News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No fuel getting to my carb

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, January 06, 2019, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

With the fill tube in front the tank can trap air if the car is jacked up in rear or nose down up front. Not a factor for OP's issue. Is this carb. insulated from intake? I just can't see having to constantly shoot fuel to start any carb. motor, something is being overlooked.  :shruggy:

green69rt

You mentioned the vapor separation canister.  Have you changed it recently?  There was a time (years ago) when these things were not being made correctly.  The return nozzle in the canister is supposed to have a restriction orifice in it.  Something like a 0.050 orifice.  A while back someone was making them with no orifice!  It would starve a carb for gas because most of the fuel was being returned to the tank, especially at low RPM.  A simple test would be to run a hose from the return line into a gas can and run the engine.  A big flow of gas may mean the orifice is missing.  It should only trickle out.  This might also give some indication if you fuel pump is weak.

doctor4766

Just pull the rod. It'll take you 10 minutes to establish whether that's the problem.
Gotta love a '69

cdr

Quote from: b5blue on January 09, 2019, 02:43:19 PM
 With the fill tube in front the tank can trap air if the car is jacked up in rear or nose down up front. Not a factor for OP's issue. Is this carb. insulated from intake? I just can't see having to constantly shoot fuel to start any carb. motor, something is being overlooked.  :shruggy:

I said that is not related to his problem, BUT he mentioned about filling up the tank problem, the cure is to drill a 1/4 hole into the filler tube, on the top side of it just to the inside of the fill tube sealing ring at the fuel tank, it solves filling issues & puking fuel out the cap & vent when the fuel in the tank get warm & expands. Mark the rubber seal location on the filler tube, remove tube, figure in the thickness of the rubber seal & drill the hole in the top side of tube as close to the sealing area that the rubber seal seals against.

He still needs to check the vent, what would happen if the tank had a vacuum on it sitting overnight :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Ive yet to see a worn pushrod cause fuel to exit the carb when it sits for extended periods of time.

BSB67

Agreed, but her could have two things going on.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

flyinlow

After driving pop the hood and put a window fan or two near the car to cool the carb/intake/engine as fast as possible. This should help post drive evaporation. See how it starts later.  :shruggy:

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: cdr on January 09, 2019, 12:33:09 PM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on January 09, 2019, 11:44:14 AM
Quote from: cdr on January 08, 2019, 03:34:49 PM
Check the vent to make sure the tank IS venting

What is a good way to do this? When I fill up my tank I can only get about 12 gallons in the tank I am assuming due to a trapped air bubble. I had this same problem with my boat and stuck an air hose in the tank and blew air in the tank which worked. I tried the same thing in my Charger tank and really not sure it worked. So what should I do to confirm my tank is vented?

The little steel line that hooks to the filler neck inside the trunk, make sure it is not plugged up, but where that vent is would not affect filling up the tank, that is another issue. I do have a fix for that.

Checked this today and it is not plugged up.

Sixt8Chrgr

Rain here again tomorrow, so can't do much...unfortunately.

Sixt8Chrgr

Changed the fuel pump push rod, problem solved.

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

c00nhunterjoe

Was the old one worn down? Im still not following how a fuel pump pushrod is causing a carb to lose its prime and not run until primed but then runs great afterwords. Still thinking there is more then 1 concern going on here.

Edited: i see the other post where the rod was worn. Still doesnt explain the hard start you are still having. May have other concerns still.

doctor4766

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 18, 2019, 11:51:01 PM
Was the old one worn down? Im still not following how a fuel pump pushrod is causing a carb to lose its prime and not run until primed but then runs great afterwords. Still thinking there is more then 1 concern going on here.

Edited: i see the other post where the rod was worn. Still doesnt explain the hard start you are still having. May have other concerns still.
Lack of fuel pressure to top up the bowl as he's idling into his parking location?

