News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona grill dimensions

Started by BS27ROB, January 24, 2019, 12:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BS27ROB

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a problem I'm having. I am trying to assemble a steel nose assembly and although the parts look nice individually they don't play well together. Most parts I have been able to decide which needed a little massaging, but the grill to nose fit I'm not sure which is the offending part. The top of the grill measures about 2 13/16 from the face of the bottom, and the bottom is about 2 5/8 from the top face. I'm including some pictures that I hope will show the situation. Any help is appreciated.

Cy

A383Wing

I just measured my grille frame on my car......it was NOS when I bought it back in the mid 90's

Top measures approx 2-3/4" from point to top of grille

Bottom measures approx 2-5/8" from point to bottom of grille

Looks like the holes will line up on your nosecone.....but whoever layed out that cone, needs to do it over.....way too much gap on the grille frame

Bryan

BS27ROB

Thanks for taking the time to measure it. I was fairly certain the nose cone was the part that needed to be modified, but wanted to be sure before I started. Maybe another question. I can see the top of the grill has a slight bow (incrementally farther from the hood in the center than the ends). Does the bottom have any similar bow or should it be straight across?

A383Wing

Looking at my grille frame, and laying a straight edge across the frame, the top of the frame has a slight bow to it, as you say, farther from the hood in the center......the bottom is opposite, closer in the center to the center of the car.....in my estimation, the bow in both top & bottom looks to be equal

See if these pics help you

Bryan

BS27ROB

Thanks again for the help Bryan.

DAY CLONA

I'll concur the above measurements that you Cy, and Brian have regarding the grill frame are exactly what I have for my repro grill frames, and yes the "bow/curve" across the top is the same for the bottom, if you put a straight edge from corner to corner, the "bow/curve" depression/concave is a healthy 1/8" gap from the straight edge

Mike

Moparpoolman

Who made the nosecone?  Maybe they have their own grille frames that will fit better.

BS27ROB

It's a Gregory nose cone, and since the grill looks to be corrrect, I'll just fix the cone. Thanks for the thought.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BS27ROB on January 26, 2019, 10:47:57 AM
It's a Gregory nose cone, and since the grill looks to be corrrect, I'll just fix the cone. Thanks for the thought.

Who made the grill frame ?

The Gregory grill frames fit the Gregory nose cones MUCH better than what you have.  :Twocents:

I don't have a nose cone assembled right now, but I'll go out to the garage and see about mocking up a grill frame and taking a couple of pictures.

Daytona R/T SE

Some pictures of the grill frame on the nose cone top and bottom plates that I have.

These are Gean Gregory parts.

BS27ROB

I'm not sure who made the grill, I bought it from odcics2. The nose is definitely Gregory, I bought it from Gene himself. The grill seems to measure very similar to Bryans. The center bottom panel on the nose just doesn't seem quite right. On the left side of the opening, the corner tapered in, instead of being square and the gap from the grill is actually wider on the left than the right. It was assembled when I bought it, maybe it just wasn't quite fit up right when it was welded together.

BS27ROB

I bought it from him off Ebay. In the ad he stated it was an original nose but I figured it was just one of his. It doesn't look like the pictures Daytona R/T SE posted. Not sure what to think.

odcics2

I know for a fact the frame you got from me fit on a original nose!
I chose to go NOS for the #88.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

BS27ROB

I was pretty sure I remembered you said it fit well. I was going on the thought that the nose needed tweeking, just trying to get some direction as to what was correct.

BS27ROB

I wonder if it could be an original nose. It sure doesn't look the same.

A383Wing

why does that nose you have look like a fiberglass nose??

At least it does to me on my screen

Bryan

BS27ROB

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BS27ROB on January 26, 2019, 03:35:42 PM
I bought it from him off Ebay. In the ad he stated it was an original nose but I figured it was just one of his. It doesn't look like the pictures Daytona R/T SE posted. Not sure what to think.

I don't think the nose you got from Gean is one that he made.

I see a few subtle differences between the nose cone you have compared to the nose cones I have that I recently got from Gean.  :Twocents:

I know a few years ago he had one that he claimed was NOS...

I'm thinking that might be the one you got.  :scratchchin:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

This car got a Gean Nose build in the late 80's or early 90's  the grille opening was wrong size and wayne had to have the grille frame modified to make it fit at all

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE