News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger trunk gaps and spare tire brackets

Started by riggs626, January 29, 2019, 02:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

I'm restoring my 68 charger and working on the trunk but I wanted to see on the filler panels if there is supposed to be a gap between the trunk pan and quarters and if so does everyone leave the gap or seal it? also looking for the measurements of where to weld the spare tire brackets

kent

Seal it with I believe they call it dum dum seam sealer. As for the placement of the brackets just do a search of trunk or trunk pans and you should find a lot of pictures of where they go. I know the one that goes nearest the wheel well  hangs over a little. I have picture of mine but there is better pictures on here.

Good luck.
Kent

VegasCharger

Are you referring to this gap?? (see red arrows in pic below).

If so, NO do not seal that area where it meets the quarter panel.

:cheers:

kent

I'm thinking he must be referring to the wheel tubs, wheel wells. No?? Kind of a large deep gap between the trunk floor pan and the wheel wells that was filled with seam sealer. The trunk extension gap would take quite a bit to fill that gap.lol
Kent

kent

Here's a picture of my trunk. You can see the gap I thought he might have been asking about by the wheel tub. You can also see the spare tire brackets if you look close enough. You can see how the left tire bracket is over hanging. My original floor was like this. The tire hold down bracket is in the original spot but the tire brackets are not symmetrical. Different distances from the right and left tire brackets from the tire hold down bracket. If you can understand what I'm trying to say. I just mirrored my original floor. I also searched several pictures on here and the 70 forum and they more or less looked the same as my original.
Kent

kent

[quote

If so, NO do not seal that area where it meets the quarter panel.

[/quote]

I shouldn't of laughed VegasCharger. I seen a car once that was filled in there with tar. Bridged the gap and had her filled in.
Kent

riggs626

yea that is the gap I was talking about the driver side is a lot wider no wonder the quarters always rotted down there

kent

Kent

VegasCharger

The OP asked "if there is supposed to be a gap between the trunk pan and quarters" (see red bold below from the original post).

Quote from: riggs626 on January 29, 2019, 02:13:35 PM
I'm restoring my 68 charger and working on the trunk but I wanted to see on the filler panels if there is supposed to be a gap between the trunk pan and quarters and if so does everyone leave the gap or seal it? also looking for the measurements of where to weld the spare tire brackets

.....not hard to figure out. Nothing said about wheel well housings. :shruggy:

With that being said, there is a plug (approx. 2" dia.) at the forward section of the lower part of the trunk extension (see pic below). It's purpose was to be removed periodically to clean out the trapped debris, dirt etc. Practically no owners of these cars did this and as time went on the quarters rusted out due to condensation trapped between the outer skin and trunk extension.

:cheers: