News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column shat to gear box

Started by frank1966, January 07, 2019, 08:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

Why is it so hard to slide the shat onto to gear box? Can I replace that end link?

70 sublime

Think there is only one way for it to go on
One of the teeth are double wide like putting steering wheel on
Are you sure you have it lined up ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

frank1966

Oh thanks, I will look I thought all the teeth were the same size all around

green69rt

Look at reply #3.  It has a picture of the coupling orientation.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,133398.msg1656324.html#msg1656324

On the steering box, the input shaft has a index tooth.  That's where one tooth may be missing.  It matches the index mark on the coupling.  Everything has to be lined up, from the steering wheel end down to the box or you could end up with the steering wheel upside down.

Alaskan_TA

frank1966

I found the marks, lined it up, now I cannot reach that second spline closest to the box. I cleared the first one no problem, it looks it it does not reach! Ive pushing the column as much as possible, not moving. Should the column be flush against the firewall where it bolt up? Mine seems to be out about 1/2 inch?

Is it easy to just replace that link with an aftermarket? It looks impossible to slide off the original one though

BLK 68 R/T

Try pushing the coupler itself onto the box. Column plate should sit flat against the firewall, I think you can move it if you loosen the 2  bolts on the plate?

birdsandbees

You don't already have the roll pin in the coupler.. do you....  :shruggy:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Dino

First of all, the steering column cage is still straight right? Is the firewall plate moved up the steering column as far as it can go? If not you can loosen the 2 bolts on top of it and move that piece up. That should give you plenty room to slide it on.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on January 13, 2019, 10:06:38 PM
Try pushing the coupler itself onto the box. Column plate should sit flat against the firewall, I think you can move it if you loosen the 2  bolts on the plate?

Did you ever get it on?  Just so you know...there is a hole in the column shaft call a "Gage hole".  The distance from that hole to the top of the coupling should be 13/16" or even more.  You can just tap the coupling down the shaft with a pair of pliers (don't hammer it!), I had to tap mine down about 1/2" to get my coupling to mate and get the pin in.