News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dakota digital dash guages

Started by frank1966, January 04, 2019, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

They only work when the key is in acc and when starting, shut off when in run? Once in a while after 10 min or so idling they all pop on! Moved around grounds, should I ground straight to batt?

green69rt

Do other things work in the "RUN" position such as radio?  If not then maybe it's the ignition switch.   Sounds like you have some serious trouble shooting ahead.  :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

Sounds like the ACC circuit in the switch is intermittent. IIRC the control box gets its "turn on" power from the ACC circuit which should remain on in RUN.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 05, 2019, 03:49:24 PM
Sounds like the ACC circuit in the switch is intermittent. IIRC the control box gets its "turn on" power from the ACC circuit which should remain on in RUN.

Right.  There are two power supplies to the ECU.  Constant power, essentially a battery feed; ACC power, on when the ingnition switch is in ACC or RUN.  The battery feed keeps the ECU powered up and powers the instruments.  It looks to me that the only thing the ACC power does is act as a trigger so the battery power will go to the instruments so that they can read.  Not sure about this because the manual that comes with the cluster doesn't say.  What it does say  is

"In addition to turning on the display system, this is also where the voltmeter gauge senses the vehicle electrical system voltage."

Probably TMI for the OP.  But I  would agree, ignition switch problem.

frank1966

Thanks for the responses, I do think the problem is coming from my ACC feed or ign switch wiring. What iam not sure about is I have ign 1 and ign 2 feeds from my repro ign switch harness, not sure how to wire 2 ign feeds. I have a Ron Francis fuse box, msd ign, one wire power master alt so iam not using ign 2 feed? Maybe I need a different ACC feed?

frank1966

Also while in run LED on cpu blinks red, a slow blink

green69rt

Quote from: frank1966 on January 09, 2019, 08:00:37 AM
Slow blink (2 per second) is "OK", quick blink every four seconds means ECU indicates in standby. Steady light means low power (voltage), off is "loss of power" or loss of ground.

With key out of ignition, ECU should have a quick blink every 4 seconds. If no blink then "Const" power is down.
Turn key to run or ACC, ECU should blink steady at 2/sec.  If no steady blink (still once per 4 seconds) then ACC power is down.  IF steady blink then I would look at the data cable from ECU to cluster.  Plugged in correctly??

frank1966

Thanks for that, the number of blinks are different when in ACC and RUn, I cant remember though. I will check, I checked the cable so many times, I don't think I can plug it in the wrong way? I don't see any tears. Can I use any data cable to see if it is the cable?

green69rt

Quote from: frank1966 on January 09, 2019, 09:24:15 AM
Thanks for that, the number of blinks are different when in ACC and RUn, I cant remember though. I will check, I checked the cable so many times, I don't think I can plug it in the wrong way? I don't see any tears. Can I use any data cable to see if it is the cable?

Just make sure the cable is seated all the way, it needs to "click" into place.
According to the manual....

***If you are purchasing a longer network cable to connect the display system to the
control box please make sure to get a CAT 5, CAT5E, or CAT6 "patch cable" and NOT a
"cross over" cable.

frank1966

Quote from: green69rt on January 09, 2019, 08:32:21 AM
Slow blink (2 per second) is "OK", quick blink every four seconds means ECU indicates in standby. Steady light means low power (voltage), off is "loss of power" or loss of ground.

With key out of ignition, ECU should have a quick blink every 4 seconds. If no blink then "Const" power is down.
Turn key to run or ACC, ECU should blink steady at 2/sec.  If no steady blink (still once per 4 seconds) then ACC power is down.  IF steady blink then I would look at the data cable from ECU to cluster.  Plugged in correctly??

I checked tonight, Steady 2/sec when key is in ACC, 4-5sec blink when key is in RUN. Sounds like iam using the wrong feed from ROn Francis fuse box? Iam using a feed called GAUGES - 5AMP and listed as an accessory feed - not a BATT or Ignition feed.

green69rt

Quote from: frank1966 on January 13, 2019, 09:39:27 PM
Quote from: green69rt on January 09, 2019, 08:32:21 AM

I checked tonight, Steady 2/sec when key is in ACC, 4-5sec blink when key is in RUN. Sounds like iam using the wrong feed from ROn Francis fuse box? Iam using a feed called GAUGES - 5AMP and listed as an accessory feed - not a BATT or Ignition feed.

Yeap, sounds like you found the problem.  Now why did the gauges come on after some seconds?  Sounds like a bad connection on that line.  I think you are back to a bad ignition switch.

frank1966

So that Guage feed should be correct. I did buy an aftermarket ignition switch. Should I just buy another or is there a way to rewire to test if it is in fact the ignition switch