanic in a Bottle' (based on what I've read so far from various reviews) doesn't seem worth replacing either the Lucas or Star Tron with. One such review, for example, summed it up with:

http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/

"Enzyme Star Tron Fuel Treatment is our top pick because it not only cures, but it also prevents many of the problems with ethanol fuel.  It removes carbon deposits, keeps your injectors clean and water including the phase separation. It can rejuvenate old fuel by restoring the octane.  It is also a popular choice because it is one of the longest lasting stabilizers, lasing for up to two years.  This makes it perfect for the vehicle that you might not drive all that often, but you pull it out for special occasions. It is safe to use in all engines – including 2 stroke and four stroke.  Of course this also makes it a great choice for garden tools, motor cycles, boats – anything that you don't use that often, or that can go for months without being started.  It makes engine starts easy, improves fuel economy, and reduces emissions.If you are using it with small engine items such as garden tools then add the Star Tron to the can.  One bottle treats about three tanks of fuel and given the quality of this treatment it's well worth stocking up on."

I gather that the Lucas is ideal for use in daily drivers, but the the Star Tron for weekend or seasonal use. But, to each his own and they're all better than nothing at all, lol,  ;) :icon_smile_cool:.

c00nhunterjoe

The lucas is readily available at all parts stores and walmarts in our area. Been using it in the nova that sits dormant all winter with no carb issues.

lukedukem

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 19, 2018, 07:29:32 AM
The lucas is readily available at all parts stores and walmarts in our area. Been using it in the nova that sits dormant all winter with no carb issues.

This is good to know. I just rebuilt the olds 455 for my jet boat and since it will sit for the winter, I'll be adding this stuff

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

chargerbr549

c00nhunterjoe

Seafoam is not a storage conditioner.