News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger door glass stainless trim. Plastic guide?

Started by INTMD8, February 03, 2019, 03:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Hello,

I'm seeing this in photos but having trouble finding. 

The stainless trim that attaches to the rear of the door windows, seems to be a plastic guide of some sort below the seal that goes in the back channel (which seals to the quarter window front edge).

Any assistance with the name of that part is appreciated.  Thanks!
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

BLK 68 R/T

Not sure of the name, but are you looking for reproduction ones? or do you not have them at all? I don't think 68 cars had it, mine doesn't. So if yours are missing, its possible you have left over 68 trim that was used on your 69?

green69rt

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 03, 2019, 03:56:09 PM
Hello,

I'm seeing this in photos but having trouble finding.  

The stainless trim that attaches to the rear of the door windows, seems to be a plastic guide of some sort below the seal that goes in the back channel (which seals to the quarter window front edge).

Any assistance with the name of that part is appreciated.  Thanks!

Let me see if I can describe it better.  There is a stainless channel that is attached to the front window that has a felt on the back that the quarter window seals to.  That felt is reproduced.  Send a note to 69Bfan.  Good source.

Pic #1 is this the seal??

Pic #2 what they are called.

BLK 68 R/T

I was thinking of this part, the little plastic block with the spring at the bottom of the seal?

green69rt

Hadn't thought about that.  No repro as far as I know.

69bfan

The piece of plastic / nylon that the original post was concerning was the piece that I circled that clearly shows the piece in question.  The picture that BLK 68 R/T is an excellent example of the various pieces that are involved in the restoration of the door and quarter glass seals.  From that picture, you can see the vent window gasket, the mylar glass channel run that is attached to the front edge of the door glass, the quarter glass seal, the lockside channel which has a flocked extrusion to protect the door glass and ease operation and the window felt.   Also, within the lockside channel, there is a similar piece of nylon which helps to put pressure on the glass.  As I recall, it is not used on the channel for the post/sedan cars.

And it is those small pieces of nylon that Jim initially started the post inquiring about the availability.  To my knowledge, they are not available in the reproduction world.  I have never seen one to be in a excessively bad shape, but you never know.  I cannot imagine it would be that difficult to fabricate, just a bit time consuming.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

green69rt

If the OP needs those nylon pieces then he'll need to advertise.  They're a little complicated.  They also need a spring on the back(available at ACE hardware), picture attached of the back side(with broken spring).  I have the one shown if it will help.

INTMD8

You guys are right on all counts!  I already have the seals, front channel and rear channel pieces from Richard  :cheers:

The trim pieces that came with my car were missing the plastic pieces and springs. In fact, one was damaged and the one I bought on ebay to replace it was missing that piece as well.

The purpose of the circle piece, is that mostly to tighten up fitment in the guide or to keep that seal from sliding down in the channel?

Either way, I will do some looking around. Thanks!
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on February 05, 2019, 09:50:27 PM
I was thinking of this part, the little plastic block with the spring at the bottom of the seal?

In this pic it shows the guide/seal that goes on the front edge of the door glass. Not sure what it is called. It's lying on the OEM bag in your picture. Do you happen to know the part number? Thanks.

green69rt

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on February 13, 2019, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on February 05, 2019, 09:50:27 PM

In this pic it shows the guide/seal that goes on the front edge of the door glass. Not sure what it is called. It's lying on the OEM bag in your picture. Do you happen to know the part number? Thanks.

That piece you're talking about is getting really scarce!  Notice the one in the picture is curved.  That was a original out of my car.  OEM has the curve.  I have bought repros but they are straight and somewhat harder to get on, in fact they are a real bear to get on.  I ruined one and had to buy another set.  I don't know if the OEM parts are available, probably not.   The repros may be out there but also getting scarce.  Talk to 69Bfan.

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: 69bfan on February 06, 2019, 12:06:28 AM
The piece of plastic / nylon that the original post was concerning was the piece that I circled that clearly shows the piece in question.  The picture that BLK 68 R/T is an excellent example of the various pieces that are involved in the restoration of the door and quarter glass seals.  From that picture, you can see the vent window gasket, the mylar glass channel run that is attached to the front edge of the door glass, the quarter glass seal, the lockside channel which has a flocked extrusion to protect the door glass and ease operation and the window felt.   Also, within the lockside channel, there is a similar piece of nylon which helps to put pressure on the glass.  As I recall, it is not used on the channel for the post/sedan cars.

And it is those small pieces of nylon that Jim initially started the post inquiring about the availability.  To my knowledge, they are not available in the reproduction world.  I have never seen one to be in a excessively bad shape, but you never know.  I cannot imagine it would be that difficult to fabricate, just a bit time consuming.

I appreciate the help. I looked on your site but the only thing showing for Chargers are for third gens. One more question...In this pic, the circle on the left, which is the stainless piece between the door glass and quarter glass...Is this a '69 and up thing? I just looked at mine from my 68 and its straight felt all the way down. I don't see where the nylon and spring would even go on my piece. Thanks again.

Dino

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on February 14, 2019, 03:26:38 PM

I appreciate the help. I looked on your site but the only thing showing for Chargers are for third gens. One more question...In this pic, the circle on the left, which is the stainless piece between the door glass and quarter glass...Is this a '69 and up thing? I just looked at mine from my 68 and its straight felt all the way down. I don't see where the nylon and spring would even go on my piece. Thanks again.

That's how my 68 was as well. The 69 has the springs.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on February 14, 2019, 03:26:38 PM
Quote from: 69bfan on February 06, 2019, 12:06:28 AM
The piece of plastic / nylon that the original post was concerning was the piece that I circled that clearly shows the piece in question.  The picture that BLK 68 R/T is an excellent example of the various pieces that are involved in the restoration of the door and quarter glass seals.  From that picture, you can see the vent window gasket, the mylar glass channel run that is attached to the front edge of the door glass, the quarter glass seal, the lockside channel which has a flocked extrusion to protect the door glass and ease operation and the window felt.   Also, within the lockside channel, there is a similar piece of nylon which helps to put pressure on the glass.  As I recall, it is not used on the channel for the post/sedan cars.

And it is those small pieces of nylon that Jim initially started the post inquiring about the availability.  To my knowledge, they are not available in the reproduction world.  I have never seen one to be in a excessively bad shape, but you never know.  I cannot imagine it would be that difficult to fabricate, just a bit time consuming.

The circle on the right doesn't show it but there is another nylon block on that channel.  In any case....

I'm not an expert on 68 but I seem to remember that the nylon block things only started on 69.  For 68, no block and no spring.  It may be build date dependent.  :shruggy: