News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you address keeping track of mods/changes to your cars?

Started by b5blue, January 09, 2019, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

For future repairs I've mostly stuck tight to FSM as possible. I've a few "supplements" in added notebooks with the FSM, the Mopar 11 3/4 disk brakes, Classic Auto Air A/C system, ProForm 750 and added wiper delay cover most changes. With some doing many non factory changes how are you keeping track or documenting for possible service? 

metallicareload99

Quote from: b5blue on January 09, 2019, 07:38:59 PM
  For future repairs I've mostly stuck tight to FSM as possible. I've a few "supplements" in added notebooks with the FSM, the Mopar 11 3/4 disk brakes, Classic Auto Air A/C system, ProForm 750 and added wiper delay cover most changes. With some doing many non factory changes how are you keeping track or documenting for possible service? 

That's a good question?  I have a expanding file folder that has most papers in it or memory is mainly what I go on right now:

-13" Front disc brakes, corvette rotors with Viper pads?
-11" rear disc Ford "Cobra" pads and calipers, who knows what rotors
-Strange Dana 60
-A833 replaced the A727, which replaced a three on the tree
-Fuel injected 1976+ smog 440 with headers and MSD ignition box
-130 amp alternator
-Parts store Dakota starter
-In tank electric fuel pump
-Tractor trailer turn signal switch
-Universal headlight switch

Those are the main ones that can't really be replaced by going with factory parts
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Gold Rush

I have two three ring binders with everything I've done documented.  Some photos included if I thought diagrams and words were not enough.  Some day hopefully one of my grandchildren will own my '74 SE.  They will need all the help I can give them keeping it going.   :laugh:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

John_Kunkel

Every time I get a new (to me) vehicle I open a dedicated folder with all the info on it i.e. running costs and all mods/replacement parts with the applicable part number and date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

I need to do this the way you guys do.  Thanks for posting.  Its a reality check for some like me.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

303 Mopar

A separate folder on my computer with all documentation for each car, but I also have all paper receipts with notes as backup.  This will go with the car.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Dino

I type it out in a Word document and add electrical diagrams to it when I change something. I've had to go back and look at it a few times because I forgot how or why I had done something!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

when I first got my charger crikey just realised 30 years ago in three months time  :o , I use to write everything down, if I altered any wiring  draw pictures etc .  when I done a nut & bolt resto , now keep everything in head ,  recently realise not writing & keeping notes was a bad idea , especially the alerations I made to the stock H&M harnesses, charging , ignition circuits  etc   can not remember exactly  , with out going to have a look & then would remember !  then think  oh that's good idea, yeah  I remember  doing that now    ;)  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

I hear ya. My motto is mostly stick to stock, stay with MOPAR. At one point I used many pics to guide changes and work done but an unbacked up computer crash wiped that out. Some cars here have so many mods and others buy cars that they know nothing about it got me wondering. My car is part of the family so much my kids have offered help with it if needed, they know it will end up with them anyway.

Ghoste

I keep a journal in the car.  I also have a small cabinet in the garage devoted to paperwork on the car and it contains notes and manuals and so forth.  There is a file folder in my office for actual receipts and paperwork solely dedicated to my car and then I keep a kind of abridged version of things on the laptop.

Challenger340

File Folder with invoices from past history, list tabulated with what has been changed vrs rest is still original(very short list because everything else is still original)
Only wimps wear Bowties !

TexasStroker

I keep spreadsheets on the PC and paperwork in one of the slim drawers on a tool box.  However, that slim drawer became a bit to full a few years ago so I moved some of the stuff to the $9.99 plastic Sterlite file boxes.  I need to get some of the dividers...it is a pretty simple, but effective solution for "in hand" paperwork, manuals, and notes.

I had problems last year where I'd be on a new computer and realize the information I wanted was on an old hard driver etc.  So, I started using Google Docs/Spreadsheets...this way everything is always available via my phone and any PC.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!