News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hoosier Pro Street Tires O.E.M Chrysler Rims

Started by greenhaze20, January 20, 2019, 09:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenhaze20

Trying to figure out rims and backspacing. I am going with Wheel Vintiques steel oem Rims. The car is a 1968 Dodge Charger.

Front tire- Hoosier (27x10.50r-15) OR (28x9.50r-15) I am not sure which tire to go with yet.
Stock rim has a 3.5inch Backspacing
Might use a 15x8-4.5-4.5" Backspace. This is the only size they have to order. I might need to place a custom backspace order because i need the tire further away from the frame.

Rear tire- Hoosier 29x15.50Rx15
Stock rim has a 3.5inch Backspacing
Might use a 15x10-5x4.5-5.5" Backspace

I have an IFS inginuity Fab and Speed Tool to figure out backspacing and rim size. Still haven't figured out the perfect combination. If anyone has any input.

Thanks,
Greenhaze20

c00nhunterjoe

Im assuming the car is heavily modified to fit that size tires under it? A 15 inch tire on a 10 inch rim is not a good idea.

greenhaze20

Yes, car been modified to fit that size tire. Hoosier says that tire should go on a rim from 11 to 14 inches but American vintiques doesn't seem to have a wider rim.

c00nhunterjoe

A 13.5 on a 10 inch rim is not a good fit, let alone a 15. If you are running a 10 inch rim, i would run a 10 inch tire.

303 Mopar

FWIW - I ran 30x12s on a 15x10 rim with 4.5" bs with 1/2" spacers and they rubbed on the inner fender.  I'm now running 28x12 and plenty of clearance. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 21, 2019, 08:37:59 PM
FWIW - I ran 30x12s on a 15x10 rim with 4.5" bs with 1/2" spacers and they rubbed on the inner fender.  I'm now running 28x12 and plenty of clearance. 

He said the tubs are modifed for any of the sizes, so my main concern is the wheel to tire width difference. If you have gone to the trouble to tub the car, why run such a small wheel?

garner7555

I have to agree that a 15" wide tire isn't going to be a good idea to mount on a 10" wide wheel.   You may have to look into a different wheel, or custom order a 14" wide wheel from Wheel Vintiques if you are stuck on that wheel.   :Twocents:

Have a look through this thread, it has tons of wheel and tire combinations with backspace listed.  This thread can be a huge help.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63191.475.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

greenhaze20

I would rather go with a 12 inch wide rim but it looks like wheel vintiques only carries the 63 Chrysler standard looking wheel up to a 10 inch wide. I have called and asked if i could custom order a 12 wide but they said the biggest they cary is a 10. They have a 12 inch wide rim but it is a smoothie that has no openings and doesn't look like the 63 Chrysler.

c00nhunterjoe

That style is nothing special. Any wheel manufacture can widen a steelie to your specs.

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

c00nhunterjoe

Just have them made. Here is an example of the core, then need your desired design welded in at your specified location.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/15-Inch-Wheel-Shell-15-x-14,28402.html

greenhaze20

Just called up Stocton wheel and they could make a stock oem rim with backspacng from 2 1/2 to 10. I figured out over the weekend that i will need a 9 inch backspace leaving 3 inches on the front side of the rim to fit the hoosier 29x15.50.15 tires on a 12 inch wide rim. Also the leaf springs will need to be removed and frame rail width shortened AKA art morrison max G chassis with a ford F9 and 4 bar set up.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: greenhaze20 on January 27, 2019, 02:11:32 PM
Just called up Stocton wheel and they could make a stock oem rim with backspacng from 2 1/2 to 10. I figured out over the weekend that i will need a 9 inch backspace leaving 3 inches on the front side of the rim to fit the hoosier 29x15.50.15 tires on a 12 inch wide rim. Also the leaf springs will need to be removed and frame rail width shortened AKA art morrison max G chassis with a ford F9 and 4 bar set up.

You said the car was already modified to clear that tire size?

greenhaze20

yes i did because i have the bigger wheel wells coved along with the frame and wanted the thread to be more about the Rims and backspace needed then Tubbing the car.

c00nhunterjoe

Im not following. The wheel tubs are stock or modified? That is a crucial piece of information for wheel sizes and offsets. If its getting tubbed then the rear will get cut and narrowed which changes the wheels vs a stock wheel tub.

greenhaze20

I would like to have two sets of tires and rims. One set standard size (burn outs) and a second set that is for driving hoosier 29x15.50/15. In order to do this i need to keep the rear end the same length 60.5 and use the rim to let the big tire fit under the car 9inch backspace 3in on the front side (12 inch rim). The wheel wells are not a concern at all, those can be altered later on.

c00nhunterjoe

Are you set on the 15.5 inch tire for a reason? Are you making 1500 horsepower? Or is it strictly for looks?

greenhaze20

I like the look and looking to make around 1,000hp. Plus I already bought the tires.

c00nhunterjoe

Then it looks like you are tubbing the car and going with a 4 link

greenhaze20

No, that not what i am doing. Over the weekend i figured out that stock ride height is 27inches from the floor to the top of the wheel well. I then started to measure for the front rim and tire.
The stock tire is a
14 inch rim
26 tall
4.5 backspace
6 1/2 tread width.

I am looking to get a 15 inch rim by 8in wide. With the stock tire when the wheel is turned one way the tire is close to the frame rail, it looks like i will have to go with a 3.5 inch backspace or even a 3 to get a bigger tire then then stock. Still not sure about how to calculate clearance from the tire to the fender well, when turning the wheel and when the car will bounce or sag.  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

Then how are you going to get a 29x15.5 under the rear without tubbing the car?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: greenhaze20 on January 21, 2019, 03:35:27 PM
Yes, car been modified to fit that size tire. Hoosier says that tire should go on a rim from 11 to 14 inches but American vintiques doesn't seem to have a wider rim.

As per your quote, the car is already modified to fit that tire. So how did you do it if its not been cut?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: greenhaze20 on February 17, 2019, 08:43:26 AM
No, that not what i am doing. Over the weekend i figured out that stock ride height is 27inches from the floor to the top of the wheel well. I then started to measure for the front rim and tire.
The stock tire is a
14 inch rim
26 tall
4.5 backspace
6 1/2 tread width.

I am looking to get a 15 inch rim by 8in wide. With the stock tire when the wheel is turned one way the tire is close to the frame rail, it looks like i will have to go with a 3.5 inch backspace or even a 3 to get a bigger tire then then stock. Still not sure about how to calculate clearance from the tire to the fender well, when turning the wheel and when the car will bounce or sag.  :scratchchin:

What are you modifying on the front of the car to accommodate that much tire? I ran a 26x9.6x15 up front and it hit the fender brace and the front leading edge of the fender and  my front end was raised up considerably higher then most. You are talking about a 3 inch taller tire in your op. You have not given any details about what you have changed, yet claim the car is already modified to fit these massive tires front and rear,then turn around and say you are not going to cut up the car. Which is it?

c00nhunterjoe

Alright, here is a 13.5 under my b body. PLEASE tell me how you did a 15 without tubbing the car and going 4 link and keeping the tire under the car.