News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looks like PCV system is plugged up

Started by aifilaw, February 04, 2019, 10:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aifilaw

I was swapping head gaskets anyways while I was repairing oil leaks (I think it's splashing up and getting where the distributer is, also onto the headers... needed to silicone help the rubber valve cover gaskets, so it's turned into a complete head gasket and above redo)
And popped the driver-side valve cover off and found this condensation buildup of milky petroleum jelly-like water+oil that hasn't been burned off. 

Gross... looks like I need to replace PCV breather and check valve.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

c00nhunterjoe

There isnt much onthese to plug up. How long has it been sitting? Any temperature change? Appears to be water and not coolant

aifilaw

About two weeks since I last drove it. Yeah, not coolant. I set it aside while I was swapping head gaskets and looked at it the next day and there is no trace of water, all evaporated.
PCV is meant to take care of issues like these. But I had seen a little milkiness on the dip-tube and that's what made me think there was a blown head gasket or coolant getting into my oil somehow.
Had lots of random oil leaks showing up on the headers, in the valley by the distributer, and down the back of the engine. So it was time to just swap head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets...just do everything, do it right with plenty of silicone and see if I can't solve all the problems at once.

c00nhunterjoe

If you have that many oil leaks and cant get valve covers to seal on a machined head surface and have excessive moisture, im leaning towards blowby. No pcv system or silicone will stop that. Would have helped to air the cylinders prior to tearing it apart. Pop some valve springs and make sure the guides are tight while its out.

aifilaw

compression test came back fine. guides are good as new. Just a lot of moisture in the air and PCV wasn't connected at all, just a gunked up breather on each side.
I haven't looked in there yet since I fixed it all and drove it. I'll wait till after a long drive and check again.