News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone replaced cracked glass on their phone?

Started by b5blue, January 09, 2019, 07:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I had no time to try fixing before but I'm retired now. (Moto E4 Plus) I see getting glass and screen off frame is tricky after loosing tiny ribbon connectors. However I found for 10.00 more you can get a frame also. Just wondering as many here are kinda DIY oriented.  :shruggy:

Todd Wilson

I did on an Iphone 4 a few years ago. It was a slow tedious process. I watched a youtube video on how to do it, Had to order a extra small tool kit to do it. There were tons of screws and sections and parts and pieces that had to come out. Had to keep stuff in order and putting it back together was still tough, Changing the glass wasn't a big deal but getting to it and putting it all back together was slow and time consuming.

Todd

green69rt

I thought about repairing my IPAD when I dropped it and cracked the glass.  Then I thought "I have better things to spend my time on".  I just googled "IPAD repair" and about 20 places came up that are near me.   Took it in that morning and got it back after lunch.  $90.

Troy

I *can* do it. The "U Break I fix" place up the street is faster and reasonably priced.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

doctor4766

I dare say the biggest obstacle that we, as aging folks face is getting our eyesight to cope with such small parts  :o
Gotta love a '69

b5blue

I checked the fix it guys, they want 100 to fix a 120 phone.  :scratchchin:  I've several magnifiers, a 5"x7", a visor with several powers and a light plus this endoscope that turns my laptop into "micro-vision-O-rama". (18.00 off Amazon.) The "cheat" looks to be to get the frame assembly with glass included, about 45.00. Then your swapping components.  All of this gets the cracked screen phone saved for parts.

Troy

So, you're going to spend $45 on parts and a bunch of time on a $120 phone? When I had them work on mine it was a month old $850 phone. That same phone just died (battery) but now it's 3 years and 4 months old. As parts supplies dry up things get more expensive so I was able to replace the phone with a newer/better/faster model for about what it would cost to make the old one work again. Your situation is just on the edge of cost/benefit - except I can't NOT have a phone these days and I'd have bought a replacement in the time it took you to look up parts and start this thread. It's honestly easier to go without a car for a few days than a phone (I work in IT). In the past I have fixed cracked screens (that still worked), frames, covers, and cameras.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.