News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you use to clean rubber before installation&

Started by 66FBCharger, April 06, 2020, 01:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I need to clean up some rubber parts (body plugs) before I install them. What would you use to clean the dirt, road grime etc. off the rubber?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

green69rt

For rubber parts I used a powder cleanser like Ajax or Comet and a scrub brush.  It would also probably work on body plugs.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Lilcricket440

The best thing I have ever found for pretty much restoring old used rubbers is this....
Get a couple of tubes of dielectric grease... coat one side of the rubber and lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours then flip it over and do the other side the same way.... then I get a bucket of dawn soap water, wash rag and an s.o.s pad (SOS for grimy crap) and it will clean right up and recondition the rubbers so they install back easier and they won't bust up or crack...
I've done this on several old cars we've restored that the rubbers aren't repopped on... they look better than new ones

66FBCharger

Quote from: Lilcricket440 on April 27, 2020, 07:43:39 PM
The best thing I have ever found for pretty much restoring old used rubbers is this....
Get a couple of tubes of dielectric grease... coat one side of the rubber and lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours then flip it over and do the other side the same way.... then I get a bucket of dawn soap water, wash rag and an s.o.s pad (SOS for grimy crap) and it will clean right up and recondition the rubbers so they install back easier and they won't bust up or crack...
I've done this on several old cars we've restored that the rubbers aren't repopped on... they look better than new ones

I'll have to try that! Thanks!

greycharger