News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pictures of roll bars/cages

Started by moonshiner, January 28, 2019, 11:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonshiner

Does anyone have any pics of rollbars you've installed into 68 or 69 chargers? I want a simple 4 point with rear supports down through rear package tray. Any pics would be great. Thanks.

cdr

Awesome work, but not legal for Drag Racing, NHRA,IHRA
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Quote from: cdr on January 29, 2019, 01:56:52 PM
Awesome work, but not legal for Drag Racing, NHRA,IHRA
Yep, the car is being built to my specs.  Not rule book specs. :thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Why are your specs different then the rule book?  :scratchchin:

kent

I'm thinking appearance?? Like cdr said "awesome work"
Kent

Lennard

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 29, 2019, 05:30:40 PM
Why are your specs different then the rule book?  :scratchchin:
Because I just told Chris how I wanted it, I don't care if it meets some organization's criteria.
I just want be able to get in and out of my car without having to climb over the door bar and have people sit on the back seat without them having to be a contortionist.

Bobs69

Quote from: Lennard on January 29, 2019, 06:03:23 PM
Because I just told Chris how I wanted it, I don't care if it meets some organization's criteria.
I just want be able to get in and out of my car without having to climb over the door bar and have people sit on the back seat without them having to be a contortionist.

Fantastic.  Do what makes YOU happy.

Mike DC

Copy the 'Dukes' 2005 movie car rollcages in the rear area.  They sort of repeated a mirror-image of the front half of the cage, at least around the roof/window area.  They sent the slanted bars straight down through the package tray.  They had a bar going across at the top of the rear window, mirroring the front tube in the sun visor area.

This is one of the DVD extras from the 2007 'beginning' Dukes movie (it sucked). Look at 12:27-12:30.  You can see how the rear bars were run through the package shelf.  They cut away bigger holes than necessary but you get the idea.  The bars continued down (no more bends in the tubes below the shelf) to hit the trunkfloor atop the frame rails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLffLXFO_8

If anyone rides in the rear then you'd better pad the bars well.  This means the more expensive 'hard' padding, not the regular foam stuff most people use.  Imagine hitting one of those tubes by swinging a baseball bat (your skull) - the force will go right through any kind of soft padding.  It needs to be more dense.  

Some people say you cannot make a rollcage safe for un-helmeted passengers.  That's true.  

But the OEM design is a metal roof with a piece of vinyl fabric over it, no padding at all, and the roof has little crush protection.  Nobody in this hobby scolds other guys for driving stock restored cars.  We have a funny way of overlooking unsafe things just because we are used to them.  

No car is perfectly safe.  Some setups are safer than others.  

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Lennard on January 29, 2019, 06:03:23 PM

Dont have to get defensive. Was a legitimate honest question. The nhra rulebook was written for safety, not appearance. And swingout bars are legal and would be much easier to get into then your door setup. I can swing the bar open and slide in like a normal car but have full side protection legal.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: moonshiner on January 28, 2019, 11:24:41 PM
Does anyone have any pics of rollbars you've installed into 68 or 69 chargers? I want a simple 4 point with rear supports down through rear package tray. Any pics would be great. Thanks.

S&w makes nice kits in steel or moly. They have the seat saver bars optional that follow the roof and down through the package tray like you want.

Mike DC

Here's some pics from the video I linked above.

Those big holes in the rear shelf were overkill.  There are smaller square holes near the correct spot from the factory.  You could move the bars a little and run them through the OEM holes, or just enlarge the OEM holes a bit without hogging out the whole area so much. 

(The movie crew was building about 20 copies of that cage in a rush.  Many of the cars were either partial shells or scheduled for wrecking.  Not surprising that they got sloppy about cutting the holes.)

RallyeMike

Quoteand have people sit on the back seat without them having to be a contortionist.

They still have to be one to get to the back seat anyway :lol:

Aesthetically it looks great.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/