News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can a 2 speed wiper motor interchange with a 3 speed??

Started by garner7555, December 31, 2018, 07:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Can I swap a 2 speed wiper motor onto my car in place of the 3 speed motor that it currently has?  It looks like some people say the linkage is different but I would have thought that the linkage would all be the same??  Does anyone know what it takes to swap from one to the other?   Thanks, Clark.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Lennard

To change from a 2 speed to 3 speed wiper motor, you will need a 3 speed wiper motor, different crank arm (part #2822273), bushing (part #2580200) and a 3 speed switch (part #2864014).

The wiper mechanism is the same for both.  

INTMD8

I'm curious why you want to go from 3 speed to 2 speed?

If that is correct I have a nice 2 speed setup to trade you  :icon_smile_big:
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Lennard

Quote from: INTMD8 on December 31, 2018, 10:12:36 PM
:icon_smile_big:
I guess I read his question wrong.

INTMD8

Quote from: Lennard on December 31, 2018, 11:05:49 PM
:icon_smile_big:
I think you need to read his question again.  :scratchchin:

Ok, what am I missing?

Quote from: garner7555 on December 31, 2018, 07:17:20 PM
Can I swap a 2 speed wiper motor onto my car in place of the 3 speed motor that it currently has? 

Lennard

INTMD8

garner7555

If that is correct I have a nice 2 speed setup to trade you  :icon_smile_big:
I will try to explain my line of thinking...
1.  My car is far from stock so it doesn't matter if I put the wiper motor back as original.
2.  I am re-assembling the car in a rush to get it to a show in February, and the 2 speed motors are very plentiful and easy to find.
3.  To get one of the 3 speed motors I currently have rebuilt is going to take extra time and a lot of extra money ($300-500) compared to a 2 speed ($60)
4.  The car will never be intentionally driven in the rain, so a 3 speed vs 2 speed isn't really beneficial.

The only real con to putting a 2 speed motor seems to be that it doesn't look as cool when the hood is up.     :shruggy:

If a 3 speed was available somewhere that I could buy it and just send them my core then I would probably just keep the 3 speed setup.   I still haven't decided for sure but I have to do something fairly soon.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

INTMD8

Gotcha.

Well if you are in need of a 2 speed I have one available.  You would need nothing else to put it in place of your 3 speed.

EDIT- I take that back, you would need a 2 speed switch as well. (I think)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,134326.0.html

garner7555

I think you are correct, I think the switch is different.  I may just stick with the 3 speed that still works for now.   :shruggy:      I wish I had seen your for sale post earlier, I have recently bought a couple of those items. 

Thanks everyone for chiming in.     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

green69rt

Wait, if you need a different crank arm to go to 3 from two wouldn't you need a 2 sp crank arm/bushing to go to two speed from three?   Aren't the output shafts different on the two motors?

70 sublime

Quote from: green69rt on January 03, 2019, 09:24:55 AM
Wait, if you need a different crank arm to go to 3 from two wouldn't you need a 2 sp crank arm/bushing to go to two speed from three?   Aren't the output shafts different on the two motors?

I think if you had a two speed and a three speed crank arm side by side the little half square half round hole to mount on motor is at a different angle

As in if you use the wrong one the wiper will not stop at the bottom of the glass where you want it to
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nacho-RT74

as mentioned... crank, motor and switch. wiring is the same, HOWEVER 2 speeds gets a separated harness from the motor, where 3 speeds got it attached, SOOOOO if wish to get 2 speed motors where you had 3 speeds, will need the harness. ANY YEAR AND MODEL harness will work, since you should have your 3 speeds motor with the harness and plug, is just about change the plug to bulkhead if needed to match.

for example:

this is 70 and lates E and B bodies ( but 70 B )... the only diff is the plug to bulkhead, but you can reinstall your 3 speeds one there if you get an used cheap harness

correct harnesses are available new thought! and also used. Is just if you get a dirty one cheap around

concelead wipers are a bit more complicated, but still doable ( I did it, from 2 to variable speed )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mopar Nut

Some air cleaners will not work with 2 speed motors.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Nacho-RT74

SixPack and Hemi cars.... And Rammed hoods but everything up to 70... 71s and lates got wiper motors on diff location and got room for them
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasGeneral

wish I had a swaybar but I knew better..
This is for a 2 speed

Lennard