News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wet-Sanding Check:

Started by Captain D, January 31, 2019, 12:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hey Gents,

Just thought that I would do a wet-sanding check, if I may please, before the season opens up in a few months. I got from 'Santa Claus' a new multi-speed orbiter & the (pricey) 3M 1,2,3 step polish bottles. Anyhow, just thought that I would double-check the correct order of steps. For minor wet sanding, is this order correct?

1.) Soak the wet/dry sandpaper in a bucket of water overnight (all I personally need is 2500 grit),
2.) Frequently wet the car panel surface,
3.) Use the sandpaper attached to sanding block evenly across the wet car panel,
4.) Use a 300 / 350 grit sanding block,
5.) And, steps 1, 2, 3 of the 3M cream with orbiter.
6.) Apply wax & buff smooth with microfiber towel.

Is this order about right? Anything out of place / need to add, etc.? Of course, I'll practice on my daily driver vehicle first and it's nothing major blemish-wise with my car. Just wanted to learn how to do it myself vs. relying on body shops. I did this once before about a year ago & learned from the shop that painted my car, but we moved rather quickly so I 'believe' this was all we did.

Thanks for for your time and info!

c00nhunterjoe

Unless something happened to your paint since the last time i saw it, the only thing that should touch your car is claybar and wax.

c00nhunterjoe

And be extra careful around the decals, especially  "general lee"

hemi-hampton

I've used many different sanding blocks but what's a 350 grit sanding block? 2500 grit is extremely fine to start with, it would not do much to the surface. Also nowadays most people just use a D.A. Sander to sand before rubbing. Also if your using 2500 grit to start you might not need all 3 of the 3m polish's. Polish's like your 3 would probably be #1 course polish, #2 medium polish & #3 fine polish. nowadays to make things faster & simpler people prefer to finish with 3000 wet on D.A. with Interface pad & then just polish with a fine polish, eliminating the course polish usually used when you finish with 1000-1500 grit. LEON.

c00nhunterjoe

Ive seen his car in person. Its show car quality, babys butt smooth. Would not take any course compound to it imo.

JB400

hemi-hampton

If this thing is already nice as is why wet sand & rub at all? :scratchchin: :shruggy:

c00nhunterjoe

As i had said, unless i missed something last time i saw it, no sandpaper or abrasive compound should touch that paint. Claybar and wax.

Captain D

Thanks guys for the replies & compliments (I forgot that I had sent that pic to you, lol). Nothing has changed on the body since that pic was taken - I just got some goodies for Christmas because folks @ home know that I like to try & maintain stuff vs. always calling the body shop. But, yeah, just ways to learn new things & how to eliminate mini imperfections that only I can see, lol!

Btw, the dude welding up a lil' something on the tail-end of my Charger is a real life 'Cooter' in that he can fix anything & I highly recommend his shop to anyone, ;). I just took too many jumps across the river in my GL, ha ha...

c00nhunterjoe

I love how i carefully hid my face behind the tire. Lol. But seriously,  your paint does not need wetsanding.