News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Color change on bird.

Started by 62 Max, February 06, 2019, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 Max

Would like a few opinions on changing color.Have a friend that has a EW1 sixpack bird that he has had for 30 + yrs,having thoughts of changing color to B5,just tired of white.As for decreasing value,doesn't matter to him as he will have it as long as he is alive,after that it would be a family matter.He has had a lot of comments both pro and con,his only hesitation at this point is the time and work involved.Your thoughts.

Daytona R/T SE

odcics2

Do what you want.
Family will sell it off for whatever they can get later.
It won't matter to them...!!!  Will just be less money to split up!   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

WINGIN IT

IMO it will affect overall value.
Whether the current owner cares about future value after he is gone is up to him.

On a white  bird, I would either do some custom old school graphics that were easily reversible compared to a paint job , or  do a vinyl wrap to his liking.  :Twocents:

birdsandbees

Someone thought it was a good idea on mine to paint it yellow in 1988 or so before I bought it. I think it was a good call from white. The next guy can restore it back to EW1...  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 62 Max on February 06, 2019, 10:28:27 AM
Would like a few opinions on changing color.Have a friend that has a EW1 sixpack bird that he has had for 30 + yrs,having thoughts of changing color to B5,just tired of white.As for decreasing value,doesn't matter to him as he will have it as long as he is alive,after that it would be a family matter.He has had a lot of comments both pro and con,his only hesitation at this point is the time and work involved.Your thoughts.

He should do whatever he wishes with it, why worry about value, or the next owner, enjoy it as one wishes....

Wingnut426

Have the car "wrapped".  The cost of a paint job will probably be more than having this done.  :Twocents:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Y1CHARGER

Buy a blue bird, sell your white bird, even if the blue bird cost more than what you would get for yours, the cost of the paint job added to your bird will probably be a wash.   :coolgleamA:

taxspeaker

Quote from: odcics2 on February 06, 2019, 11:15:56 AM
Do what you want.
Family will sell it off for whatever they can get later.
It won't matter to them...!!!  Will just be less money to split up!   

Here, Here Do what you want!!

RallyeMike

Quotehis only hesitation at this point is the time and work involved.Your thoughts.

So the question really isn't about the ins/out of a color change, but the time and cost of doing it. If so,

1. How much extra time and cash does he have available to blow?
2. Will blowing it be equal or lesser than the satisfaction he will get from seeing it in blue?

Therein lies the answer, or alternatively, do whatever the wife says.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hemi68charger

If he wants to change the color, by all means change the color.. Just make sure it is done correctly and the process of doing so doesn't damage any parts in the process of disassembly. Is it going to be a MAACO paint job or a correct one in which everything is taken apart, nose and wings removed, etc... One has to take that into consideration.. Then there's the time it is down at the body shop.. That could turn into a year to multi-year ordeal.....

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Stevetona

Probably be cheaper and quicker to sell it and buy one in the color he wants. To change the color properly the whole car has to be disassembled and that would take a lot of time and money to do it right.

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevetona on February 07, 2019, 11:08:03 AM
Probably be cheaper and quicker to sell it and buy one in the color he wants. To change the color properly the whole car has to be disassembled and that would take a lot of time and money to do it right.
that or offer it for trade , maybe someone is looking for white  .    Nothing to lose and someone might come thru
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

charger_fan_4ever

49 year back order. Have at her with a paint gun. Yes you could sell and rebuy, but i take it this car has some sentimental value after owning it all these years.

DAY CLONA

Only thing just "buying" another vehicle rather than repainting what you already have is you might be buying someone else's hidden problems?, best to stay with the vehicle you know IMHO

62 Max

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 08, 2019, 12:58:19 AM

Only thing just "buying" another vehicle rather than repainting what you already have is you might be buying someone else's hidden problems?, best to stay with the vehicle you know IMHO

Correct,he has had this car a "long" time and overall condition is very nice,car has never been messed with,last thing I would do is replace with god knows what.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: 62 Max on February 08, 2019, 07:36:31 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 08, 2019, 12:58:19 AM

Correct,he has had this car a "long" time and overall condition is very nice,car has never been messed with,last thing I would do is replace with god knows what.

