News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking For My Long Lost '68 Coronet R/T

Started by mr. hemi, January 15, 2019, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. hemi

Thought I would give this a shot. Everyone on this forum seems very willing to help and there seems to be quite a few Canadians on here as well. If anyone can put me in touch with the owner of my old car, or shed some light on what became of it, I would much appreciate it. I sold the car in the London Ontario area in 1984. I saw it once after in about 1987 at St. Thomas Dragway, probably on Mopar day. I tried to speak with the owner (not the same person I sold it to), but he seemed uninterested in the history of the car or did not believe me.

The car has a rather unusual competition history, albeit brief, that I would like to communicate to the current owner if the R/T is still around. That would be my first goal, second would be to possibly purchase the car back.

The vehicle: 1968 Coronet R/T, 440 4spd., 3:54 Dana, dark green (don't remember the paint code), green interior, buckets, no console or buddy seat. Not numbers matching.

VIN: WS23L8G148986

Photo is circa 1983.

If I cannot get in touch with the current owner in a reasonable time, I will share the history of the car and some additional photos on the forum. But i would like to talk to the owner first if possible.

PM me any info.

Cheers,

mrhemi.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

73rallye440magnum

Beautiful car. My second favorite! Good luck!
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

TiMopar

I think I have some pictures of that car that I took back in the 80's at the Canadian Nats. 4-speed with aftermarket gauges in the dash? I will dig them out and post. I remember hearing a story about it, but will let you tell that Mr.Hemi. Loved the car btw... I also seem to remember your Hemi Charger and have some pictures of it also ( Red interior? ).

mr. hemi

Quote from: TiMopar on January 16, 2019, 08:19:11 AM
I think I have some pictures of that car that I took back in the 80's at the Canadian Nats. 4-speed with aftermarket gauges in the dash? I will dig them out and post. I remember hearing a story about it, but will let you tell that Mr.Hemi. Loved the car btw... I also seem to remember your Hemi Charger and have some pictures of it also ( Red interior? ).

Right on both counts. I still have my Charger R/T, red on red. Post any pictures you can dig up for sure.

Cheers
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Definitely an Old Timer

Mike:

I think you might be able to go to the MTO and do a VIN search.  Have you tried that

mr. hemi

In this day and age of "identity theft" and "privacy laws" the MTO get right snarly about doing that. The last time I requested a "$20 sales kit" I had to sign a bunch of papers and lie to them. Now, if I had a cop buddy, he could CPIC the VIN.

TiMopar

Mike, I have found four photos of your old Coronet and two of your Charger from the 91 Nats. I'm sorry, I thought they were from the 80's because I was over a couple of times then. I will get them scanned and posted as soon as possible...

mr. hemi

TiMopar

TiMopar

TiMopar

TiMopar

As you can tell, this was my favourite car at this meet. I had bought a 69 R/T F8 4-Speed car at the '84 Nats in Indianapolis, which I still own today...

TiMopar

TiMopar

TiMopar

A few bonus shots of other cars that I liked.... never seen a silver AAR before...

TiMopar

TiMopar

TiMopar

TiMopar

mr. hemi

Great  seeing those old photos, thanks for posting. They are at two different venues though. The shots where the cars are on grass, which include my Charger R/T are at St. Thomas Dragway, which was the last and only time I saw my '68 R/T since I sold it. The other set of photos on pavement, I do not recognize the location, do you recall where that was? Funny, I still have that grey wash bucket in the shop. Glad you like the R/T and I see you got a good photo of the dash. The amount of work that went into it was substantial! I would like to see some photos of yours if possible. If I have no luck locating the current owner of my old R/T I will post the history of the car while in my care. Stay tuned.

TiMopar

Pleased you like them Mike. Dave S is convinced he can track the car from the VIN, so we'll see! I look forward to hearing the full story of your old R/T. I resized your original picture with less scenery... best regards, Tim.

mr. hemi

I have to visit the MTO office in the next couple of weeks to part with a not so small amount of my coin for yearly license plate stickers. I will see if they will demonstrate pity "while they have me bent over the counter" and run the VIN for me. Stay tuned.

mr. hemi

Update: Had some success at the MTO office today. My old R/T VIN is still on the Ontario registry and I was able to get a "Sales Kit" which shows the owner trail. It seemed to help with the MTO office that I am actually the first registered owner in Ontario and provided the 1983 import papers when I brought the car into Canada.

The search begins!