News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

shifter handle

Started by 71chargerrtclone, February 01, 2019, 10:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71chargerrtclone

I was interested in putting a 68-70 Mopar Performance Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter - P4510610 in my 1971 charger that has a console. I have the tremic 5 speed. Will it fit without hitting something?

DAY CLONA

You'll be shifting from the back seat with that thing

XH29N0G

I have a tremec TKO and found that it made a difference not to have the long shifter that would have come with the transmission and been equivalent to what I had with the original transmission. 

What I ended up doing was research on what made a shifter have a small versus big throw and then doing the math to find what would work best.  Then I modified it further.  If I recall, the throw relates to the length of the lever arm, so I had to do some sort of pythagorian type math square root of [(side to side)^2 + (up down)^2 + (front to back)^2] to get the shortest distance, then I chose the shifter that would fit with my seat.  I have a bench seat and different year, so likely different from yours.

Anyway, the long and short of this is, that I bet there are other pistol grip shifter options and you can look for them.  and compare and calculate to get what you like. 

I don't know about the back seat, but I did have a shifter at one point that seemed like it was at shoulder height and was like using a broomstick.  You want to avoid that if possible. 

Good luck,]
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....