I know when my rod failed I had to keep the revs up or the car would starve of fuel and stall.
Was ok once I hit the freeway but it didn't take long once I was off that that the car was starting to splutter
Gotta love a '69

Sixt8Chrgr

The check valve in the accelerator bore may be leaking? I tore the carb apart and checked the valve and it seemed to be ok? I agree. Seems like the carb should have fuel in the bore for a few days after the car is sitting. I am going to check it out today and see if it will fire up easier than it did yesterday. Yesterday, it turned over more than what it should had before firing. Like it had to get fuel pumped up to the carb.

I still wonder if the vapor separator is faulty?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: doctor4766 on February 19, 2019, 12:29:24 AM

Lack of fuel pressure to top up the bowl as he's idling into his parking location?

I know when my rod failed I had to keep the revs up or the car would starve of fuel and stall.
Was ok once I hit the freeway but it didn't take long once I was off that that the car was starting to splutter

He said it runs great once he dumped gas in the carb to get it started cold in the morning and had no other fuel issues until it sat overnight.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 19, 2019, 07:09:11 AM

The check valve in the accelerator bore may be leaking? I tore the carb apart and checked the valve and it seemed to be ok? I agree. Seems like the carb should have fuel in the bore for a few days after the car is sitting. I am going to check it out today and see if it will fire up easier than it did yesterday. Yesterday, it turned over more than what it should had before firing. Like it had to get fuel pumped up to the carb.

Its not uncommon for the fuel to evaporate quicker with the ethanol blends, but you may still have a boiling issue on top of that.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 19, 2019, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 19, 2019, 07:09:11 AM

Its not uncommon for the fuel to evaporate quicker with the ethanol blends, but you may still have a boiling issue on top of that.

I don't burn Ethanol

c00nhunterjoe

You have 100% ethanol free fuel in your area? Lucky you. Lol. Best i can get is the 10% blends here. Does not effect any of my street cars though. A simple jet adjustment when it 1st came out and ive been good to go.

Sixt8Chrgr

Yes we have ethanol free fuel. We use to have 93 octane ethanol free, but now the best we can get is 90 octane.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 27, 2019, 08:37:20 PM
Yes we have ethanol free fuel. We use to have 93 octane ethanol free, but now the best we can get is 90 octane.

Still better then most. Im not aware of any 93 ethanol free in my area. I just rejetted our cars to accomadate it and went on my merry way.

Sixt8Chrgr

I was running ethanol for several years and about a year ago changed over to non ethanol but giving up at least 3 points of octane. May be imagination, but seems my cars run a ton better on non ethanol. The fast idle chokes work better for sure. Now I have not changed the jets. Not sure whether to go up or down?

alfaitalia

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 28, 2019, 09:06:06 AM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 27, 2019, 08:37:20 PM

Still better then most. Im not aware of any 93 ethanol free in my area. I just rejetted our cars to accomadate it and went on my merry way.

Luckily we don't have to worry about that.....yet. We have about 5% on 95 octane fuels....and none at all in 97 and up fuel. Don't forget our ratings are different to yours...we don't use rocket fuel!! Our 95 is about the same as your 90 or 91 and our 97 is about 92 or 93 on your scales. Both commonly available. Shell and others regularly stock 99 or even 100 (about 94 US rating).....only any use if you have a car that can take advantage of it though....otherwise you are literally burning money!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Q5XX29

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 18, 2019, 07:35:03 PM
Changed the fuel pump push rod, problem solved.

How much was your fuel pump pushrod worn down? I've been having a similar issue with what seems like weak fuel pressure causing a weak pressurization of the fuel system until I get it running, and then its OK, for BOTH my Daytona and my 1970 Charger 500. I just pulled the fuel pump pushrod out, and it measured at 3.06", and I see that it should be 3.22".  That is quite a measurable, visible shortage, but is that enough wear to cause THAT much of a problem? I hope so- easy and cheap fix!

Also, what brand of fuel pump pushrod are people using with success?

dakota_gt on Instagram

XH29N0G

I replaced a faulty one with a Comp Cams PN 4626 about 3000 miles ago.  So far so good.  I never had to replace the original one.  The one I replaced was after a rebuild.  I do not know if there are specific brands that are better or worse.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....