News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Value

Started by 73rallye440magnum, November 09, 2005, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon Slayer

I am curious how a restoration like this with all the auxiliary parts is viewed?  Everyone can provide input on paint/body work, etc...  It has a matching drive train, which I assume means matching body numbers and vin.  But what about correct alternator, Brake system, Power Steering, jacks, trim, interior parts, wheels, etc....   All the stuff folks nitpick on cars when looking at the For Sale pictures.  I heard mention of concourse restoration.  If this stuff is missing or not original and correct.  Do you chase it or just go with reproduction and close enough stuff.  How does that effect the price or cost of the restoration.

Mopar John

Dragon Slayer,
To me a concourse or concours restoration is normally a 1,000 point judging that is fine with new reproduction and replacement parts.
A popular and respected venue for this is the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals near Chicago the weekend before thanksgiving.
On the other hand a true O.E. judging will use around 2,500 points and you receive deductions for any parts that are not original.
Right now there is not a clear cut venue for that level of judging.
The long standing Mopar Nationals judging group retired years ago and the standards have changed almost every year since.
The price of an O.E. restoration is much higher due to the attention of detail and the cost of original or NOS parts.
MJ

nascarxx29

His other Daytona XX29J9B379743 was a local car that started off as a stripped shell in 1978
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Hemi Daytona story xx29J9b379743
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on February 01, 2019, 10:08:03 AM
Dragon Slayer,
To me a concourse or concours restoration is normally a 1,000 point judging that is fine with new reproduction and replacement parts.
A popular and respected venue for this is the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals near Chicago the weekend before thanksgiving.
On the other hand a true O.E. judging will use around 2,500 points and you receive deductions for any parts that are not original.
The long standing Mopar Nationals judging group retired years ago and the standards have changed almost every year since.
The price of an O.E. restoration is much higher due to the attention of detail and the cost of original or NOS parts.
MJ

Not to forget all the items, including interior and exterior trim pieces, that are date coded...

:Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Dragon Slayer

Quote from: Mopar John on February 01, 2019, 10:08:03 AM
Dragon Slayer,
MJ
Thank you.  Interested in other views.  I love OEM, but could never afford to restore one like that, nor have the patients to wait to find stuff.  But what is the price difference for close to 1000pt restoration with reproduction, versus a 75 percent but all original and OEM stuff?

To me, the old adage of do not invest in rolling stock, and it is cheaper to buy a restored car then restore a car matters.  Seem like buying one that needs restoration as an investment is really a non starter unless you can steal it dirt cheap.  You easily can get over your head, unless you have the skill to do all the work limiting labor cost.   

held1823

keep in mind that a project car may be the only way into daytona ownership for someone without the funds to purchase a finished example.

some choose to (over?) spend out of love for these cars, rather than as an investment. wise? perhaps not. understandable? absolutely
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on February 02, 2019, 01:50:44 AM
keep in mind that a project car may be the only way into daytona ownership for someone without the funds to purchase a finished example.

some choose to (over?) spend out of love for these cars, rather than as an investment. wise? perhaps not. understandable? absolutely

A labor of love for some.

Some folks get that and some don't.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69_500

The 2 Daytona at BJ give you a good example of what original parts, vs reproduction parts.

$180 on one, other over $300.