I agree , that makes a lot of sense in most cases.

But in YOUR case Bill you have a blue bird without God knows what you can trade with your friend   :yesnod:  :icon_smile_big: ;)

held1823

Quote from: 62 Max on February 08, 2019, 07:36:31 AM

you answered his/your own question right here, in the bold red font
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Y1CHARGER

Does the car have the original paint?  Survivor?  Original Drive train?  If yes to any of these questions, I would leave it alone or buy a different car.  Everybody always says they will have it forever BUT things happen, plans change and cars sometimes need to be sold.   :shruggy:

tan top

difficult question ,  25  years ago I would have said  WHAT CHANGE THE COLOR & deviate from the fendertag  :slap:  bad idea !  later thinking on this , I came to the conclusion ! life is short build & paint your car any color ! you like , your not building it to please anyone else except your self .... but if its unrestored original paint  etc & don't need restoring .... not sure I would tamper with it ,  buy another in the color you want , sounds a good idea , but  whos to know  how the next cars been restored & how well the works been carried out etc , you know your car & whats been done etc ,   good luck what ever you decide ,  IMO I like white  ;D  although like all the superbird factory colors   ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

62 Max

Quote from: tan top on February 09, 2019, 05:37:50 PM
difficult question ,  25  years ago I would have said  WHAT CHANGE THE COLOR & deviate from the fendertag  :slap:  bad idea !  later thinking on this , I came to the conclusion ! life is short build & paint your car any color ! you like , your not building it to please anyone else except your self .... but if its unrestored original paint  etc & don't need restoring .... not sure I would tamper with it ,  buy another in the color you want , sounds a good idea , but  whos to know  how the next cars been restored & how well the works been carried out etc , you know your car & whats been done etc ,   good luck what ever you decide ,  IMO I like white  ;D  although like all the superbird factory colors   ;)

He has read most of what you guys opinions were/are,at this point he is undecided but as for another car,that is out of the question.His age and financial and cost for another car makes that a definite no.My best guess is that in the end he will let it as is but you never know.

On another note,I came real close to changing the color on my bird in 82 when I bought it.It had been changed from EK2 to V2 with yellow stripes and I came real close to going with Y1,in the end I decided to stay with the EK2 and never regretted it.

aerolith

Very interesting subject indeed! COLO(U)R CHANGING.

As we all know White and Black are not actual colors, nor is PINK, but who would paint a Birdie PINK??? :slap:

White is a mixture of ALL colors (as our eyes see it) and black is the absence of color all together.

B5 is and always was my favourite Mopar color and I believed that everyone liked it too?
Then I met a Moparman who hated it with vengeance and that got me to thinking :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: (he owns a white Birdie and loves it). :pity: :pity: :pity:

Maybe there are better colors than B5 and that FLAT, non metallic's are just as good, (as per the Birdie above).

So I gave up the idea of doing my C500 in B5 and now am totally happy with F8 green, once a color much hated around the World... :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

So why are there WHITE cars?

My sister in law always buys white car as they are CHEAPER!
Another friend likes white cars because they are safer to drive in a GRAY country like England lol... ::)

Mopar used White for PILOT-cars like the 71 Hemi-Cuda convert, that no one wanted until it became Mega rare and Valuable! :smilielol:

Ask yourself this, would you in 1970 go into a Mopar Dealership and order a WHITE BIRDIE???
You had seven choices and probably not a great selection to ponder on.

For me a toss-up between EB5 and 999 Petty Blue??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
But after what the 'King' said about his 'Petty bird' it would still be EB5 for me.

Color changing was very popular once the original paint started to fade or wear through, so like any 're-model' you changed the color! :shruggy:
Now most cars are being 'put back' and originality is the 'name of the game'.

A Birdie of any color would 'rock my World' as my chance of owning one has passed me by.
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

This Petty Bird was so hated by its UK owner he painted it RED, back in the day!
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

He now owns this Birdie (LUCKY GUY) John Castleman... :cheers:

This Birdie was painted 'Black' when he bought it back in the late Eighties. :2thumbs:

Who would paint a B5 blue birdie Black? :brickwall:

Different (brush) strokes for different FOLKS... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623